• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proven Minimalist Bag?

ibcleary

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 4+
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH some flicks
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: P2 200/230; Roc 250/300; Eagle 275/320
* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Knee , Ankle , Back. Nothing too bad though.

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I'm looking to build a proven minimalist bag as I am starting to take some disc golf lessons. I then want to lock it down for a season and make no changes except replacing worn discs. Just barely got myself over the 300' mark and I am getting help to push it further and hit more greens. Trying to prove to myself that it "is the archer". I love trying new plastic and I think it is holding my game back constantly learning new discs and not working on my form. I started with Rocs and Teebirds years ago and I'm looking to go back to basics.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
173 ESP Surge (fresh/ OS)
169 ESP Surge (Beat/ Stable)
169 ESP Surge (Beat More/ Straight)
163 ESP Surge (Super Beat/ Turns)
These are mainly used for field work as they don't go much further than my Eagles yet. Someone keeps trading their beat Surges in to PIAS and I just keep buying them.

Fairways
175 Champ Eagle (Fresh/ OS)
171 Star Eagle (Fresh/ Stable)
166 Star Eagle (Seasoned/ Straight)
168 DX Eagle (Beat/ Turns)

Mids:
177 Pearly Z Drone (Fresh/ Utility OS)
180 KC Roc (Fresh/ OS)
175 DX Roc (Fresh/ Stable)
171 DX Roc (Seasoned/ Straight)
171 X Comet (Seasoned/ Turns)
168 GL Fuse (Seasoned/ Flip to Turn)

Putters:
175 S-line P2 (Fresh/ OS Drives)
168 D-Line P2 (Fresh/ Straight upshots)
168 D-Line P2 (Seasoned/ Putting)
169 Classic Aviar (Seasoned/ Turns)

Sometimes on longer courses I'll replace the Drone and Fuse with an Underworld and XXX to bookend the Eagles. Will this cover the shots and keep me working on form to make the shots?

Looks good, I like that you use the same mold in different wear and plastic to cover a range of shots. My only questions concern your subs, the Underwotld and XXX. What kind of difference is there between the dx eagle and underworld? Also, why take out the drone for the xxx? Most people like having a short range beef and a long. I would suggest a firebird, or similar, as long range beef to add. Something that gets you closer in distance to your surges. My two cents.

Good points. The underworld and XXX are well seasoned. The underworld will flip to turn at 275 power or can spike any. The XXX could be replaced with a Champ Banshee that I get more distance out of. Might just be trying to get too minimalist.

Whatever you do, the core looks great. Hope you stick with it, I'm kinda in the same place as well. Trying new plastic is fun, but doesn't always pay off. Good luck, curious to see where you are in a year.

A Few Weeks In

After a few weeks and a couple more lessons I have made some changes to the bag. I've found discs to replace some of the spots filled by different molds and ditched the Surges all together.

Bag:

Fairways:

FLX Predator (Fresh/ Stupid OS)
175 Champ Eagle (Fresh/ OS)
171 Star Eagle (Fresh/ Stable)
166 Star Eagle (Seasoned/ Straight-Stable)
170 DX Eagle (Seasoned/ Straight)
??? DX Eagle (Murdered/ Flip to turn/ Roller)

Mids:
177 Pearly Z Drone (Fresh/ Utility OS)
180 DX Roc (Fresh/ OS)
175 DX Roc (Fresh/ Straight-Stable)
171 DX Roc (Seasoned/ Straight)
180 DX Ontario Roc (Seasoned/ Turns)
177 DX Ontario Roc (Seasoned/ Flip to Turn)

Putters:
175 S-line P2 (Fresh/ OS Drives)
168 D-Line P2 (Fresh/ Straight upshots)
168 D-Line P2 (Seasoned/ Putting)
169 Classic Aviar (Seasoned/ Turns)

I had the O-Rocs and found the murdered eagle and Predator at PIAS. I was amazed that the eagle was better at pulling off shots I usually use the underworld for. Also the Surges only go 20-30 feet further than the Eagles right now, so I eliminated the temptation all together.

If you want minimalist you've gotta ditch some discs, lol. Like you, I now carry 16. People looked at me strange with my old bag: 2 omegas, 3 rocs, 2 teebirds, 3 firebirds, 1 wraith.
A simple bag works wonders and you look like you've got the idea.

Latest posts