• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power grip for mids/putters?

krooster

Birdie Member
I'm wondering what the disadvantage is of using a power grip on mids/putters. I've heard it said that power grip has less control, but I don't really understand what "less control" means.

Does it mean aiming is less accurate? Or that even with decent form the release is more susceptible to OAT?

Just asking because I go through phases where I don't have any OAT with mids/putters, and phases where I do, using a power grip. Sometimes there's no OAT at all and I don't really notice any issues with accuracy being diminished. Sometimes I can't do that consistently and OAT creeps in. It's frustrating, because I think I have it all figured out for a couple weeks, then suddenly it's like I can't throw consistently anymore. Not sure if I should try switching to a more control-ish grip that is more forgiving, or if my goal should be to be able to throw with a power grip consistently.

I do ok power gripping putters and mids *points to sig* but everyones hands are different. I feel more in control with a power grip than any other BH grip I've tried.

I also power grip mids and putters, and have never really had any issues. In fact it seems that the less grips you mess with, the more consistent you'll be.

When I power grip putts, I lose control of the flight plate, so it can come out nose down or hyzer. When I'm throwing hard, though, the flight plate seems easier to control by tugging on the rim, not actively controlling/touching the flight plate.

George Smith and Eric McCabe both putt with a power grip (they both use the same grip for every shot). So there can't be too much of an advantage either way.

When I power grip putts, I lose control of the flight plate, so it can come out nose down or hyzer. When I'm throwing hard, though, the flight plate seems easier to control by tugging on the rim, not actively controlling/touching the flight plate.

George Smith and Eric McCabe both putt with a power grip (they both use the same grip for every shot). So there can't be too much of an advantage either way.

I'm talking about driving, not approaching or putting.

My thoughts on holding a putter/mid with a power grip is that you have less control over the angle of the flight plate.
When I hold a putter with a power grip and push down on the flight plate, the disc easily spins in my hand. When I'm using a fan grip, my fingers on the bottom of the plate keep the disc from spinning in my hand.
With a driver, the wider rim allows my thumb pad to control the angle of the disc and I don't have any loss of control.

Should at least consider that unwanted OAT may be about something other than your actual grip...?

I'm a pinch/fan guy for putters/mids...and often even smaller-rimmed drivers. Yeah, powergripping a putter feels really wierd to me.

My thoughts on holding a putter/mid with a power grip is that you have less control over the angle of the flight plate.
When I hold a putter with a power grip and push down on the flight plate, the disc easily spins in my hand. When I'm using a fan grip, my fingers on the bottom of the plate keep the disc from spinning in my hand.
With a driver, the wider rim allows my thumb pad to control the angle of the disc and I don't have any loss of control.

ToddL, this makes a lot of sense. Do you think lack of control over the flight plate angle affects OAT? Or just angle of disc on release?

I always power grip mids. I will power grip putters if I'm throwing near max distance. Anything under 80% power with a putter and I'm fan gripping (including actual putts).

Should at least consider that unwanted OAT may be about something other than your actual grip...

Toro71 you are correct! Really played around with my form today, and I think I had a major breakthrough. Basically instead of starting my x-step with the disc extended out in front of me, I started with the disc hanging loosely down with my upper body mostly limp. I don't know why, but for some reason this allows me to get better timing and weight shift. My throws are consistently going as far or slightly farther than my best throws from before, but the best part is I don't even have to think about my grip and the OAT is completely gone!

I don't really understand how such a seemingly superficial aspect of how I start my reachback could make such a big difference, but whatever works!

Now I just need to figure out if the P-PD will be replacing the MOLS as my main distance driver, since it's going straighter now so consistently...

i actually get a ton of flutter using anything BUT a power grip. the disc will never leave my hands cleanly. use what is comfortable for you; the fan grip and birdie grip, etc, are great for throwing shorter distances without feeling like you're "powering down". it's nice. myself, i power grip absolutely everything except my putts. i power grip my putters, of course, just not when i'm putting.

im all about that young power grip. cept when im really close approaching ill use a fan grip on my approach putter but thats cuz its more for accuracy than the D.

im all about that young power grip. cept when im really close approaching ill use a fan grip on my approach putter but thats cuz its more for accuracy than the D.

This. Almost always power grip no matter the disc, unless I'm about <100' out.

FWIW, I put my putters out consistently around 280 ft. with a fan grip. If I need more distance then that, I am reaching for a mid. You definitely have way more distance potential with a power-grip than a fan-grip though. I fan-gripped mids and drivers for the first couple years I played, until I started playing rounds with a former World Champion who showed me the right way to do it.

I never power grip my putters just because I cannot control them with a power grip but, anything else i power grip when trying to throw a laser but fan for more approach like shots. It just seems to give me more control when not trying to put as much power on the shot

I power grip everything. I can see where a fan grip would provide better control of the release angle, but then I struggle with timing of the release. Probably would be something I could improve with practice though.

IMO, it's good to be able to use a power grip with putters and mids. It can show you some grip issues that might not show up with drivers. However, there isn't an issue if you decide not to use one.

I power grip Pures off the tee regularly. In fact, in many ways, my Opto Pure has become my workhorse disc because I can shape just about any line with it. I like to be able to do everything with all my discs (fan grip, power grip, flick, etc.).

One of my favorite lines is a big sweeping Anhyzer with a Pure.

I find power grips easier to control, actually. I can't find it but I recall a video with Paul McBeth saying the same thing. I think for those of us with shorter fingers, it actually adds control.

For my mids and my Envies, I power grip pretty much every shot. However, I do fan grip my BB Aviars and especially my Polecat since I only use them for putting or touch shots. I have no issues pushing my Polecat out past 200 with a fan grip, but that's partly because it's so deep and partly because it is such an intuitive disc.

In conclusion: I think it varies more on your finger length than throwing style.