• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre-Game Warm Up Routine

I wake up nice and early, be sure to get a healthy breakfast. Then I spit on each one of my dogs before I leave. When I get to the course, I spit in everyone's bag, scream random obsenities at the top of my lungs, and give the stink eye to any children that may be around. I then put some pants on before the cops show up, and procede to kick ass. By kicking ass, I mean that I like to throw rollers at other groups on the teepads in front of me.

I SPIT up my rootbeer reading this...LOL

I wake up nice and early, be sure to get a healthy breakfast. Then I spit on each one of my dogs before I leave. When I get to the course, I spit in everyone's bag, scream random obsenities at the top of my lungs, and give the stink eye to any children that may be around. I then put some pants on before the cops show up, and procede to kick ass. By kicking ass, I mean that I like to throw rollers at other groups on the teepads in front of me.

I have read this five times and am still LMAO!

I like to grab 3 putters and pick a spot 60'-70' away and try to toss them in. Then you putt them in from the farthest lie. Repeat this about a half dozen times and I'm ready to go.

I can practice this for hours, but it makes a nice warm-up routine too.

toss a few putts from my van
stretch
throw some upshots
jog around and pick them up
throw some mids
stretch
throw a few putts
get er done

before any sort of competitive play i like to at least throw 9 holes getting a taste of every throw i will face in the ensuing rounds to come.

before my first throw of the day, regardless if its a serious round or not, i do some knee to chest jumps or some weird jumping jax to get the blood flowing. then i stretch a little prior to throwing hole 1 and again prior to hole 2.

i usually practice putting at hole 1 or 2's basket for 5 minutes at most where i may finish up my little stretch routine. my putting is usually solid, so i dont need much practice prior to throwing..then its on!!

1. Apply MyoNaturalhttp://http://www.myonatural.com/(formerly MyoMed) to low back and right shoulder 10 min before warm up
2. 15-20 "Lawnmowers" with theraband hooked around left foot
3. 15-20 "Lawnmowers" with theraband tied around tree or pole
4. 2-3 Practice Drives
5. 2-3 Practice Putts
6. Smoke a cig

Powerbomb my bag on the ground, then grab each individual disc out and scream at them until I put the fear in them, and let them know if they act even SLIGHTLY out of line, that I will find the scummiest pond, or the meanest dog, or a boiling pot of water (etc etc) and bring them to their demise.

60% of the time, it works every time. :thmbup:

1. Rock a duece.
2. Drink a lot of water.
3. Stretch 2-3 minutes
4. Throw 10-15 drives
5. I have two identical putters. I throw them both and whichever has the highest percentage I roll with. Doesn't matter which I guess it's just a mental thing.
6. Refill water bottles

A thread returned from the grave!

At first, my routine was just to stretch a little and throw a few putts. Maybe five minutes, ten at most.

Then I was encouraged to reconsider by some video posted here - maybe Discraft? a woman, pro presumably, advocating better.

So, I've tried to do a little better. At the moment I'm side-lined with a back injury, but my usual routine lately has been:

1)A bit of jogging. Just a few minutes to get the blood flowing.
2)Some active stretches - especially torso rotation and arm circles, but whatever else has been bothering me lately.
3)Throw my bag (~10 discs) at maybe half power (usually up hill, it happens). Usually the first disc at about a stand still, and maybe the last couple with my usual driving x-step.
4)Throw them back downhill at about the same power, aiming at a basket this time. Usually a little putting at this point, but maybe just 5-10 putt.
5)Throw them back at uphill at about full power.
6)Maybe a few more putts.

It _definitely_ makes a difference in my performance on the first few holes. I figure I was basically warming up on the course, and counting the throws, in my old days.

Sometimes at a tournament, where it'd feel piggy to occupy a hole throwing my whole bag I'll throw, I'll throw a few discs off a tee, and then just play however many holes I have time for, maybe with some practice throws mixed in. Basically warming up on the course. But, before the tournament! This doubles as my scouting run of the course (apart from a little recon the week before at DGCR). I've never arrived early enough to play more than ~7 holes. I don't know if I'd play the whole course even if I was early enough - I'd worry about my stamina through the second tournament round.

you think there is a market for a weighted disc for warmups? kinda like in baseball?
The most important part of the warm up from a completely physical standpoint is to lengthen muscle fibers and increase blood flow. If you use any sort of extra weight to warm up, best bet is to do range of motion tosses between arms with a weighted ball or use resistance bands to do a couple diagonal pull ups.

During casual rounds, just do two and go.

Morning tournament rounds normally consist of throwing up then chugging a red bull followed by 4 drives and 2 or 3 putts. Then some conversation while enjoying filling my lungs with tar.

Afternoon tournament rounds I'll play a few holes and take extra shots for about 20 minutes. Chug a 5 hour energy then rest for about ten minutes. Seems to work for me.

Living in the south the most important aspect for me is to be hydrated. I often make up a lot of ground in hot afternoon rounds because players are getting weak.

I don't smoke or drink, drink plenty of water, and even stop drinking sodas for the week before the tournament.

Some people seem shocked that I would take it that seriously, but when I am still peppy after 2 rounds in 100+ heat and they look like zombies I think I prove my point.

I usually do some karate basics (kicks, punches, blocks) to get the old muscles warm, then slow motion drives to stretch and get those muscles used to doing what they need to the right way. If I have time, I'll do 50 - 100 short range putts (10 - 20ft) because those suck to miss. If I'm at my home course or one with similar amenities, I'll use the driving net to hone in my releases. If a goat or wayward child is available, it will be sacrificed to my darkest gods (may not be 100% true).