• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro or enjoyment?

Is your goal to go pro or just have fun?

• Go pro

Votes: 50 36.2%
  • No goal in mind, only for fun.

Votes: 88 63.8%

• Total voters
I agree with much that has been stated. Like a couple others I started at 39. I'm too competitive by nature to have fun just playing but I recognize certain limitations. With three kids I don't have a lot of time to practice so I play local leagues once or twice a week for my practice. I'm happy being a competitive Adv Master player and Advance player on occasion depending on tournament location and size. I enjoy the game and the competition but no overwhelming desire to do so at the Pro/Pro Masters level.

I think your pdga rating will forever be lower than my credit score. J/k

I am surprised by the poll. I realize I won't ever be that good but it isn't going to stop me from trying. One question I have is, how far do the top pros throw with accuracy?

To answer the original question, I'd like to go pro someday as unrealistic as that may be. I thoroughly enjoy practicing and working to get my game better. Will I ever reach my goal? Who knows but I'm gonna give it my best shot.

For your second question, I saw Dion Arlyn, Nate Doss and Avery Jenkins play in the Bluegrass Open last year at Idlewild. All three were within forty feet of #1's basket with Arlyn having about a 25ft putt. The hole is listed at 640ft, so lets just say far with accuracy.

I'd like to compete in the Open division in local smaller tournaments, but in no way do I want to be a touring pro. I love the game and I put a lot of time into it, but I don't want to dedicate my whole life to it.

WORD !!!:clap:

I agree it's just that I was more wondering if you are just in it as a amateur player and ok with it. Or if you wanted to go further with it. If it ever got to the point where I didn't have any fun I would quit.

Last edited:
My goal is to win the open division someday at my local league, which will be tough because there are some touring pro's who play them every so often.

Although I have always believed in Steady Ed's mantra....he who has the most fun wins....I picked pro even though I realize that I would need to quit my job and focus on practice, practice, and more practice to make it happen.

Whenever it is I can find someone to sponsor my practice time...I will become a touring professional disc golfer!

Oh yea, I'll probably have to get permission from the wife as well. ;)

Pro for the simple reason I'm having most fun when I'm playing at my highest level and still being pushed.

Not touring pro just an open player who get's his hobby payed for.

I like to be able to pay rent.... That being said would I like to go to any tournament and know I have a chance at making a couple Bills. Sure, that sounds good too.

I enjoy the sport more when I play well, so I practice to enjoy the game more.
OTOH, As my standards go up, I have to practice harder...

My personal goal is to be good enough where I don't get upset with my scores after a poor round. If I get to a point where 2 or 3 over course par is the worst of my rounds, then I will be happy.

Right now my worst rounds are 9-11 over, best are straight par. So, I still have a ways to go :)

My real goal is to travel across the country and take in as much of natures beauty as I can.

One question I have is, how far do the top pros throw with accuracy?

If you have to ask you don't throw far enough...;)

But if you can throw 350' where you want it all day then you'll be competitive in Open according to a former touring pro I've talked to.

If you have to ask you don't throw far enough...;)

But if you can throw 350' where you want it all day then you'll be competitive in Open according to a former touring pro I've talked to.

Lol. I can throw out to about 450 ft but not accurately. I'm pretty solid at 300-350 but not enough to be comfortable in low ceiling tunnel shots. I'm pretty much a noob but I have improved greatly in the past two months with all the work I have been putting into my form/game. I'm not saying I'm ready to go to int/advanced but I'm working on it. By next year I want to be competitive in advanced. It sounds stupid because I'm in rec now but I have days where I don't miss a putt from 40 ft, park every drive where I wanted to, and shape my midranges exactly where I intended. I just can't seem to make all the things combine into one day.

I agree with a few other's here - these two items do not have to be exclusive. I always fly for the sheer enjoyment. Also, I do it for the exercise. Being the best I can be at it is always important - just so it doesn't trump the other factors. With that, I'm flying in the open division this weekend - at an official tourney - for the 1st time. I have no aspirations other than enjoying and respectably representing!! At 48 years old, there's no time like the present. I've progressed so much in the 4 and 1/2 years that I've been flying, so, I'm taking the leap. I can honestly say that, in a tourney setting, I have flown better rounds than pro's who have beaten the best in the world. I can do it!!

I just started taking this sport seriously a year ago but I've been playing a lot, working on my mechanics and the mental game. I've gotten a lot better mainly because I just finished school--30 years old and out of school (hopefully) for the first time in my life. So I'm looking for a job, but disc golf has replaced my academic work for the thing to do seriously. We'll see how long this ride lasts, but I don't go out to just throw discs. I want to be as good as possible because that's fun for me--part of the learning the game is learning to have fun and brush off your bad shots any way.

So if by pro you mean I'd like to compete well in open at local tournaments and maybe hit 1000, then yes. But a touring pro: absolutely not.

I started playing at age 35, but I've always been so competitive in athletic activities, I just can't get enough of it. Last year was my first year of playing tourneys, and I played intermediate until I won my first tournament during the summer. I've now been playing reasonably competitively in Advanced for a year, and had a good finish at Worlds. I would like to be a local cashing pro someday. It would be really nice to throw 1000-rated rounds consistently, and it might just happen if I keep working at it. And considering how much I enjoy playing, why shouldn't it? :)

Last edited:
My goal is to go Pro over just have fun. Either way it is alot of fun and I want to get better. I know for a fact that I will never be a Pro though.