• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Puckin futters

I've been beginning to think that this is the case, I really like the feel of the wizard, my girlfriend has a wizard and it's a triple s, it's still pretty rigid, I'm thinking an SS would be my ideal feel so I'm thinking head to my pro shop and grab a wizard and a dagger and throw them around, whichever I don't like I give away and stock up on the other mold. Thanks all for your help truly appreciate it.

Several member of this forum switched from Wizards to Ions. I would also feel up the Ion to see if it fits your hand.

I like slim line putters, so I use none of the above, but many swear by the Ion.

Several member of this forum switched from Wizards to Ions. I would also feel up the Ion to see if it fits your hand.

I like slim line putters, so I use none of the above, but many swear by the Ion.

The two discs are VERY close. The plastic of the Ion, and the inner rim.. that's really what I don't like. Worth trying, if you like the shape.. those are almost identical

I've been beginning to think that this is the case, I really like the feel of the wizard, my girlfriend has a wizard and it's a triple s, it's still pretty rigid, I'm thinking an SS would be my ideal feel so I'm thinking head to my pro shop and grab a wizard and a dagger and throw them around, whichever I don't like I give away and stock up on the other mold. Thanks all for your help truly appreciate it.

I don't remember the source of this info, but from what I understand the plastic blend between S/SS/SSS is slightly different, then within each of these plastics there is a gradient of different stiffness variability. So that's why sometimes SSS can be stiffer than SS, etc. But the texture/blend should be somewhat consistent between those namings. So my point is, feel up all the Wizards and don't pay much attention to the word on it. I also really like how the Trilogy base plastics feel for putters so you'll find Daggers that feel great, I'm sure.

As for the Ion advice above, I love the Ion and Anode. I think they fly just like a fresh Wizard and a worn to straight Wizard. But I 100% understand why someone wouldn't want to putt with that plastic, especially when the discs are new. As well the inner rim feels different in a power grip. But if you want a throwing Wizard and are ok with premium plastic, those discs are incredible. I know it's not what you're asking about here, just thought I'd add my opinion on those since I've been throwing the Anode for years.

I don't remember the source of this info, but from what I understand the plastic blend between S/SS/SSS is slightly different, then within each of these plastics there is a gradient of different stiffness variability. So that's why sometimes SSS can be stiffer than SS, etc. But the texture/blend should be somewhat consistent between those namings. So my point is, feel up all the Wizards and don't pay much attention to the word on it. I also really like how the Trilogy base plastics feel for putters so you'll find Daggers that feel great, I'm sure.

As for the Ion advice above, I love the Ion and Anode. I think they fly just like a fresh Wizard and a worn to straight Wizard. But I 100% understand why someone wouldn't want to putt with that plastic, especially when the discs are new. As well the inner rim feels different in a power grip. But if you want a throwing Wizard and are ok with premium plastic, those discs are incredible. I know it's not what you're asking about here, just thought I'd add my opinion on those since I've been throwing the Anode for years.

The ion comes in baseline now.

http://communitydiscs.com/mvp-ion-electron-soft/

Feels a lot like the Eraser plastic from Gateway

Thanks for the input. For now I have a cryztal Challenger I really like throwing and a soft x Challenger that's a little more flippy. I'm going to start experimenting with all trilogy plastic just bc I really like what they're doing for the sport and I have friends that swear by trilogy and I like what I've thrown so far. Guess it's time to go and get my paws on some pooters and see what I find.

The one thing to remember, there is NO magic putter.

Yes there is, Gateway makes it.:)

magics-e1399349517768.jpg

The only other question I really have is: can anyone tell me the difference in fade between the Dagger and the Challenger ?? It's kind of hard never having had a dagger in my hand yet and I'm liking the Challenger but in those longer putts I think I'd like a slightly (seriously, slightly) more neutral flight. Just as a putter I find it hard to pinpoint that adjustment in a 25'r and a 30'r.

Drive to the local disc seller and hold all the putters they have. Then buy the one you like the feel of the most. Go to the course and play. If after 10 rounds you don't like it repeat the process.

