• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Polecat

lammersk

Okay, so yesterday I'm in the midst of the trauma of replacing my beloved Rivers with Witnesses or possibly Diamonds (if the Frost plastic keeps throwing as well as it did today) because I have improved just barely enough that these discs are starting to consistently outperforming the Rivers. I come here to read something to take my mind away from the sorrow of pulling out of my bag the discs that made DG really start to click for me and I run across a bunch of older posts about the Polecat.

It's getting rave reviews. I think to myself, "Hmmm. I bought one of those a couple years ago. Never really used it. I wonder if it's still in the trunk of my car?" Then I go hunt it up and decide I'll try it out today.

As an aside, I spent over two years trying to find a putter that worked for me. Various Aviars did not cut it. A Ruby lasted about two weeks before it got so warped it was useless. A Dart filled the slot for a while until I realized my Dart and my Mako were basically the same disc and just started using the Mako for approach and putting. Then I found an MVP Eclipse Glow Proton Ion (literally; someone left an unmarked one on a course) and fell in love. It has been the best putter I've ever had. I bought two of my own and I really enjoy throwing it.

So, of course, the $8 DX Polecat outperformed the $20 Ion all day long. I swear, the disc has a homing instinct. Every time I threw an upshot with it, it would slooooooowly glide the 75 feet or so and land within a couple feet of the pin. The Ion wasn't slacking, but when I threw it from the same spot it landed further out 16 out of 18 pins.

So now I've got to consider replacing a cool looking putter that performs well with a goofy looking putter that works better. :wall: Oh well, one of the lessons the Army drove into my head when I was young and impressionable (you know, back when we used arrows and long swords) was that if it looks stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the good people here for adding to my bag angst. I'm afraid to read any more posts. The next one might recommend that I replace all my drivers with a Nova. :D

It's probably some combo of your form and Brain clicking with the Kitty, if it works bag it but don't kick the Ion completely.

Lids hate wind you may have a use.

First of all, welcome to the club. :thmbup:

Also, you may want to keep a putting putter too, I really don't think anyone is really using it for driving, upshots AND putting. Mainly driving/upshots. Keep the Ion or whatever as strictly a putter.

Keeping that Ion

Also, you may want to keep a putting putter too, I really don't think anyone is really using it for driving, upshots AND putting. Mainly driving/upshots. Keep the Ion or whatever as strictly a putter.

Yeah, I noticed that when I threw them both into the chains the Polecat had a tendency to bounce off of them if it hit them flat or even flatish while the Ion would slip sideways inside and catch more chains. It never bounced far enough to leave the basket, but it made me wary.

Have 2 brand new and 1 fairly new 175 DX polecats that I am trying to work with to clean up my approach game; currently I rely on a hyzer line with my wizards that I am really accurate with.

My problem with the polecat is it still has some decent fade at low speed where I was expecting more of a Rattler type flight. If I beat them in a bit can I expect the LSS to go first or am I going to end up with some freak that is high speed understable but keeps its fade?

Try the R-Pro if you don't want the fade. Just be careful around trees. The one I had was super straight but was super fragile. It's definitely a different animal from the DX.

Not too worried about trees; just want something that I can rely on for a throw in bid from 75-100 feet.

Could my problem be nose up? Not sure how sensitive these are but I got used to throwing my wizards nose up for aproach shots and could count on them dropping near the basket. These seem to wanna stay in the air a bit longer and fade more.

I don't think it's a node angle issue. My first Kitty was that R-Pro. When it got flippy, I switched to DX and immediately wondered where the fade came from.

When I used a DX for outside the circle putts I would snap it like crazy with nose up, and it would hold its line. Because it was so slow it still wouldn't run very far past the basket despite the spin.

The max weights Cats like to dump fade more noticeably when they slow down, I'd consider picking one up in the 160s as well.

The polecat has been lowering my score every round. I don't use it for driving or long upshots, just those shots that are outside of putting range to about 70 feet. I release with anhyzer and throw it high in the air so it straightens out and floats down to the basket. Occasionally I'll drain one but more importantly, my misses are always a short tap-in. About half of the baskets on my home course are on a slope, so rollaways are an issue. Not with the polecat. :thmbup:

Played 2 rounds tonight at a nearby short, wooded 9 hole course. I've been using this course to do one disc rounds with putters and mids. Tonight was a 17?g R-pro Polecat and a 168g FLX Buzzz. Holy cow! -2 with the Polecat tied my best at the course and was my best by 2 with one disc! Got a +1 with the Buzzz...it seems to like the trees. I wonder how my 150g DX Polecat will do?

I'm gonna have to give some more love to my Polecats!

So the R-Pro is straighter than the DX? Does that also mean it will turn over easier if I put some power into it? I've been searching for an approach disc that will hold straight even with a little bit of power unlike my current approach disc *cough* pure *cough*.

So the R-Pro is straighter than the DX? Does that also mean it will turn over easier if I put some power into it? I've been searching for an approach disc that will hold straight even with a little bit of power unlike my current approach disc *cough* pure *cough*.

The Polecat is easy to turn over with any OAT. If it is clean, it will fly nicely.

If you want something, that flies straight, can take power and is fairly resistant to OAT check out the Serpent. It doesn't really glide though and when you first get it, you will probably leave things short.

It will handle power. It will not handle torque. Not sure what distances you're talking about, but if you're over 200' the Axiom Neutron Proxy is another excellent choice, as is the Nova. I was an Opto Pure thrower until I threw the Proxy.

Latest posts