• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Potential tech standards changes?

That's a false premise. The facts are that disc golf, while highly sustainable, would be more so if the discs weren't as fast and the edges not as thin.

And if they weren't made out of plastic.

:|

That's a false premise. The facts are that disc golf, while highly sustainable, would be more so if the discs weren't as fast and the edges not as thin.

youre just nitpicking.. try getting the nhl to go back to using wooden sticks. I dare you.

It may have already been said, but these high speed drivers are making what once was hard courses seem easy. At what point is disc technology going make putting a course in an everyday park pointless, and end up pushing Disc Golf into the Ball Golf standard of private courses.

It may have already been said, but these high speed drivers are making what once was hard courses seem easy. At what point is disc technology going make putting a course in an everyday park pointless, and end up pushing Disc Golf into the Ball Golf standard of private courses.

Maybe those can just become beginner courses, and we can develop more advanced courses.. if thats how you feel. It would certainly be exciting to create more advanced and interesting courses.

Regardless they wont be easy for everyone, and people need to start somewhere.

youre just nitpicking.. try getting the nhl to go back to using wooden sticks. I dare you.

I wish I were, but unfortunately this argument has been used widely against us here in california when we have new course proposals.

What are they measuring the dings on trees from lets say a fairway to a distance driver.. thats just ridiculous and those people need to find something better to do with their time. We have to understand that trees will get hit at some point and thats part of the game. It happens in ball golf..

Personally, I think all of this is because Duvall can throw 500 feet. But not with a Stiletto. Stiletto. Stiletto.

I am bringing it up because a change like this can have a huge impact on the sport and other manufactures that have invested $100,000's in molds, plastic, and time that would just be thrown out the door. I don't know if some of the smaller newer companies could overcome a hit like that.

Great point.

So you are one of the giants in the industry, but all these little upstarts are eating into your sales and profits...

Make a major rule change and wipe them out in one swoop.

Brilliant!

I was the only person who asked a question, which was do you have any data, evidence, or testing to backup your statements? He said "No and we don't want any".
This is a very good answer. I think we might not want any data available about the dangers of our current equipment. If it comes back to say what the largest manufacturer of our equipment thinks it will say and that data is then available to the general public, there might not be enough insurance in the World to keep disc golf going.

Again this is all I know and I just want players to know that this presentation happened and that there was a motion to look into it further? All manufacturers should have a voice along with the players.
I'm sure they will. Innova didn't get their way last time; the other companies were heard.

Maybe those can just become beginner courses, and we can develop more advanced courses.. if thats how you feel. It would certainly be exciting to create more advanced and interesting courses.

Regardless they wont be easy for everyone, and people need to start somewhere.

I don't think you quite understand this part of the discussion. It's not that people have an issue with the idea of longer courses, it's that it's really tough to find the land to be able to make a bunch of par 4 and 5 holes especially with the distances players are able to throw with warp speed drivers.

The point is that this move would make it easier to build tougher courses, and would make the shorter courses that already exist a bit more relevant again.

Seems to be plenty of room for ball golf courses...

Seems to be plenty of room for ball golf courses...

Have you proposed a championship level course? It's not easy to convince a park department to give up 40 acres of park property to a fringe sport that doesn't bring any money back in and isn't a widely recognized activity.

Have you proposed a championship level course? It's not easy to convince a park department to give up 40 acres of park property to a fringe sport that doesn't bring any money back in and isn't a widely recognized activity.
I really don't think the fact that you can't put 18 holes on 10 acres anymore is what they are worried about, though.