• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pound Carlton bag review

doth_savek

Par Member
Hi everyone. I recently bought a Pound Carlton bag with the intention of giving a long detailed review on youtube. I thought it might belong here as a resource for all you bag nerds like me:

https://youtu.be/uNraVV1s6yw

Feel free to throw any comments, questions, or requests my way. I have an Upper Parks Shift on its way for the same test and review process.

Also I have a longer review on that same channel for the newest version on the Pound Octothorpe:
https://youtu.be/QYANrrO7deE

That thing looks badass. Like the colors you chose as well.

Man, they might have done it made a bag that is better than a grip.

Man, they might have done it made a bag that is better than a grip.

I had an original design Grip, then an A and a C Grip. Was a pretty big fan. As soon as the Octothorpe touched my hands and back, it was clear the Grip had been out done.

The materials, design, and comfort of the Carlton are unmatched. Plus, they're hand made in the USA.

That's the color combo I want!! (I'm going to build with maroon zippers though)

Really cool bag and nice review. I'll be ordering one of these soon enough.

If indeed the quality, comfort and functionality is superior it seems that the price suggests that as well.

Aren't these about a 100 bucks more than a grip?

I think it's an odd design...why have things hidden away? I do love the crazy colorways they have going on, but prefer to have all my discs on display and have them be the highlight of the bag.
I'd wouldn't mind owning an Octothorpe, though.

I had an original design Grip, then an A and a C Grip. Was a pretty big fan. As soon as the Octothorpe touched my hands and back, it was clear the Grip had been out done.

The materials, design, and comfort of the Carlton are unmatched. Plus, they're hand made in the USA.

Anyone can take a sack, throw some strips of fabric on it, and call it a backpack.
It takes some actual experience to design a backpack with good straps, proper support, and proper weight distribution.

I guess you can put me down as the only one that doesn't like anything about this bag, other than the quality of workmanship, I guess. Maybe it's comfortable too, I don't know. But...
I don't like the velcro insert, or the insert storage design that you have to cram stuff into, making the discs in the main compartment equally crammed in and hard to access. If I was gifted this bag, I doubt I would even use the insert.

Seemed to me the goal was to make a quality bag that basically just looked different than most other backpack bags.

Alright, let me have it....

I mean you do have some good points, at the same time though you don't necessarily know if everything is going to be cramped until you put your own stuff in there. If you saw the videos Eli did, even with stuff in the center pocket and discs on the outside pockets, nothing looked difficult to insert or remove. I'm using a grip bx and a ridge roller with r3 box currently I was nuts over this bag while it was being designed. I don't think Levi would overlook something as important as cramped storage.

Nice and long Review :)

I have a Octo and a BX15 . . i would like a Carlton but my two bags complement each other fine.

There are a few things i like to change on both my bags. . but overall i like them both

Anyone can take a sack, throw some strips of fabric on it, and call it a backpack.
It takes some actual experience to design a backpack with good straps, proper support, and proper weight distribution.

Wait, who are you talking about? Pound bags? Levi, the founder, used to work for Mystery Ranch. Check them out. If you're suggesting Levi threw this thing together, you're mad.

Who in the DG bag industry has more experience designing proper packs than Levi?

I was agreeing with you. Pound/Mystery Ranch does it right. Everyone else just sews strips of fabric onto a sack.

I was agreeing with you. Pound/Mystery Ranch does it right. Everyone else just sews strips of fabric onto a sack.

Not quite all of them, thinking most of the Upper Parks models minus one the Urban, the hipster model. The majority of other brands do this have a square they add the pockets to on the sides or above the discs. Infinite is the other brand with two models are not just squares with the pockets on the sides, one that is a modified copy on a Upper Parks Focus and the Sling.

It was a comment about the straps and back support, not the details of the sack part.

At first I was ambivalent (if not outright disappointed), but now that I've had some time, I am beginning to really appreciate the versatility that this design offers. After a lot of thought, I will pick one up once thee custom tool comes out.

@doth savek Thanks for the review! I really appreciate having such a good look at the bag before buying. Grateful for all the time and thought that went into that!

Just looked at the new production run of the Pound Carlton bag (preorder), tempted to get one. Did I miss something or was there nothing stating what the webbing and spacer mesh colors would be for each bag overall color choices?

Not that it matters, but does anyone else find the Carlton design a little... uh, phallic?

I mean:
pARXkYU.jpg
vs.

(NSFW for an illustration of a you know what)
V58vnaR.jpg
If I bought one, the juvenile in me would constantly make anatomical references to the different compartments.

Not that it matters, but does anyone else find the Carlton design a little... uh, phallic?

I mean:
pARXkYU.jpg
vs.

(NSFW for an illustration of a you know what)
V58vnaR.jpg
If I bought one, the juvenile in me would constantly make anatomical references to the different compartments.

Hahahahahaha never occurred to me- but cannot be unseen. Imminent deletion in 3... 2... 1...

Latest posts