This is good advice ^^^^

Something similar I've done. Get two different putters, go to the course with just those two and play rounds, one putter against the other and actually keep score. After a while, you will notice some putters just work better for you and it may not end up being the ones you originally thought felt the best.

I used to love the feel of beadless putters, problem is, they get caught up in the crease of my fingers and I yank them right. Also, pay attention to plastic types; for me, the softer the plastic, the harder it is for me to get a clean release, but too hard I can't maintain a consistent grip. These are things that you can only figure out for yourself, every one has different tactile feeling.

I initially didn't care for the feel of the Wizard or the Rhyno, they both ended up being the only putters I bag now. It took me one summer, lots of putters and putter rounds to figure it out though.

I don't like Innova and the first putter I ever had was an aviar, almost made me give up on the game entirely

Oh geeze, a little dramatic for newer player don't you think?:p

The only other question I really have is: can anyone tell me the difference in fade between the Dagger and the Challenger ?? It's kind of hard never having had a dagger in my hand yet and I'm liking the Challenger but in those longer putts I think I'd like a slightly (seriously, slightly) more neutral flight. Just as a putter I find it hard to pinpoint that adjustment in a 25'r and a 30'r.

from my experience the Dagger is overall pretty straight. The HARD plastic tends to be more OS at the finish but works itself in - still stable with small fade on a flat putt.

Mediums are pretty straight the whole way on a flat solid putt. Of course all this goes out the window if you putt with the nose up and on a hyzer and into a headwind....like I did on Sunday.

With my experience with Challengers - I'd say the Dagger is slower, lil more glide, lil less fade overall - so I think youll like it, just get a couple and find out

Lots of good suggestions already. The Dagger, P2, and Ion are good ideas, and I'll add the Anode if you like deep dish putters.

Actually, I felt that way as well when I started. A putter that doesnt fit will make the game hell instead of fun.

Totally agree, a putter that doesn't work for you just doesn't work. But to hate the company because it made that putter? Well, that is a bit extreme.

I don't hate an Ice-cream company just because they make a flavor I don't like.:D

Then again, maybe he just hates Innova and the putter clinched the deal

This is good advice ^^^^

Something similar I've done. Get two different putters, go to the course with just those two and play rounds, one putter against the other and actually keep score. After a while, you will notice some putters just work better for you and it may not end up being the ones you originally thought felt the best.

I used to love the feel of beadless putters, problem is, they get caught up in the crease of my fingers and I yank them right. Also, pay attention to plastic types; for me, the softer the plastic, the harder it is for me to get a clean release, but too hard I can't maintain a consistent grip. These are things that you can only figure out for yourself, every one has different tactile feeling.

I initially didn't care for the feel of the Wizard or the Rhyno, they both ended up being the only putters I bag now. It took me one summer, lots of putters and putter rounds to figure it out though.

Oh geeze, a little dramatic for newer player don't you think?:p
Dramatic?, Not sure. Honest, completely. I got frustrated easily at first. A suggestion after playing with a friend, here try this putter, almost instantly I felt relief LOL it was a bad experience. No aviars, and furthermore, I just do not like Innova at all.

Totally agree, a putter that doesn't work for you just doesn't work. But to hate the company because it made that putter? Well, that is a bit extreme.

I don't hate an Ice-cream company just because they make a flavor I don't like.:D

Then again, maybe he just hates Innova and the putter clinched the deal

I don't hate Innova because of the aviar, I don't know if I hate them, or if I said hate, if so I didn't mean it. I do strongly dislike Innova in general though. I haven't liked anything Innova that I've thrown either except a Thunderbird. IDK just some things some people don't like, for me Innova is one of those things.

Lat 64 Pure in any plastic you like!!!

I've only been playing a little over 4 months but have spent a great deal of time practicing/playing (between 4 and 6 days most weeks). Through that time I've been through an unGodly number of putters: Pure, Judge, Ringer, Slammer Mirage, Deputy, Aviar, Aviar Classic, Colt, Nova, Swan 1 Reborn, and P2. Now some of those I bought for my son and just tried them....but I keep coming back to the Pure.

I've tried it in Opto, Zero Med, and Zero Hard. Love all three...currently using the Opto for better grip in the cold and because I like the fact that it shows no damage from hitting the chains!

TripleB