• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pure Hyzer Productions - Legit Final Round Coverage Videos!

Pure Hyzer

Bogey Member
Hey everyone, I'm here to promote my new disc golf channel on YouTube, Pure Hyzer Productions!

I've done three episodes so far, all of them complete final round lead card coverage from tournaments in my area:

Episode #1: King of the Lake

Episode #2: Hangman's Heave

Episode #3: Mama Bears

I know the first two episodes are a bit dated at this point. I'll be sure to post episodes in the future as soon as they've been uploaded to YouTube!

If you enjoy my content, please consider subscribing on YouTube and/or Liking my PHP page on Facebook!

https://www.youtube.com/PureHyzerProductions

http://facebook.com/PureHyzerProductions

You should get Hyzer Bomb, Big Hyzer Bag Co, and Big Ol' Hyzer to sponsor you and you could film the Spike Hyzer Tour, then get them to make a stop at the Hyzer Creek Disc Golf Course.:popcorn:

I watched about 15 minutes of Episode #3: Mama Bears. There is a lot I liked and thought was well thought out. I liked the Tee pad sign and diagram to show what was ahead; the reminder of hole par and distance in the bottom right corner; the reminder of player and throw count in bottom left corner, the camera angle captured throws well; the editing out all the extras and getting down to the throws; and the after hole recap of score after putting.

That's a lot of positives. The only thing that I found distracting was the zooming in and out. I'm sure with more experience the camera handler will be able to correct that. Bottom line: good job. I'll finish watching this episode and take a look at the others when I have more time

Thanks for the feedback!

RFrance - So I can try to adequately improve in the future, can you be more specific? What exactly was it about the zooming you found to be distracting? I have to zoom in on drives because otherwise it would be really hard to follow the disc in the distance... are you suggesting that I just try to zoom more smoothly?

bombmk - I've seen a ton of final round coverage I wouldn't consider to be "legit". Obviously it's all "legitimate" by the dictionary definition, but I'm using the word "legit" in this context as basically being synonymous with "high quality". I've seen a ton of disc golf videos which have no commentary, no on-screen text information, etc., in which case even if the players are skilled, a lot of the time you have no idea who's winning or losing, who's making birdies, or even who's who if you don't recognize the players. In my opinion "legit final round coverage" implies that with either text overlays or commentary or both, viewers are made aware of what's going on in terms of hole pars, scores, distances, and so forth. I can't stand it when I'm watching a video and I have no idea if a player is putting for birdie or par, if the hole they're playing is par 3 or par 4, if they went OB or not, who is throwing from behind the bush where you can't see them, etc.

With Pure Hyzer Productions it's my goal to not only film skilled players, but provide adequate information to viewers as I outlined above through both commentary and text overlays.

Examples of other disc golf channels I consider to be "legit" would be Disc Golf Monthly and TheSpinTV.

Loving the local footage! King of the lake coverage was awesome too! Smash bell is a baller...

The reminder of hole, par, and distance in the lower right is great. Not distracting at all, but super helpful (especially if I watch part of the video and come back later-youtube may remember where I was but I sure don't).

any non-distracting information that you can put on the screen is always great. Think of most major live action sports on TV with the HUD in one of the corners. I know it'd be a lot more work, but adding a name and shot number right above that for each shot would be super helpful as well. Overall score could be great too, as long as it remains non-distracting.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Always good to have more footage to watch. Good commentary and most of the angles were great. If I could suggest anything, it would be to edit a little more out. I know a lot of people cut out drop in pars.

So I can try to adequately improve in the future, can you be more specific? What exactly was it about the zooming you found to be distracting? I have to zoom in on drives because otherwise it would be really hard to follow the disc in the distance... are you suggesting that I just try to zoom more smoothly?

I went back at took a look at the beginning of Episode #3. For instance at 2:46 and 3:05 the zoom ins are great for following the disc but the zoom outs at 2:55 and 3:12 are a little distracting - for me anyway. A suggestion would be to just edit out the zoom outs and just cut to the next throw. So maybe not so much to do with camera work but more with the decision in editing the final product.

The reminder of hole, par, and distance in the lower right is great. Not distracting at all, but super helpful (especially if I watch part of the video and come back later-youtube may remember where I was but I sure don't).

any non-distracting information that you can put on the screen is always great. Think of most major live action sports on TV with the HUD in one of the corners. I know it'd be a lot more work, but adding a name and shot number right above that for each shot would be super helpful as well. Overall score could be great too, as long as it remains non-distracting.

