• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practice Courses??? in the united states

ones I have played have had 2-9 baskets at there locations and most had make shift tees or areas where it looked like people were using as tees. Just surprised there arent more.

If there are designated tees, than it is an actual course. While possibly crappy and only a couple of holes - still a course. Practice courses are really just baskets in an area without designated holes/tees to...practice on.

We have six baskets around ball fields at the Shaver Recreation Complex in Seneca, SC. There's also a full 18 hole course at the park. The six baskets in the field have no marked tees but locals have set tee areas.

Westminster, SC has one basket at a local park. I've taken my boys there to play on the playground. Its great to get some putting practice in while they play.

Then there are two baskets at a park in Franklin, NC with a sign that says Disc Golf practice area.

The only other one I'm aware of is the baskets located around a small college campus in Emmitsburg, IA. No marked tees just baskets on one side of campus.

Last edited:
Where did you get these numbers from lion? off this site? Because I've played 3 "practice courses" in california, that are not listed on here, but are open to the public.

I know of 2 here in the st louis area that are middle schools with 9 baskets, but there is no sign of teepads or anything. I have gone to one of them a couple times since its closer to my house than any course, and did some field practice, where i still had baskets to aim at and could putt and stuff

Where are these? I live in an area of the city that is a bit of a drive from the major courses and may check them out if they are close...

I got my numbers from the site. I just clicked the practice course box and it said 61 in the united states. 11 in California. They dont show up unless the box is checked.

Where did you get these numbers from lion? off this site? Because I've played 3 "practice courses" in california, that are not listed on here, but are open to the public.

Sounds like you need to add them to the directory. :)

I recently added a course to the directory and it looks like it has been removed. Any idea how/why this happened? It was a practice course, 5baskets, and was on here for a few days before being removed.

there was a practice course in elkins, wv at the davis & elkins college campus. when i went to it the first time, it was seven crappy baskets with no tees. fortunately, they added two more crappy baskets and gave all the holes tees (even if difficult to find). while not the best course and baskets ever, once you find the tees it's actually pretty fun. it always makes me happy to see improvement in courses!

I just had a friend beat me at a 5 hole practice course in Ventura and he celebrated like he won the super bowl.

Any time Tobin or I can beat you on ANY course is cause for celebration! :)

(I think the only time I beat you was at Mollie Joyce. I ruled that course like I was P. Schwayze :p)

Chico is the reason that CA has so many "practice areas". These baskets placed in our parks are supposed to be a temporary holding area for the baskets. We have a full 18 hole course worth of baskets and a whole lot of empty promises from out city. Some DG folks have faith that these baskets will be used for a new course in the future. I am less optimistic. F practice areas.

Giles is right about Mountain Creek in Grand Prairie. I was giving my son the tour of "bad" disc golf courses in the area, which also included the course in Coppell. But back to Mtn Ck, there weren't even noticible patches where grass had been warn away to indicate the areas that were being used for tees. But since we are blessed here in D/FW with at least 10 courses that are rated 3.75 and above, I don't sweat about it much. Hmmm, I wonder what the course ratings for the ones used in the Charlotte worlds averaged to?

If there are designated tees, than it is an actual course. While possibly crappy and only a couple of holes - still a course. Practice courses are really just baskets in an area without designated holes/tees to...practice on.

i disagree, a practice course can have designated tees. any regular course could be considered a practice course because you can practice on any of them.

i'd say a practice course is one where it doesn't make sense or is dangerous for multiple groups to play on it at once. like if multiple tees play to the same hole and the course couldn't be used in a tournament setting.

Chico is the reason that CA has so many "practice areas". These baskets placed in our parks are supposed to be a temporary holding area for the baskets. We have a full 18 hole course worth of baskets and a whole lot of empty promises from out city. Some DG folks have faith that these baskets will be used for a new course in the future. I am less optimistic. F practice areas.

Provide dg courses for people to learn to enjoy exercise vs Go bankrupt providing entitlements and governement programs and stifle business with excessive regulation

Just move to the middle of the country, life is so much easier there...

Just move to the middle of the country, life is so much easier there...

HA! That isn't going to be happining anytime too soon.

The middle of the country, a nice place to visit, but there's no way you could convince me to live there.

There's a church five minutes from my house with 18 baskets in the ground. No tee signs, and playing basket to basket will take you over swimming pools, parking lots, softball fields, 150° doglegs around treelines, blind shots over walking paths, the pastor's house and other buildings, and puts a playground in play. I practice there, but I would never want to register it.

This summer I was on South Bass Island on Lake Erie (Ohio) and the place we stayed had three baskets in the field across the street. They were set up so that you could play a 3 hole loop and the holes were actually pretty fun. There were no tee pads or signs and the place was not listed here.

That would qualify as a practice course I guess. Luckily I brought a few discs with me, and got to play a few holes a day when we weren't out fishing.

Yup, that's a practice course for sure.

This summer I was on South Bass Island on Lake Erie (Ohio) and the place we stayed had three baskets in the field across the street. They were set up so that you could play a 3 hole loop and the holes were actually pretty fun. There were no tee pads or signs and the place was not listed here.

That would qualify as a practice course I guess. Luckily I brought a few discs with me, and got to play a few holes a day when we weren't out fishing.

Latest posts