• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Prometheus

Issue has been fixed with a new machine. Some things are out of our control....we can get weights in the 170s and the ability to get some in the 160s if we had to. Some new technology that we will announce soon has allowed this.

O

M

G

... Blizzard Prometheus?!?!?!!111??!?!?!!?11

I received mine yesterday and finally was able to go throw it today. I gotta say I was very surprised. For comparisons I throw a 163g accent and 175g amp 300 - 325. I normally don't even mess with anything faster. I do have a Pro wraith I'll pull out from time to time.

My Prometheus is a 180g and every throw was 30 - 50 feet farther than my normal drives. I throw RHBH. It had a very subtle turn and a soft fade, much like the inbounds flight chart for it.

The plastic feels soft but i nailed a picnic table with it when i foolishly tried a side arm throw and the damage is barley noticeable. The inner rim has a slight groove that fits my power grip well. This is the only wide rimmed driver I can throw backhand.

Needless to say I'm a skeptic turned believer.

Issue has been fixed with a new machine. Some things are out of our control....we can get weights in the 170s and the ability to get some in the 160s if we had to. Some new technology that we will announce soon has allowed this.

Is that new technology the foaming agent that most plastic companies use?

I received mine yesterday and finally was able to go throw it today. I gotta say I was very surprised. For comparisons I throw a 163g accent and 175g amp 300 - 325. I normally don't even mess with anything faster. I do have a Pro wraith I'll pull out from time to time.

My Prometheus is a 180g and every throw was 30 - 50 feet farther than my normal drives. I throw RHBH. It had a very subtle turn and a soft fade, much like the inbounds flight chart for it.

The plastic feels soft but i nailed a picnic table with it when i foolishly tried a side arm throw and the damage is barley noticeable. The inner rim has a slight groove that fits my power grip well. This is the only wide rimmed driver I can throw backhand.

Glad you like it!!

now that is the review I have been waiting for. I knew the lighter weight Prometheus were going to be money, and I was right.

Rarely do I get excited about a new disc but I really like this one. I threw it backhad, forehand,forehand roller and backhand roller. I will need to practice roller lines a bit more before I make a judgment there. I took this and a Discraft Crank to a field and threw them side by side for comparison. While the Prometheus didn't outdrive my Crank I did get it out into the 400' range a couple of times. I did notice after throwing this a that throwing my Crank felt like throwing a blizzard disc. I really like the grip and flex of the plastic. Even through the rim is huge it was comfortable to throw backhand.

I'm still a bit of a skeptic.

I'm sure it will work for others,but I don't like wide rims like the one this disc has going for it. It just seems that it would be so uncomfortable in my hand.

Speed 13 discs I'm not good with,give me a speed 12 and I'll kill it.

Maybe if this company will come out with a speed 12 then I'll try it. :D

I'm sure it will work for others,but I don't like wide rims like the one this disc has going for it. It just seems that it would be so uncomfortable in my hand.

Agreed (well, except for the Speed 12 part..I don't kill it with any disc) There was a lot of talk from Salient about how this won't feel like a wide-rimmed driver and all that but I just look at the pictures, then down at my little stubby fingers and know that there isn't a snowballs chance I'd be able to throw this thing, grip-wise.

But it would be cool if someone broke the distance record with this thing. By and large, distance records tend to stick around for a long time so it could be kind of cool to have a "race for distance" back in the disc golf world.:D

I find speed 13's feel quite comfortable in my hand but I just can't get them up to speed. The prometheus feels like a speed 13 but I can actually throw it decently. If you don't like the feel of speed 13's i would not recommend this disc.
Again, I have a 180g and I'm sure it is a lot different from a 189.

For any of you that have trouble gripping speed 13 rims, have you ever tried switching to the 3-finger power grip instead of the 4-finger power grip? That is what I use and I have found that it helps me to get a consistent grip on large-rimmed drivers with my small hands.

As to the Prometheus, I am going to need to put in more time with it before I can accurately post judgement. It is unlike anything I have ever thrown before. I can see the potential, but the combination of 186g and a high degree of flexibility make it considerably different throwing for me than what I am used to: ~170-173g M Vibram Lace. Hopefully when I go out for some field work with my unLaces I will be able to get some more throws in with this and be able to post a review.

I would say that I have smaller hands and I use a 4 finger power grip for my backhands. I found it suprisingly comfortable to grip. Acutally I found it more comfortable than a Z nuke. The Softer more flexible plastic adds to this. I was very confident with this disc in my hand.

Disc nation will be receiving the first batch of 170s Prometheii in Liquid Line Plastic. They will receive early next week as they went out in the mail today.

170s are a bit more glidey and reflect more of the true potential of the disc.

Our new "Helium Technology" has also been applied to Prometheus and allows weights in the 170s and 160s which is a 15-20 gram drop in many instances. Look out for Liquid Helium Prometheii coming to a vendor near you.

For any of you that have trouble gripping speed 13 rims, have you ever tried switching to the 3-finger power grip instead of the 4-finger power grip? That is what I use and I have found that it helps me to get a consistent grip on large-rimmed drivers with my small hands.

As to the Prometheus, I am going to need to put in more time with it before I can accurately post judgement. It is unlike anything I have ever thrown before. I can see the potential, but the combination of 186g and a high degree of flexibility make it considerably different throwing for me than what I am used to: ~170-173g M Vibram Lace. Hopefully when I go out for some field work with my unLaces I will be able to get some more throws in with this and be able to post a review.

If I try a 3 finger grip I have a lot of pain in my ring finger due to a cyst. I came up with a modified Climo grip that I use and it takes the pain away.

More importantly, is it actual helium? Will we be able to tie together a stack of Promethei and float across the Atlantic? That would be sweet. :D

You guys make me laugh :)

Not a liberty to discuss the process, I'm sure if you asked Innova or Latitude they would give you the same answer.

Just wanted to give an update...