I do have HUDs popping up for every shot from every player - they pop up in the lower left. Are you suggesting that they should just stay visible for a longer period of time? I like the idea of the hole information remaining displayed for the duration of a hole because it's easy to forget how far it is, what the par is, etc., but showing who's throwing what shot doesn't seem like it needs to stay up for more than a few seconds... I mean, who's going to forget that information before the next player is throwing?

Nicholas Long is a Pure Hyzer putter....

I would recommend filming behind the players on the tee pad.

I try to film from behind the tee pad whenever possible. It's actually one of my pet peeves when players are filmed from bizarre angles where THEY may look cool when they throw, but you have absolutely no idea what line they're trying to hit. That being said, if a hole is blind and I can see both the basket and the tee pad from somewhere NEAR the tee pad I'll opt for filming from there. Seeing how close the discs are landing to a basket seems like a valid reason to sacrifice seeing the exact line of a throw from behind a tee pad. However, if I have to go really far from a tee pad to see the basket I won't bother - in that case I'll film from directly behind it and then just try to explain where the shots are coming down in relation to the basket in the commentary.

Also, note that the first 5 holes of the King of the Lake video were not filmed by me - Central Coast Disc Golf was nice enough to donate this footage to me since I was not able to start filming until hole 7. Episodes 2 and 3 are filmed entirely by me.

Do you think it's always better to film from directly behind the tee pad so you can really see the lines the players are taking, or do you agree that it's worth it to move 15-30 feet away from it IF the basket is visible from there?

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Always good to have more footage to watch. Good commentary and most of the angles were great. If I could suggest anything, it would be to edit a little more out. I know a lot of people cut out drop in pars.

Thanks! I know that drop-ins are kinda pointless to see, but I like seeing who's parked for birdie, who's parked for par, etc... I also think it makes the competition seem more official, or "legit", to show drop-ins. An official conclusion to a hole, as outlined in the PDGA rule book.

That being said, I realized that I wasted too much time on drop-ins in my first two episodes, so in episode #3 you'll notice they're edited much more quickly - just enough time for the player name & shot HUD to pop up. I intend to continue doing this in the future, but I'll keep making the cuts quick around drop-ins so not too much time is wasted on them. I just like the idea of helping disc golf look more like an "official sport".

I went back at took a look at the beginning of Episode #3. For instance at 2:46 and 3:05 the zoom ins are great for following the disc but the zoom outs at 2:55 and 3:12 are a little distracting - for me anyway. A suggestion would be to just edit out the zoom outs and just cut to the next throw. So maybe not so much to do with camera work but more with the decision in editing the final product.

Great feedback, that makes perfect sense. I'll try to cut out the zoom-outs in future episodes!

Good stuff. Classy job.

There is so much footage out now, its ridiculous (in a good way).
My main point of commenting is something I've noticed with player feedback on videos and style choices. Follow me on this tangent if you will, as its about analyzing the audience. (us)

Talking about the desire for behind the tee for the drive. It tells me these viewers want the vicarious experience of playing the round. These viewers are interested in the experience from the players eyes. Its not specifically about the players themselves, the drama of the scoring, the personal stories or personalities, though it still could be… but its about DG videos being the next best substitute for playing. (Or serving as form modeling)

Its good to note, as many televised sports (especially individual sports) have over time moved towards storytelling as the main focus. They center on the underdog, the comeback, the dominance of the king or whatever. How tight is the race, who overcame some backstory adversity thing. Some story arc, even if its a stretch. They seem to focus more on people than what they are doing.

If your focus is people based storytelling, then a healthy dose of side views, if not a lot make sense, But… if its about vicariously playing the round through the footage then the behind the tee angle is paramount.

I can't say which is better, but I think living the round is in the end better than spectating the round. I wonder if preferences might change over time, who knows.

Just a thought or two. My only add to really add the icing on top of good stuff would be some more "B Roll". Either at the lead in of a production, or interspersed, though at lead in is usually enough. Gives context, sets the flavor of the course and area, the scene, the event. A Chance to hype the beauty of the area and region. I especially like how some of the Euro (like lgcm) editors add a scene setting montage element up front. A chance to cram in smiling people or landmarks, and highlight the culture of the "happening".

Thanks! I know that drop-ins are kinda pointless to see, but I like seeing who's parked for birdie, who's parked for par, etc... I also think it makes the competition seem more official, or "legit", to show drop-ins. An official conclusion to a hole, as outlined in the PDGA rule book.

