• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll: How often do you wash your discs?

How often do you wash your discs?

• After every round

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Once every few rounds

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • Once in a blue moon

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • What a weird question. Who washes discs anyway.

Votes: 61 35.9%

• Total voters

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Do you ever wash your discs with soap and water? I've noticed that they seem to get grip issues, what with the transfer of oils to the disc from your hands. But I've not seen anyone mention washing discs as something noobies should remember to do.

I'll wash them the first time I put them into a new bag. So twice since 2016 haha

edit: I do wash individual discs that land in poison ivy or excrement... With a LOT of soap and water!

Last edited:
I've never used soap. Water does just fine. I would guess I wash them in a sink or bathtub no more than twice per year, and then towel dry them. It's usually as part of preparing for a tournament, though sometimes after having played a particularly muddy round.

If it's just typical dirt from the course, I usually just wipe them with a towel. Sometimes I like a little bit of dry, fine dirt when it has an effect similar to using a WhaleSac/Birdie Bag. If the disc lands on something like dog poop, a dead animal, etc. then I'll wash it properly. If conditions are particularly muddy, I will also likely wash them. Also if it is a lost disc that makes its way back to me, I'll wash it just in case. So to answer the poll, once in a blue moon.

Not unless I find an unmarked disc that's been completely caked in mud or leaf litter.

Poison ivy never seems to transfer to the disc despite direct hits (I've become sensitive to poison ivy over the years from working around it, yet I never have gotten it on my hands while playing).

None of the courses I typically play have anything gross like goose poop or whatever, but I guess I'd probably wash up a bit after dealing with something like that.

My whole bag, no more than once or twice a year
I wash individual discs if they land in poison ivy.

My whole bag, no more than once or twice a year
I wash individual discs if they land in poison ivy.

You should really wash your balls more often than that! :| :sick: :gross: :D

BnM in tub with lids:

world-frisbee-champion-in-the-bathtub-of-frisbees-picture-id540545574

Only wash discs after I know they've been in poison ivy.

From my own sad experience:
One note of caution, NEVER wash waxy/grippy discs (especially CE) with soap and water.
I believe this weakens the disc by removing the binder from the plastic.
At any rate, I washed a few CE discs to get them ready to sell and they all cracked within a few weeks.

I'll sorta wash mine during mud season. Usually I just empty my bag into a bucket of water and let them soak for a while as I clean the bag.

Discs are hygroscopic, no?

Like anything else, if it gets dirty I wash it.

I probably wash mine more in the winter because of the snow and mud.

I wash them in the kitchen sink with dish soap and warm water and then dry them off and put them back in the bag.

Have never washed a disc in my life, for any reason, and have no plans to. Towels work just fine. Its an outdoor sport. Little stain on a disc that doesn't affect its flight means little to me.

I keep a stack of putters in the practice basket. In addition to being deer feeders, baskets serve as excellent bird toilets.

Soap and water are usually needed to remove sun-baked bird poo splats from the top putter in the stack.

Poison ivy I usually just rinse in the nearest body of water.

I like XT plastic, which unfortunately tends to collect a massive amount of dirt on the rim. I use water and a steel fiber sponge to clean them. The steel fiber absolutely EATS up the dirt with the added benefit of sanding down any imperfections on the rim. On any other type of plastic, water usually works fine.

I wash them as needed, whether it's dirt or they landed in something nasty. But I play in wet grass enough that they kind of get cleaned when I'm drying them off with a towel before I throw, so it's my towels that receive the most washings.

Every muddy or rainy round, or every couple rounds in normal dry conditions. They feel so much better after removing even just a bit of dust. Yes I use soap and hot water...soak for a few minutes then hand dry with an old towel I don't care about.

Every muddy or rainy round, or every couple rounds in normal dry conditions. They feel so much better after removing even just a bit of dust. Yes I use soap and hot water...soak for a few minutes then hand dry with an old towel I don't care about.

Interesting that you are the first person in this thread who, like me, washes them to get them to feel better. Just kinda odd.

Latest posts