• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power grip for mids/putters?

I use a birdie grip with putters and anything somewhat deep. combines a power grip with a bit of touch

For example, I would get my first finger all the way against the flight plate on all my discs. When I threw Rocs/putters, having it all the way up there put the bead too far towards my second knuckle, giving me unclean releases. I didn't change my grip to fix it. I realized that I was focusing on the wrong thing when I was positioning my first finger. I needed a consistent place to put my finger-pit, not my finger tip.

I tend to use a three finger power grip on mids and a fan grip for putters. It just doesn't feel right to power grip putters.

Fan grip on putters inside 50 for accuracy. Outside that distance I usually can't putt, so I will switch to power grip to get adequate distance.

for example?
For a while I was focused on gripping so my fingers touched the flight plate. I found that if I focused too much on that then I wasn't getting my thumb forward, the disc wasn't pivoting out of my hand correctly and I was getting OAT. With mids and drivers it didn't really show, but with putters the disc was aligned so badly that they would flutter and die immediately. Once I figured out how to throw putters with a power grip (fingers don't even touch the flight plate), I found my throws with mids and drivers felt and flew a lot better. It was much easier to feel what a good throw felt like because my grip wasn't preventing the disc from leaving my hand correctly.

Yeah I hear you there for sure-- that's why I asked as I never use anything but a power grip really when driving a putter/mid.

Its weird to power grip deep thin putters but its how I always show people their grip sucks and probably putting way to much hand on the disc as well as pulling into the palm etc. "grip" is almost misleading as we really are sort-of pinching the disc as much as its a grip.

I'm a pinch/fan guy for putters/mids...and often even smaller-rimmed drivers.

I've been screwing around with this some, throwing drivers with a pinch/fan instead of power grip, and it's doing something good, not sure if I can describe it.

It's like even with a speed 12, fan gripping it first, even if I then switch to power for the throw, it gives me the best feel of where the pressure in my grip needs to be.

Not sure yet, but I could possibly be moving way from a power grip completely.

FWIW, I've got well above average-sized meathooks.