• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PORTLAND, OREGON

So people keep saying Pier Park...better than Milo?

I was gonna do Milo and Horning's, but Pier and Horning's would be fine.

Side note: I freakin' LOVE super technical golf.

I didn't get to play Milo because I was limited by both time and transportation. Pier was closer so that's what won out. I played the two larger courses at Horning's.

Horning's was awesome, wish I had the time to spend a whole weekend there.

You won't be disappointed by the requirements of Meadow Ridge (Hornings' gold course) either.

In October Hagg Lake (aka Sain Scoggins) might be playable.

Both LL Stub and Hagg Lake are close to Horning's, so (if you're geared up) you could camp there for a night, and play some of the most challenging disc golf in the NW. Best to coordinate with some locals as guides for Stub & Hagg.

As far as Breweries go...if you want to drive a few hours south to Bend, Oregon....Crux Fermentation Project is my current favorite Brewery...best Imperial IPA I have had amongst other incredible beers. There are a ton of other breweries (Boneyard, 10 Barrel, Deschutes, etc etc...) If you are going while Mt. Bachelor is open...gotta check out that course fa sho.

But if you gotta stay in Portland, I think McMenimans is pretty legit...hopefully you are there during Fresh Hop season. Def check out Hornings Hideout and Pier Park.

Last edited:
Lan Su Chinese Garden - Fantastic Asian food
Powell's Bookstore - Must-do. I mean, it's a book store three stories tall with a footprint the size of a square city block.
International Rose Test Garden - Yes
Portland Saturday Market - Meh

Food

Pok Pok (and its sister bar the Whiskey Soda Lounge) – F-ing delicious, great Whiskey selection
Sok Sab Bai – Cambodian food. - Highly recommended by my foodie cousin
Laurelhurst Market -- Yes
Stumptown Coffee -- world famous coffee roasters. - Yes, literally some of the best coffee in the country
Voodoo Donut -- Not really for me, but waiting in line for trendy food/coffee/sushi/music is practically a city pastime, so I roll with it.
Food Carts – Portland is a major food cart town with pods all over. Great street food. Hell yes - gravy fries @ 2am after a Bourbon pub crawl (see Whiskey soda lounge for starters) http://www.foodcartsportland.com/maps/
[/url]

I left the things that I've done up. If you go to Milo, a great return lunch/dinner would be Jade in South Portland. It's a tea and noodle house with some of the best Asian food I've ever had.

Also highly recommended:

-take the scenic highway through the gorge and do the stretch of Waterfalls around Multnomah falls. I think the wife and I hit something like 12-13 waterfalls in one day.
-Hit up 23rd - there is a strip of bars, restaurants, coffee houses, and local businesses. The Matador has great Mexican food and a wall full of fine Tequila. Vivace has crepes and great coffee. On 23rd, there is also one of the best Sushi-go-rounds in Portland. Love me some sushi

We are going to be staying @ the McMennemans at Edgefield later this summer. I haven't stayed there before, but have heard nothing but glowing reviews. There is a 102 degree pool that circles the building, a golf course, a pool hall, a brewery and a distillery on site. So long as you get one of the rooms that actually has it's own bathroom, it could make for a really fun honeymoon spot. That one would be close to Dabney and Blue Lake.

For a straight brewery, I only have experience with Rogue ales down there, but it was a great one....:hfive:

So the Edgefield has a hell of a lot more than I even listed (just went to their site for pictures). Check it out here: http://www.mcmenamins.com/Edgefield

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8173.jpg
    IMG_8173.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 60
  • _HRC3830.jpg
    _HRC3830.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_5096.jpg
    _MG_5096.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 60
If you want to take a fantastic little hour drive on one of the if not the most beautiful road, head east on 84 to Hood River. The star of the show is the deck seating at Full Sail Brewery overlooking the Columbia River and then the more dank Double Mountain Brewery up the road a bit. Stop at Multnomah Falls on the way for an incredible view!

There is a course in town but I've never played it, the beer, I have had and it's FANTASTIC! : )

Make sure you come prepared for some wet weather. October can be a bear but if you're prepared you can survive it. :thmbup:

If you want to take a fantastic little hour drive on one of the if not the most beautiful road, head east on 84 to Hood River. The star of the show is the deck seating at Full Sail Brewery overlooking the Columbia River and then the more dank Double Mountain Brewery up the road a bit. Stop at Multnomah Falls on the way for an incredible view!

There is a course in town but I've never played it, the beer, I have had and it's FANTASTIC! : )

The course in Hood River is a pitch and putt nine hole course that's not really worth your time but on your way is the course in Cascade Locks and of course the new Dave Feldberg designed course(overrated but very long and worth a play) Blue Lake. You also have Dabney and North Bonneville (technically in WA) which are also solid courses. Go a little further on I-84 and you get to play a very pretty course in The Dalles.

Make sure you come prepared for some wet weather.

Indeed. We have four seasons: be sure to dress accordingly.

Wet & Cooling (Sept, Oct, Nov: fleece hoodie with shorts)
Wet & Cold (Dec, Jan, Feb: insulated hoodie with long pants)
Wet & Warming (Mar, Apr, May, June: back to fleece & shorts)
Hot & Dry (July, Aug: t-shirt & shorts with an umbrella to block the ball of fire in the sky)

I didn't get to play Milo because I was limited by both time and transportation. Pier was closer so that's what won out. I played the two larger courses at Horning's.

Horning's was awesome, wish I had the time to spend a whole weekend there.

Having moved to the Portland area about 4mos ago, I've gotten to try a few courses. Milo will be next.

Pier park is a nice technical course. Some elevation change and tons of trees. There's a McMenamins about a mile from it in St. Johns. Also look for Occidental brewing by Cathedral park (beneath St. Johns bridge) which is also very close by. It's a beautiful area next to the Willamette river.

Devote a day to Horning's Hideout. It's a really beautiful area with a lake and streams. Cost is $4/pp for a day-pass. I played the pro course which was fantastic. I left wanting to play more, but didn't have time, plus a tourney was taking up the mid course. There's also a short pitch-n-putt if your bride is into it. As someone else mentioned, you can also camp there if you have time. Check their events calendar in advance since they sometimes have music events, etc. going on. It's close to my house so I'll be back for sure. Also swing by McMenamins (Cornelius Pass Roadhouse) which has a distillery, plus great beers.

Blue Lake is like no other course I've seen (in my admittedly limited experience). I'm told it's designed by some pro. Costs about $4 to park (exact change required!). The course is still pretty new so the rough is REALLY rough, full of berry vines and long grass. The design forces you to hit the fairways cut throughout the course. The rough is considered OB, and if you play it accordingly, you'll have to really focus to score. There's a fair number of very long holes ~ 800ft +. There's a few other course out there to the East so check your maps. I'm told Dabney and Rooster Rock are great.

And if you're going to venture out to the East, you two can take a drive to the Columbia river gorge. Tons of waterfalls. My wife and I went out there with some friends a few weekends ago. It's a great Sunday drive. Stop in at the Vista House first. They'll give you some good info and a map, and it's a great view of the valley. Look for the Multnomah Falls Lodge too.

I recommend the Hotel Modera if you want to be right in the middle of downtown. Stylish hotel, but very reasonable rates, and you can easily hop on the streetcar or max light rail to get around. Cruise to the North part of town to the Pearl district for lots of dining choices. Deschutes Brewery is great (the real brewery is in Bend). You can also swing by Keen world HQ and pick up some new DG shoes. :thmbup:

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

Latest posts