• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy X5

seayhorse

Bogey Member
So... I like Prodigy discs. I use their stuff for most shots. I've been using the Prodigy X2 and X3 since I bought them last year. I love the way these X discs feel, so I'm working with them as the main discs. At this point I've bought and tried out many of Prodigy PA, M, F, and D discs. I use Prodigy for most shots.

so far (one day): This X5 is flying like an X3 with lesser/later fade. This is not a bad thing, in fact I can work happily with this. But on paper this is an understable disc, which I'm not seeing yet. It's turning less than my X4, for example, hardly flips up at all.

Anybody else using X5 and want to share? Many thanks. I'll keep working it in the meantime.

I've heard the X5 is an inconsistent mold, guys in my area like the X4 much more. I have an X5 that I bought used and it is really flippy, moreso than my X4.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of either mold and I feel the D4 blows both out of the water as far as understable drivers go. I'd be willing to part with them if you'd like a flippier X5.

Thanks
I'm the only one in my area that throws more than one or two prodigy discs, if any, so this forum is the main source for my Prodigy information. I'll keep working the X5 and see if I can get it dialed in. If I end up committing to X5, I'll PM you

Thanks
I'm the only one in my area that throws more than one or two prodigy discs, if any, so this forum is the main source for my Prodigy information. I'll keep working the X5 and see if I can get it dialed in. If I end up committing to X5, I'll PM you

Tell all of us. I'm curious about the X5, and I'm sure others are, as well...

OK here you go-
My X5 week 1:
X5 rim is a lot like X3 in feel, though it has a bit of a bulge in the center on the underside of the rim. It's subtle so feels basically like the X3 in the hand. That's a good thing, IMO.
It's very domey. At slower speeds, it flies pretty stable- like X3 with more glide. But with a good snappy release it will produce a long smooth turnover with fade enough to let it down gently. With a near flat release, it turns. and turns. With a pronounced anny, it will roll. X5 is a good long roller disc. just keeps going.
Distance is good, consistent with the other X discs. That is to say like a speed 10 or so.

I'm working on the hyzer flip shot with this disc, give me a few weeks....

I got a couple of x5 when they came out and were sent out to the team. I really liked the mold. For me when thrown backhand (which is not my predominant throw nor do I have as much power that way, probably 425max) they flipped to flat nicely. Keep in mind I also live at 5500ft elevation so discs are generally more overstable here. If we had more wooded courses here it would probably be in my bag all the time.

interesting rim shots (ba dum bum)

open
X2

open
X3

open
X5

(sorry no pics and I don't know why)

The X2 has a bulge at the inside edge. The X3 is a little more toward the center and the X5 has a slight bulge at the center. But otherwise they look/feel the same, making these consistent in hand feel from X2,X3,X5. Sorry I can't find my X4 right now, and I don't have an X1. But The X4 doesn't have the same rim feel as these three.

They really do fly like OS S and US versions of each other. I assume that this was a design goal for Prodigy- to make the X series feel consistent from one to the next. It's done really well.

Will they become super popular? Only if everyone else likes the feel of them the way I do. THey don't outglide my other distance drivers, including Prodigy's own D series, as Bert pointed out. But they fly for me as far as I can throw almost anything, and they do it with a predictability, comfort and control that gives me confidence with them.

Last edited:
I got a couple of x5 when they came out and were sent out to the team. I really liked the mold. For me when thrown backhand (which is not my predominant throw nor do I have as much power that way, probably 425max) they flipped to flat nicely. Keep in mind I also live at 5500ft elevation so discs are generally more overstable here. If we had more wooded courses here it would probably be in my bag all the time.

good to know. I'll keep working it. thanks

Sure
This X5 is a good understable distance driver! It's got enough backbone to get out there and hold up on a long throw, and significant turn when thrown with good snap and speed. I can use it to hold a long hyzer line- its late fade means it doesn't crash out like OS discs will on this line. It will turn when thrown flat, and with and anny releases allow for huge turn and good rollers. It has a long smooth turn, as opposed to turing a lot very early, this turns over through the flight a bit more gradually.
I like this, but it also makes it a little more challenging to dial in my hyzer flip shot. (still getting that down).

For me- I do not throw 400' these days- this is a pretty stable distance driver at lower speeds and more and more US as power increases. I can see this being useful to a lot of us. It's very like the X3 with a later and softer fade, and more turn. As power increases, the X5 becomes a long turnover disc.

Not to derail the thread, but I also bought an H5 disc at the same time. I think the H5 and X5 are very similar with the X requiring more speed to do its thing. I can force my will upon the H5, while to do the same with the X5, I need all my mechanics to come together. I also throw F5's. The F5 is more of a straight fairway (like a longer M3) while the h5 and X5 are a bit more understable to me.

I'll add this, for anyone looking at these X discs- the X2,3,5 all require good speed/power/technique. I have to work very hard to get these to fly as the pic, while other molds get there and farther with the same or less effort. All of these are very predictable, so I think good golfers will be able to put them right where they want. Even the understable X5.

I'm somewhere between a casual thrower and good. I don't have 400' shots anymore, except for the occasional fluke, and I don't reach for the X2,3 unless there's a headwind or I need a predictable fade

X5 is weirdly/uniquiely understable and stable at the same time. The X5 is a great disc for long smooth turning shots. If you have a lot of power you can get a good hyzer flip to late turn out of it, but for me it's a flat-turn-smoothly-until it slows enough to fade. That can mean turn into the ground if I there's not enough air under it, but it's different from every disc in my bag. Or any that Ive tried.
I've said this before, but I'm excited to try all these X's in light and very light weights.

I bought a light 161g X3 in 400g plastic. It has taken the place of the X5, which has been in and out of the bag for a while. The lighter X3 is more predictable for me. It is an X3 that turns a lot more than the heavy X3, which is basically what my X5 did.

I still like the X5 for forehands and rollers, but am using the H5 for those more. I have a pretty gimpy forehand. :)

I picked up a lightweight X5 this month. That's the ticket. Hyzer flip machine. Not for headwinds. Monstrous for tailwinds.