• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PORTABLE TONALS

treehorn

Birdie Member
Hello,

Looking for some ideas for some portable tonals that will stick in the ground.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanx,

Searched tone through all forums. Couple with ideas at the top and more further down. Too many threads to list depending on what you are looking for. You got me interested, as I scrapped my homemade basket years ago, and a tone pole would be quicker and easier.

2-liter beverage bottles stuck onto 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe. A 10' pipe runs ~$2 at Home Despot/Lowes/etc., and can make 3 poles.

The sound carries when you hit the bottle and the disc makes a different sound if you hit the pole, so it's easy to tell, even from a distance, whether or not you hit the target zone.

2-liter beverage bottles stuck onto 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe. A 10' pipe runs ~$2 at Home Despot/Lowes/etc., and can make 3 poles.

The sound carries when you hit the bottle and the disc makes a different sound if you hit the pole, so it's easy to tell, even from a distance, whether or not you hit the target zone.

perfect

Hello,

Thanx,

I saw pic on the insta from a dude that calls his product the Elvis Tonals. I tried to look him up and check the web. But only had links to Facebook, so that was the end for me.

Anyone have more info on these, like selling price or options? Reviews?

I made these portable targets from 3 coffee food cans and "s" hooks. Got them from my local deli. Bolt a smaller veggie or fruit can to the top that slips over a smaller post. Has good sound from a distance. can really hear the tick if you barely graze it. I made 12 of them before I started making my own baskets.

Attachments

• EH 1000 2.jpg
    EH 1000 2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 67
haha yeah. ive got some pics in the Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery but here are some of the last ones ive made.

Attachments

• IMG_3764.jpg
    IMG_3764.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 29
I saw pic on the insta from a dude that calls his product the Elvis Tonals. I tried to look him up and check the web. But only had links to Facebook, so that was the end for me.

Anyone have more info on these, like selling price or options? Reviews?

I found an email address and sent an email from work inquiring about the cost of the larger one. If I hear back from anyone, I'll be sure to post here what I find out.

Please do let us know. Although I have a feeling that they are not only going to be pricey but shipping will add quite a bit.

I like the ideology of them being an old school throwback to the sports roots. Pulse they seem like they would be just as easy if not easier to transport than a basket.

So the the guys with tonal poles, if you hit the pole (not the tonal part) hard enough from a distance does the tonal part ring out?

I have made PVC tonals (not a great sound but super cheap). I have also made bamboo tonals that were awesome.
I have used 5 gallon buckets as well. If you want information on any of these you can send a PM and I can send pictures.

I used these for to prove there was a demand for disc golf in schools. None of them are still standing.

Hello,

Thanx,

In regards to the 5 gallon water fire extinguishers that make an awesome tone poles. All you have to do is cut the bottom off and screw it to a pole using the hole at the top. I realize they are expensive new, BUT they also have to be pressure tested periodically, and any that fail must be thrown away. If you can find a company who performs that pressure testing they might be able to hook you up.

Last edited:
Please do let us know. Although I have a feeling that they are not only going to be pricey but shipping will add quite a bit.

I like the ideology of them being an old school throwback to the sports roots. Pulse they seem like they would be just as easy if not easier to transport than a basket.

Unfortunately, I still haven't heard back from someone. :mad:

Latest posts