• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Polecat

What's the difference in flight?

Not much difference in flight, but the 175g Champ can take more power on a throw (we are not talking Lizzotte 700-ft.-driving power, of course), while the 150-class discs don't need hardly any energy at all to get moving and glide to the destination.

I wanted to love the polecat but it seemed too "in between"

Just a smidge too glidey for me. Stays on-angle well but for a point-and-shoot brick I can't imagine a better disc than the birdie. Yes, I'm aware it isn't "cool" but man I love that disc. If I'm looking for more glide on a straight finishing disc I'm going straight Anode/Serpent/Dart etc.

Is the birdie thumb trac?

Pulled a very old 175 DX polecat outta storage this weekend. Very curious to try it out here. Don't remember how these things fly. Pairing it with another disc I don't remember using an XT colt. Going to really mix things up. I could use some effortless float outta my approaching

I just bought a bunch of Upshots from GGGT dirt cheap. I prefer the kitty, but for 3.99 a pop I'm gonna start converting golfer friends to lids.

Yes... But i believe they may have made some without. I may be wrong.

They were originally produced, I believe, during the Piranha's earlier Thumbtrac days with an Aviar top. Then the Piranha became the Birdie with the Rhyno's Thumbtrac. Or something like that.

They were originally produced, I believe, during the Piranha's earlier Thumbtrac days with an Aviar top. Then the Piranha became the Birdie with the Rhyno's Thumbtrac. Or something like that.

Would the original Piranha in Champ be close to a Stego? I kinda want one now if I have my discs correct.

Is the birdie thumb trac?

Yes... But i believe they may have made some without. I may be wrong.

I don't believe they've had a thumbtracless Birdie since the circle stamp days. But they do exist.

OG Birdie was Aviar top (early '91-'92). Retooled with a more squared top, didn't get retooled a second time until '98 where it became Thumtrac-ed.

The original Piranha had a small yet tall Thumbtrac around 93' and was the most overstable Piranha. Retooled to small and short Thumbtrac I don't know exactly when, and was less overstable. Second retooling (third version) became the '98 Birdie I just mentioned ^there.

Would the original Piranha in Champ be close to a Stego? I kinda want one now if I have my discs correct.

Doesn't exist unless the proshop ran a unique run somehow.

I've heard that the original Thumbtrac top broke so the only "Champ Piranha" is the Champ Birdie. I have one of the newer ones, and I remember it being a serious brick, but it's no Stego. If you consider the Rhyno to be an overstable Aviar, the Birdie is the Rhyno to the Polecat's Aviar.

Last edited:
I contradicted myself:doh: Champ Thumbtrac Birdies were ran like TB said, so second retool/third version Piranhas are Champ Birdies I suppose. Whoops?

Hmm. I'll definitely have to check one of those out. Looks like it could be a better compliment to my rhyno than the nova

Dug through my stuff yesterday to get ready for spring, found a stray polecat.

Big dumb grin lit up my face. In the bag she goes! First round of spring went well and it got the job done as usual. Welcome back. There is no disc that feels as good in my hand as a kitty.

So who here throws the last run of champ cats and can tel me how they wear in?

Not sure if my two Champ Polecats are the last run, but I've been throwing one of them constantly for many months now, playing 4 to 5 times per week, hitting trees, the ground, the metal of the baskets, and the concrete bases of the baskets... and there's no wear-in at all, it flies the same as when I first got it.

Not sure if my two Champ Polecats are the last run, but I've been throwing one of them constantly for many months now, playing 4 to 5 times per week, hitting trees, the ground, the metal of the baskets, and the concrete bases of the baskets... and there's no wear-in at all, it flies the same as when I first got it.

Sounds beautiful.

I need a plastic as durable as my love for the polecat.

Sounds beautiful.

I need a plastic as durable as my love for the polecat.

I've only thrown one of the champs, but I was underwhelmed by the glide. I'll stick with getting fresh DX when necessary, for my predominantly <75' use. Nevertheless, the champions handle a full rip really well and go ridonculously straight. You'd find a good use for one (or more), koda. And some are really pretty.

I've only thrown one of the champs, but I was underwhelmed by the glide. I'll stick with getting fresh DX when necessary, for my predominantly <75' use. Nevertheless, the champions handle a full rip really well and go ridonculously straight. You'd find a good use for one (or more), koda. And some are really pretty.

That's more my thing, for sure.

I love driving and longer approaches with fresh, heavier cats. I know it's not the same magic many of you guys enjoy, but instead I have a superhero for short approaches and basket runs outside controlled putting range. :)

Though sometimes the cat gets used there too. Today there was some breeziness that would have tossed the superhero too much. Polecat handled it. :)

It's fun coming back and seeing all the peeps here with polecats in their bags....it's becoming a strange world lately. Lots of new, weird discs.