• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post here being used to build cases against disc golf

As a somewhat recent resident of the SF bay area that has taken up disc golf again since moving here, I looked into other course options besides Golden Gate Park and found this sad saga around McLaren Park. From what I can tell the city approved a course for McLaren years ago but the locals were so fiercely in opposition that even with the earnest effort of the local disc golfers trying to show the positive side, the city pulled the plans. Every other option is close to an hour away, so I've only played GG, but De Laveaga and Stafford Lake are on my list.

I've got some dough for the cause.

I like this plot as it is highly accessible for many people and the location could mean that it just might be profitable.

I was chatting with flabby daddy about this concept. Here's what we'd need:

- a group of investors (or a kickstarter) to come up with the down payment plus closing costs plus the 50k or so necessary to get the disc golf equipment, supplies (concrete tees, wooden retaining walls, steps, etc), and perhaps a simple clubhouse. Obviously if we want a real clubhouse we need a lot more money, permits, water, power, etc. It can be done, but it would require a more significant investment or a loan. I'd probably start very simple and build up through time.

- we'd need to pay at least two people to manage the property at all times, including mowing, running a pro shop with snacks and drinks, and any course maintenance.

- we'd need to come to a price point for a day pass to cover the mortgage/insurance/taxes (estimated at around $3200/month for this place) as well as annual passes for club members. Since we'd obviously make an epic course we'd need to charge at least $10 a head for a day pass, and $250 for an annual membership.

- The monthly income from the endeavor would have to double the amount necessary for the expenses (mortgage, employees, supplies, insurance, taxes) to make it worthwhile. If you could make 12k a month from the place, that's in the ballpark

-Obviously a lot of legal questions would have to be resolved/agreed upon prior to any sort of investment in the property. It is tough, but could be done.

Thoughts?
We'd need to have some

I like this plot as it is highly accessible for many people and the location could mean that it just might be profitable.

- a group of investors (or a kickstarter) to come up with the down payment plus closing costs plus the 50k or so necessary to get the disc golf equipment, supplies (concrete tees, wooden retaining walls, steps, etc), and perhaps a simple clubhouse. Obviously if we want a real clubhouse we need a lot more money, permits, water, power, etc. It can be done, but it would require a more significant investment or a loan. I'd probably start very simple and build up through time.

- we'd need to pay at least two people to manage the property at all times, including mowing, running a pro shop with snacks and drinks, and any course maintenance.

- we'd need to come to a price point for a day pass to cover the mortgage/insurance/taxes (estimated at around $3200/month for this place) as well as annual passes for club members. Since we'd obviously make an epic course we'd need to charge at least $10 a head for a day pass, and $250 for an annual membership.

- The monthly income from the endeavor would have to double the amount necessary for the expenses (mortgage, employees, supplies, insurance, taxes) to make it worthwhile. If you could make 12k a month from the place, that's in the ballpark

-Obviously a lot of legal questions would have to be resolved/agreed upon prior to any sort of investment in the property. It is tough, but could be done.

Thoughts?
We'd need to have some

why would you need to make double to make it worthwhile? that's a pretty high return on investment

Thoughts?
We'd need to have some

Hey Peter, we've met a few times at LSDG.....thanks for your effort there!

I'd buy an annual pass for a course like that (if you are trying to gauge interest). I also know a few people who are willing to sponsor a basket or purchase a basket for practice/warm-up area. Not much to help with such a large investment, but at this stage in the game every little bit counts.

And thanks again for the effort to expand disc in the Bay Area.

Last edited:
Hey Peter, we've met a few times at LSDG.....thanks for your effort there!

I'd buy an annual pass for a course like that (if you are trying to gauge interest). I also know a few people who are willing to sponsor a basket or purchase a basket for practice/warm-up area. Not much to help with such a large investment, but at this stage in the game every little bit counts.

And thanks again for the effort to expand disc in the Bay Area.

That's why kickstarter might be a good idea. Get thousands of small contributions which are within the means of most people.

why would you need to make double to make it worthwhile? that's a pretty high return on investment

Perhaps. I was thinking people would want to double their money through time. Seems like a fair concept to me.

Perhaps. I was thinking people would want to double their money through time. Seems like a fair concept to me.

Oh I know they would like too. But that shouldn't be the barrier. As Its really not that reasonable. An industry that could bring in revenue doubling expense would have investors already lining up

Oh I know they would like too. But that shouldn't be the barrier. As Its really not that reasonable. An industry that could bring in revenue doubling expense would have investors already lining up

What would be more reasonable in your opinion?

What would be more reasonable in your opinion?

i mean, i'm not an mba, (and we probably have some on the board) but really even a revenue of 10% more than expenses will see major profits in the long term.

as long as there is a profit each month, you're basically good. (and even breaking even initially is more than most businesses can expect)

Just FYI you can't use kickstarter for this...or any crowdfunding sites that I know of. The closest thing you can do is pre-sell a commodity, but you can't use it to generate investors/shareholders/anything like that.

DGCR should sue that organization for using/distributing copyrighted materials and IP. It won't win over more DG supporters, but it might slow down the fight against us. And let discgolf center know that they are also using/distributing their ad for ill gain.

Persecution---it sucks to be a DGer, as bad as a Cherokee, Emperor penguin, Ethioipian, whitetail deer, Ukranian, earthworm, Haitian, domestic pet, Chilian, etc., ad infinitum nauseum.

C'mon, get a grip, young'uns. I'm growing tired of hearing how some entitled Calis can't get along with their brethren. :\

Last edited:
Stupid time limit.

You know, maybe you shouldn't try to put a DGC in McLaren Park. I can finger 1/2 dozen parks in Portland that would make great courses, yet would be nothing but trouble for DGers, parkgoers and the city.

DGCR should sue that organization for using/distributing copyrighted materials and IP. It won't win over more DG supporters, but it might slow down the fight against us. And let discgolf center know that they are also using/distributing their ad for ill gain.

Somehow I doubt you'd have much of a case suing because someone repeated something you posted in a public forum.

Somehow I doubt you'd have much of a case suing because someone repeated something you posted in a public forum.
And even if you did, lawsuits cost money. Even a cease and desist letter really wouldn't be worth the effort.

Persecution---it sucks to be a DGer, as bad as a Cherokee, Emperor penguin, Ethioipian, whitetail deer, Ukranian, earthworm, Haitian, domestic pet, Chilian, etc., ad infinitum nauseum.

C'mon, get a grip, young'uns. I'm growing tired of hearing how some entitled Calis can't get along with their brethren. :\

Stupid time limit.

You know, maybe you shouldn't try to put a DGC in McLaren Park. I can finger 1/2 dozen parks in Portland that would make great courses, yet would be nothing but trouble for DGers, parkgoers and the city.

So...you know that most people in San Francisco are not from here right? It's just the gathering point of NIMBYS and hipsters. You should thank such a gracious city for attracting those types away from your hometown ;)