• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Predator vs. Firebird

Its lack of glide that it is supposed to have could be why me running around with a 150 class one compensates for whats described here. Lighter discs do glide more but you sacrifice some stability.

One thing I'm trying to aviod is making big changes in weight and/or feel to compensate for glide/stability issues. I would struggle to throw a 150 disc consistently since my other drivers are 167+. I was able to get a 169 Predator to do what I need it to. It's overstable enough for me, and I can get it out there at about Teebird distance.

Heck, even 167's are feeling to light in comparison to 175 fairways.

I prefer the Firebird. I love the accurate distance control and the versatility of the disc. I don't feel the predator is quite as overstable as the Firebird. I do agree with the distance differences that were mentioned earlier and for the same reasons.

I don't like lighter overstable discs, they don't penetrate into the wind as well. I had a couple of 150 spirits and they were not as far as my 170+ spirits.

I use both. I tend to throw the Pred if I need another 40' over what the Firechicken will do. I also use the Pred for shots that I could loose a disc on, I'd rather loose a pred over a Force or Firebird.

I don't like lighter overstable discs, they don't penetrate into the wind as well. I had a couple of 150 spirits and they were not as far as my 170+ spirits.
I have a couple of 120 some gram Spirits that penetrate really poorly. It's funny to watch them fly into the wind, they get batted up and down a lot.

One thing I'm trying to aviod is making big changes in weight and/or feel to compensate for glide/stability issues. I would struggle to throw a 150 disc consistently since my other drivers are 167+. I was able to get a 169 Predator to do what I need it to. It's overstable enough for me, and I can get it out there at about Teebird distance.

Heck, even 167's are feeling to light in comparison to 175 fairways.

I have been having fun with different weights of discs to either compliment or compensate stability to make them right where I want them. Grant it, you still gotta keep in mind where your winds are comming from, but it makes it to where my discs are not just good for me, but seemingly get it just right on where I want it.

This can go quite poorly though. I can mis-judge what I think I need in weight based on the various stability ratings. For example; I think I might have liked my Buzzz just as much as I liked the Core (looks asside) had I got the Buzzz in the heavier weight. It's not like I found the Buzzz awful, we just didnt click and I think that is why.

So what are the big differences between Firebirds? 12X, 11X, 10x, 9X and so on...Do the older ones have better glide or controlability?

12x's are domey
they lack the "infamous" flat top

most folks like the firechicken flat

My 12X is flat and is the piggiest disc I've ever owned. If makes my Champion XCal look like an Archangel.

I just started using the flx Pred in the last couple of weeks. I got it as a meat hook and it's doing the job. I've never thrown a firechicken.

The 150 flick seems to do very well in a moderate headwind.

And this impact on flight pattern is...? More overstable and even less glide than a 12X?

My DX FireChicken is my money headwind driver and is flat as a cracker (I often play the front 9 of my local with this and a putter. The wind just cuts right down the valley and stays in your face.) It catches a line, and holds it with little or no sharp changes in height. More glide.

My Pro plastic has a significant dome, and while it preforms well in the wind, it will routinely act squirrelly, and erratically change height during flight, which kills my D (less glide). I keep it only as a backup, or for a short FH meathook.

As much as I hate OAT, it doesn't matter much, since OAT simply loves me. :wall: Firebirds handle OAT well, and I can reliably toss this even on the days when I can't seem to throw any other disc properly.

I think of the firebird as an overstable fairway driver and throw it mostly for controlled forehand throws and the occasional back hand that I need a hard turn and skip for. I use the boss as my overstable distance driver, but it is much less reliable than the firebird, although usually longer as long as I don't blow the throw.

I don't think the two compare, the Flick is a much better comparison.

Latest posts