• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post a cool disc golf photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Now Midnightbiker ~ Great job with the Disc Golf Class ~ Looks like fun. The sport of Disc Golf thanks you for this contribution.

Thanks. Its a lot of work to organize and put on something like that. They want me to put on another class next month,

in ky yestaday my buddy threw his pro d soft magnet from like 30ft out way to hard! and it slammed the basket and stuck. haha i told him that doesnt count as it didnt come to rest in the basket

Magnets like to do that:

0329091546.jpg

Par 100. Good grief man!

And it's a legit par 100, but you also have to consider that it's 27 holes. There's birdies out there (I had a handful myself, even in awful conditions, when I played there last fall, and I have the original noodle arm), but you have to play smart and not beat yourself trying to do things you have no legitimate shot at doing.

The 1600' hole is a par seven. That means to par it, you've gotta have 5 consecutive 300'+ shots to end up 100' out, and get down in two from there. Oh, and if that sixth shot is a little weak? There's an OB line about 30' short of the basket perpendicular to the runway. So it's easy to get all the way down the runway and misjudge the wind and have that approach shot get slapped down short of the line -- I did exactly that in a driving wind and rain storm back in November. Granted I was throwing 8 already, but I was the only one in my group that hadn't gone OB at least once or twice by that point on the hole. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to stay in bounds when you've got a dead-straight 90' wide strip to work with, but even yesterday, with only very mild wind, I watched good am players go OB time and again -- either because of the fade at the end of a short, or because they didn't factor in the amount and direction of the disc's roll.

Thanks. Its a lot of work to organize and put on something like that. They want me to put on another class next month,

Kudos. I do know how much work it is -- I ran our park's annual disc golf camp for kids 8-14 last year -- 3 hours a day for 3 days. Without help from several people, including billnchristy, I doubt I could have managed it.

Took this one with my phone at Black Mountain DGC in North Carolina about a month ago.

mms_picture.jpg

Last edited:
I've done a lots of things on a runway, but play disc golf isn't one of them.

It has been put on my list of things to do...

One of the neighbors at Flyboy coming in for a landing:
picture.php

Another of the neighbors takes off. Tee pad, sign, and bench for Hole 22 visible in foreground. Part of group on Hole 21 visible in the distance:
picture.php

Same neighbor as in the second shot above coming back in to land. A group of disc golfers can be seen through the limbs of the tree on the right -- this group is probably waiting to play their second or possibly third shot. Actually, I'm pretty sure this is Bill and Christy's group -- at any rate, they're the ones coming down the fairway of the runway hole in the pix from just moments later.

The tee box is farther down the runway, beyond the break of the slope.
picture.php

Last edited:
Do you, Bill, or Christy fly?

Well, I'll be on an airplane in about 10 hours, but not at the controls :D I leave that to the wonderful folks at Delta.

I'm not a pilot. As far as I know, neither Bill or Christy is either. Kelly Leggette, the man behind Flyboy, is a commercial pilot (and ex-military), and course is laid out around the taxiways and unused lots and natural areas of the fly-in subdivision where he lives. The developer and Kelly's neighbors have been gracious enough to allow him to set up the course and host events like the one Saturday.

Apparently, I arrived just too late on Saturday morning to catch Kelly putting on an aerobatics show in his Czech Zlin trainer (I think he co-owns this one with at least one other pilot).

The Zlin:
picture.php

By the time I got there, he was flying another photographer over the course in his Piper Cub, shooting video.
The Piper:
picture.php

Great use of space. I've always dreamed of living in one of these fly-in communities. There are a few around New England but seem more prevalent in the south and eastern Mid-West.

Michigan has a crap load of grass strips from my memory of 18 years ago.

I just went back and looked at the map and just noticed the landing stip.Man, that would be cool to play

Great use of space. I've always dreamed of living in one of these fly-in communities. There are a few around New England but seem more prevalent in the south and eastern Mid-West.

There are several around Atlanta, especially on the south side of the metro area, because of proximity to Hartsfield. Even non-Delta pilots often live around here, since it's relatively easy to catch a flight into pretty much any other hub or base from ATL.

my disc once landed inside of a random bucket on the course, used to have a photo :( it took like 10 minutes to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts