• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro or Am teepads?

jaymon1

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
If given the choice, do you usually throw from the short or long teepads on a given course? Why?

I ask because I am totally inconsistent on this front. Three of my local courses have pro and am on every hole: at the older, woods course I always play short tees; at the longer open course I tend to alternate; the third is new and I've played one round from each set so far. Also, back when I started playing and Richmond only had two courses, I noticed pretty much so everyone but the hard core, really good players threw from the short pads. But I also get to play in the Tampa Bay area and was told, and saw for myself, that all but beginners, kids, and ladies play from the long teepads there. And that has held true in not just the St. Pete area, but Orlando and Sarasota too. So I'm wondering, what do you do, and why, and what would you say is the norm among amateur men in your area?

If there are long pads, I will normally throw from those, especially if it's a course I'm familiar with. On my recent Ohio road trip I almost always threw from the long pads if they were available. There were a few holes where I threw from different pads; if the shot looked like it would be more fun from a different, closer pad or if a slight mis-step off the long tee would result in spending 20 minutes searching for my disc or losing it all together.

As for why I throw from there, I guess I like the added challenge and length. I think that I have a decent drive and sometimes the short tees just don't seem like they'd be as fun since I could get there in one shot.

I usually throw from the shorts. I've been playing only a year and don't have the shots to pull off the longer ones yet. At my home course, I'll start throwing from the pros when the ams stop challenging me.

A lot of the courses I play only have 1 tee but usually I play from the shorter tees if I have a choice. Sometimes if I am playing multiple rounds I might play different tees. This is at courses with what I feel like are accessible from both sets. I never throw from what I consider true pro tees. Most courses around me do not have them anyway. If an alternate tee changes the character of the hole instead of just making it longer I am more likely to play it.

I am inconsistent too. I play whichever one I like the look of best LOL. At Kereiakes I always play the long tees. At Mesker I played the short tees. And at Muse Park I played some of each. As I recall Muse Park is a little odd in that the pro tee isn't always the longer tee.

If I have an ace run from the shorter tee that's what I'm throwing from.

depends on how much time i have to play. i'm at stony creek (michigan) alot and i find playing the short tees can cut about a half hour to an hour off total playing time. so if im in a rush, normally i go for the short tees and on days when discing is the only thing planned, long tees for sure. although i do play very inconsistently on hole 24. i switch almost everytime i go depending on what im feeling. the diference between short and long there is almost 300ft so it really just comes down to how much energy i have or how much light is left

It Depends

If the long tees increase my odds of losing a disc or raising my frustration level, then I'll play the shorts. Otherwise, I'll play the longs. I enjoy throwing...but hate hitting trees 50 feet from the tee or losing a disc in heavy rough/water.

I throw pretty much exclusively from the longs, kind of a combination of the additional challenge and the chance to air out the drives more I guess.

The only course that I've played with 2 sets of tees is Milo McIver and that is a monster of a course. When I usually go down there, it's for 2 rounds so I usually choose the short pads to save energy. Even if I throw 400 ft, it's still a very long and challenging course but I like to get a few birdie opportunities each round so that's why I play the shorts. If it was a closer course to me, I would probably play the longs.

If the long tees increase my odds of losing a disc or raising my frustration level, then I'll play the shorts. Otherwise, I'll play the longs. I enjoy throwing...but hate hitting trees 50 feet from the tee or losing a disc in heavy rough/water.

I admit that I agreewith CarigC. I love the distance, but I am not fond of climbing down a gorge or watching my disc do the backstroke. If the advance d tee is too far back from the hazard and or the hazzard is 50% or less likely to even be crossed, I'm not going to start there. I don't mind laying up short of the hazard or just taking an instant penalty, but I'm not about to throw away a good disc for something unreasonable.

Don't get me wrong I love shots over water and big creeks, if I have the arm to do it.