• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour: Does Payout Matter?

If the general public fails to attend tournaments as spectators, it won't be because the courses won't be able to accommodate them. If a TD expects spectators, that TD must prepare for those spectators with staff, resources, etc. All disc golf courses can fit spectators if the organizers are ready for them.

Someone brought up Maple Hill as a course that couldn't accommodate spectators. Huh? Maple Hill is ideally situated for spectators. Dramatic views all over the place, stadium views of many tees and greens, gorgeous landscapes, etc. If Maple Hill had the required staff to manage the crowds, why couldn't they accommodate crowds?

As for prize money, of course it's nice to increase prize money. More prize money brings more competition which brings better action for fans. But who's gonna offer the prize money when there's no audience? If you want more prize money, you need a bigger audience - same refrain as always.

What I don't get is why broadcasters don't show the amount of prize money at stake during live broadcasts. In ball golf too. Spectators love watching money being won or lost. Why not show what each place stands to receive so we know what's riding on any given throw? I've never understood that.

What I don't get is why broadcasters don't show the amount of prize money at stake during live broadcasts. In ball golf too. Spectators love watching money being won or lost. Why not show what each place stands to receive so we know what's riding on any given throw? I've never understood that.

Because they didn't know what it is. It's not widely known until announced at awards.

Because numbers in the hundreds don't sound impressive.

The purse is fixed & known before the last round starts, yes? Why can't broadcasters recalculate final prizes in real time as long as they know the scores in real time and they know which prize structure the TD will be using?

Because numbers in the hundreds don't sound impressive.

Lol, if broadcasters and TD's of disc golf are too embarrassed to show how small the prizes are, why do they post them ever? And if they're embarrassed by how small the prizes are, why are they producing disc golf tournaments in the first place?

I'd think that, at most events big enough to warrant live coverage, they have a pretty solid grasp of what the payout will be from the opening throw. The field is full, and sponsors settled. It might tweak a little, but the prizes for the top of the division---which is all we're talking about---should be pretty set.

Payouts are supposed to be published before the final round, and they are at virtually of the events I play, large or small.

I don't know how much the skimpiness of the payouts matters. The only people watching are disc golfers, and disc golfers know it's a cheap sport, and no one's competing for millions of dollars. If $200 is riding on that final putt, it's still $200---I'd feel a little extra pressure.

I would suggest that disc golf needs less of the hyzer fest ball golf courses on film and more extremely scenic courses like the dgwt event this week. If we can position ourselves as an adventure sport played on wilderness courses at the highest levels it elevates or game past city parks making it more appealing to travel to watch and look great on film.

The ball golf aesthetic is great but it doesn't differentiate our visual appeal. Courses like Milo do.

I would suggest that disc golf needs less of the hyzer fest ball golf courses on film and more extremely scenic courses like the dgwt event this week. If we can position ourselves as an adventure sport played on wilderness courses at the highest levels it elevates or game past city parks making it more appealing to travel to watch and look great on film.

I much prefer to play nice scenic course with a nice mix of open and wooded holes. However, they only provide limited areas for a spectator gallery.

I much prefer to play nice scenic course with a nice mix of open and wooded holes. However, they only provide limited areas for a spectator gallery.

Agreed, but I'm suggesting this not based on who would show up to watch in person at this point in history (very few), but rather, on what looks great on film, positions our sport, and differentiates our sport.

You showcase the best players in the world (what this thread is originally about) and put them in a setting like the Franz Ferdinand course that was played this week: I believe it would elevate many people's perception of our game.

To continue to push toward wide open spaces that accommodate live spectators makes us look like ball golf's little brother and takes away from the production value that beautiful wilderness brings to our game.

I think the spectator gallery factor is negligible. There aren't that many non-players watching. The general problem with wodsier and more remote courses is that those very things make filming and streaming coverage more difficult.

Agree that we are still very new... maybe toddler stage.

Nikko grabbed $15k a few years back winning the 2009 USDGC which by all measure is our US Open... so that would put us in the 1960's with a ton of upside. Sure, we've actually gone quite a bit backwards since then, but I see that as a just a blip on the radar with bigger payouts coming over the next few year.

Just takes time and exposure...

If you factor in inflation, we're probably in the 40's.

To continue to push toward wide open spaces that accommodate live spectators makes us look like ball golf's little brother and takes away from the production value that beautiful wilderness brings to our game.

Even if the issues of filming in more restrictive settings is overcome, the issues of payout are still paramount. For the best broadcasts to draw the largest audience the best players need to be there all the time.

Latest posts