• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pred Vs. Firebird

They have different uses. A predator has a straight flight with significant late fade, it will yield more distance into a headwind. A firebird is great for overhand shots, power roller, and gradual, but significant fades. If the hole curves the whole way i throw a firebird if it straight,but needs fade I throw a predator. Oh yeah Predator is longer and glidier.

I prefer the Pred over the Firebird. It seems to have a better edge/feel and you can manipulate the flight better. Throw it with slight hyzer and it flies like a FB, throw it flat and it goes straighter with a nice predictable fade, throw it anny and you know it's coming back.

IMHO Firebird > Predator (probably the minority here).

I had a couple Z preds that were OK. They didn't fight a headwind nearly as well as a firebird for me. Found this out during the first tourney of the year w/ a constant 15+ wind w/ gusts around 30. I can get better D overhand w/ the Firebirds and they're just more comfortable for me.

BTW 11x Champ Firebird > Star or 12x Champ FBs (again, IMHO).

pd

After carrying a firebird for a while, I recently switched to the predator, and find it far more useful. Though it is because the predator is slightly less stable. I find it much more workable than the firebird. I am talking about in Z plastic btw.

Agree, the predator is faster and a bit less stable, but still stable enough to handle virtually any wind.

They arent that different though, you would probably be just as well off with one or the other...but if i had to choose i'd say Predator

I prefer the Predator. It holds better lines, more consistent sidearm drives and farther/more predictable thumbers. This is a list of my opinions, not facts.

The Predator is probably the best feeling overstable disc in my hand. It doesn't feel like I'm fighting to hold on to it, like a Firebird or Spirit, etc.

It is longer and slightly less stable than some other meathooks, but I think that makes it more useful. As it beats in, it gets more useful, and still super predictable.

As for winds, I've never played in a wind that the Predator couldn't handle. Yesterday we had 20-26mph sustained winds and I was able to throw 350ft flat hyzers straight in to the headwind with a slightly seasoned Z and ESP Predators.

I like the pred over the firebird simply because it's a little longer for me. But I normally carry an xcal for my headwind driver.

I prefer Firebirds because they're readily available in cheap plastic, DX FBs break in very nicely for me, and a max weight Champ FB is very overstable and stays that way forever, so I know exactly what I'm getting from it (also best forehand roller disc I've ever tried).

The Pred isn't stable enough to replace my Champ FB and doesn't get glidey enough to compete with the DX FB.

am carrying a *Firebird myself. Like it over the Pred cause of the in my hands alot more comfortable grip both backhand and forehand

The FB excels at overhand shots, but not enough to overshadow the better performance of the Pred for backhand and sidearm shots, and certainly not enough to have both in the bag.

dflaschiii said:
I prefer Firebirds because they're readily available in cheap plastic, DX FBs break in very nicely for me, and a max weight Champ FB is very overstable and stays that way forever, so I know exactly what I'm getting from it (also best forehand roller disc I've ever tried).

The Pred isn't stable enough to replace my Champ FB and doesn't get glidey enough to compete with the DX FB.

I think thats the first time ive seen "Pred" and "isnt stable enough" in the same sentence :mrgreen:

adidadg said:
dflaschiii said:

I think thats the first time ive seen "Pred" and "isnt stable enough" in the same sentence :mrgreen:

Actually, the gripe would be is that it's too stable (instead of being overstable). Once a Z Pred breaks in, it flies pretty straight when thrown flat and hard before having a good fade. A lot of people want something that starts hyzering out of their hand.

Furthur said:
adidadg said:
dflaschiii said:

Actually, the gripe would be is that it's too stable (instead of being overstable). Once a Z Pred breaks in, it flies pretty straight when thrown flat and hard before having a good fade. A lot of people want something that starts hyzering out of their hand.
and thats when you throw it with some hyzer

Jesse B 707 said:
Furthur said:
adidadg said:
dflaschiii said:

and thats when you throw it with some hyzer

And that's the reason I throw a pred over a chicken.

Jesse B 707 said:
Frank_Delicious said:
love the way it flies but its also the worst feeling disc in the hand EVER

I am seriously the only person who doesn't seem to have a problem holding onto them. I understand I am in the minority here b/c there have been way more people who tell me they don't like it compared to people who tell me they do like it.

Frank_Delicious said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Frank_Delicious said:
love the way it flies but its also the worst feeling disc in the hand EVER

I am seriously the only person who doesn't seem to have a problem holding onto them. I understand I am in the minority here b/c there have been way more people who tell me they don't like it compared to people who tell me they do like it.
its just too shallow for my long ass fingers

Latest posts