• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Premium plastic mid lineups

I get impatient. Other than that, nothing. :hfive:

Impatient to beat one understable?
Throw a Dx cobra or stingray in until you get a Roc where you want it. Then you're not blowing the whole thing up.

Or switch, if you feel you'll be better off. I don't care. :)

Impatient to beat one understable?
Throw a Dx cobra or stingray in until you get a Roc where you want it. Then you're not blowing the whole thing up.

Or switch, if you feel you'll be better off. I don't care. :)

For me, it was Comets. I'm still going to throw Rocs in my off bag, still intend to beat some DX Ranchos in to have some easy replacements. I go back and forth between cycling and sticking with off-the-shelf neutral and understable stuff.

I don't cycle but I can cover every shot I need inside of 230' with a mako3 and roc3. I might be adding a rocx3 soon

Mortar
Verdict/Roc3
Z Buzzz SS/Star Mako3
TP Tursas

<3

Man there are a lot of good mids. My biggest headscratcher left at this point is - will the BuzzzSS start to overlap with the Tursas if I'm not careful? The SS I used to own was actually plenty stable for my power at the time, so maybe I'd be OK.

Same concern with the Star Mako3 - say I throw it on practically every hole, and pull out the Tursas only on technical shots... I could see the Mako3 beating into overlap. At that point I might consider grabbing a JL Mako3, likely max weight. Can anyone comment on the relative stability and life cycle of the star and JL Mako3s?

A Champion Mako3 is not going to season in for a long, long time... if ever. It will fly like a Mako3. A Star Mako3 will season in over time, but it will also take a good bit of time. That's one of the things I like about premium plastic, especially durable Champion and Star.

I feel i cover all the mid lines im capable of throwing with a proton axiom alias and proton mvp matrix. Might add something with a bit more beef someday, but currently dont feel the need.

A Champion Mako3 is not going to season in for a long, long time... if ever.

Bruh. Stop it.

I've owned and thrown flippy Predators, Banshees, Gators, and tons of other overstable to neutral/stable molds in premium plastics. Z Wasp? Yup. Q Sentinel? Yup. Champ Rhyno? Yup. See the trend? I'm certain other people on this site have the same or similar experience as me, and I'm even more certain people that don't even know or care that these forums exists would agree with me too.

Just because you're not beating them in because you replace new discs with new discs doesn't mean it's fact. ALL DISCS BREAK IN REGARDLESS OF PLASTIC OR FLIGHT NUMBERS. Or glob forbid you actually keep a mold in your bag long enough to reach 5/10? You admit yourself you don't even really break 300' - just chill with the nonsense.

Hey dudes,

I'm looking at possibly replacing a KC/DX Rancho Roc cycle with premium plastic mids. Presently I'm not far invested in the cycle and have a beat KC, some DX, and a comet and possibly mortar as US/OS bookends.

Alternatively I'm thinking of bagging a tursas as an US mid and one of the following two lineups:

TP Tursas 174g
Star Mako3 175ish g
Star 175ishg or beat champ 180g Roc3, cycle in the star maybe
Mortar or the like

-OR-

TP Tursas 174g
Ti Buzzz 175ish g / a BuzzzSS+Buzzz combo
Mortar or the like, possibly a BuzzzOS+zone combo

My fairways are speed 6-7 innova and my driving putters are judges, shields or pures, if that matters.

I don't see a clear advantage of one over the other, aside from the fact that the leaps in stability are possibly more evenly spaced between mortar / roc3 / mako3 / tursas vs the possible overlap between beefy Z buzzz / buzzzSS / tursas. I think if anything the idea of slimming down to a tursas / beefy buzzz / mortar sounds the nicest. Thoughts?

It sounds like you're just trying to justify NOT cycling. You don't have to justify anything to me. There are many reasons I like premium plastics over baseline (or "Pro" type). One reason is that I like worn-in premium discs (like Grip Enemy mentioned above) much more than worn-in baseline ones.

My take is that it comes down to feel. If you want a Roc cycle because you want all your mids to feel like Rocs, then go for it. But if you're fine adjusting to different molds, and they fly like you want them to, I don't see how that's a problem. You don't seem to have any preference for bead vs. beadless, so that means your problem is having way too many options. Start with what you have or what is readily available, and just keep playing. Probably any of the options you mentioned will work fine.

My setup is more or less what you're talking about: 2 Buzzz (Big Z that's quite overstable, plus a more shapeable but not-flippy Z), 1 Comet (X or Z), and sometimes a Drone. I think the Drone feels more or less similar in the hand to a Buzzz due to the lack of bead.

Bruh. Stop it.

I've owned and thrown flippy Predators, Banshees, Gators, and tons of other overstable to neutral/stable molds in premium plastics. Z Wasp? Yup. Q Sentinel? Yup. Champ Rhyno? Yup. See the trend? I'm certain other people on this site have the same or similar experience as me, and I'm even more certain people that don't even know or care that these forums exists would agree with me too.

Just because you're not beating them in because you replace new discs with new discs doesn't mean it's fact. ALL DISCS BREAK IN REGARDLESS OF PLASTIC OR FLIGHT NUMBERS. Or glob forbid you actually keep a mold in your bag long enough to reach 5/10? You admit yourself you don't even really break 300' - just chill with the nonsense.

Idk why i feel the need to comment on this, cuz i really dont care...but the post you're slamming is (kind of) right. Champ type discs will take forever to season. And depending on the courses you play, you might not ever see a substantial change.

Or maybe youre smoking the 1st available tree off the tee at warp speed every hole? I guess thatd expedite the process...

Idk why i feel the need to comment on this, cuz i really dont care...but the post you're slamming is (kind of) right. Champ type discs will take forever to season. And depending on the courses you play, you might not ever see a substantial change.

Or maybe youre smoking the 1st available tree off the tee at warp speed every hole? I guess thatd expedite the process...

Yes, his post is bad, and he should feel bad.

Well I'm not much help b/c in my usual bag I use a fresh and beat to hell ESP Nebula, and an Opto Fuse. I don't really recommend anybody going to a disc from 2008 that was never put into production. :\ If I didn't bag Nebs, I'd probably go Verdicts and/or Pines to go with the Fuse but EMac Truth, Truth, Evidence, Claymore, Core, etc all do work. Trilogy really does have lots of good mids. I like Buzzzes also but I'd be tempted to go old school and try to make an all Millennium mid lineup work with Taurus, Sentinel and Qms b/c I used to love throwing Qms'es.

In my gyro bag I use a domey 1st run Vector, Eclipse Axis and a Proton Theory and they work splendidly for me.

I feel the same way when DD gets recommended...

However Latitude 64 and Westside Discs Seem to have well made discs. It is almost as if the Dynamic Discs Brand gets the leftover plastic pellets quality and they have discs that feel softer or less consistent to them then the other two fully European brands of discs.

How do you figure? I do not see it as OOP, KC Plastic is what helped keep the disc around. Much as I can't figure out the flight path of a ROC to work for me. Classic ROC yes that is gone OOP Mostly with just a Star + mold version being made.

Make that the Stability of a ROC to work for me.

I haven't quoted SD in a long time. I'm sure you've noticed many do throughout this site.

Yes Champ/Z/whatever does take a while to season. Yes some people may never break one in to "beat to piss" before selling it or losing it. I get that.

Some people play rocky courses. Some people throw hard. Some hit tons of trees. Some play 5 or more rounds a week. For SD to declare a 0 turn and 0 fade disc to never lose stability is STUPID.