That being said, I realized that I wasted too much time on drop-ins in my first two episodes, so in episode #3 you'll notice they're edited much more quickly - just enough time for the player name & shot HUD to pop up. I intend to continue doing this in the future, but I'll keep making the cuts quick around drop-ins so not too much time is wasted on them. I just like the idea of helping disc golf look more like an "

I like how Central Coast handles their drop-ins - they have color commentary about various things, next hole, early rounds, while people are putting out. They usually have some who was playing doing the commentary, so they ask a lot of what were you thinking on the drive off the tee type questions, and I find it interesting to hear their response - so the drop ins are visual "noise" to the insight being provided by the commentators. My $0.02.

Good stuff. Classy job.

There is so much footage out now, its ridiculous (in a good way).
My main point of commenting is something I've noticed with player feedback on videos and style choices. Follow me on this tangent if you will, as its about analyzing the audience. (us)

Talking about the desire for behind the tee for the drive. It tells me these viewers want the vicarious experience of playing the round. These viewers are interested in the experience from the players eyes. Its not specifically about the players themselves, the drama of the scoring, the personal stories or personalities, though it still could be… but its about DG videos being the next best substitute for playing. (Or serving as form modeling)

Its good to note, as many televised sports (especially individual sports) have over time moved towards storytelling as the main focus. They center on the underdog, the comeback, the dominance of the king or whatever. How tight is the race, who overcame some backstory adversity thing. Some story arc, even if its a stretch. They seem to focus more on people than what they are doing.

If your focus is people based storytelling, then a healthy dose of side views, if not a lot make sense, But… if its about vicariously playing the round through the footage then the behind the tee angle is paramount.

I can't say which is better, but I think living the round is in the end better than spectating the round. I wonder if preferences might change over time, who knows.

Just a thought or two. My only add to really add the icing on top of good stuff would be some more "B Roll". Either at the lead in of a production, or interspersed, though at lead in is usually enough. Gives context, sets the flavor of the course and area, the scene, the event. A Chance to hype the beauty of the area and region. I especially like how some of the Euro (like lgcm) editors add a scene setting montage element up front. A chance to cram in smiling people or landmarks, and highlight the culture of the "happening".

This is great feedback, thank you! I think I'd like to stick to filming from the players perspective as much as possible because that's what I personally enjoy seeing the most. I'd rather see a technical line a player is trying to hit than see their face as they tee off, etc.

I'll still stand NEAR the tee pad instead of behind it if I can see the basket, just in case someone aces or hits basket... but I'll never pick bizarre angles half way down the fairway or something like that. I hate having no idea what line players are trying to hit, and that's always how I feel when watching shots from strange angles like that.

That being said, the storytelling aspect is a very valid thing to bring to my attention. This is something I think I can learn to do better in my commentary down the line as I improve, regardless of what camera angles I chose. I mean even when filming drives from behind the tee you still get to see players from the front plenty of times when putting, etc.

I like how Central Coast handles their drop-ins - they have color commentary about various things, next hole, early rounds, while people are putting out. They usually have some who was playing doing the commentary, so they ask a lot of what were you thinking on the drive off the tee type questions, and I find it interesting to hear their response - so the drop ins are visual "noise" to the insight being provided by the commentators. My $0.02.

Yes! Actually when I was writing my response above to why I wanted to leave drop-ins in the video I meant to make this point as well, but I got sidetracked by writing something else and I forgot to mention it. I completely agree with you that it's a great opportunity for the commentators to explore random asides and comments not necessarily directly related to the gameplay.

I completely agree with you that it's a great opportunity for the commentators to explore random asides and comments not necessarily directly related to the gameplay.

Indeed. Commentary which merely describes what is already apparent can get pretty tiring, so asides and tangents can be pretty helpful in rounding out the viewing experience, summing-up, educating and informing the viewer etc. Kudos, PHP.

Part 1 of Episode #4 is here!

PHP #4a - Norcal Series Championships, 2014 - Round 2 (Criss, Castle, Barsby, Nichols, Moulton)

Five pros battle it out during the second round of a 2-day, A-tier event in Stockton, California.

Pro Players: Shasta Criss, Joshua Castle, Gregg Barsby, Max Nichols, Michael Moulton

Course: Oak Grove Park - Gold: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6810

PHP #4b - Norcal Series Championships, 2014 - Round 3 (Nichols, Addiego, Anthon, Gibs

It's down to the third and final round at the Norcal Series Championships! Going in to the final round Max Nichols has a five stroke lead over Chris Addiego and Josh Anthon who are tied for second place. Drew Gibson and Gregg Barsby are just another two strokes behind Chris and Josh. Can Max hold on to his lead or will another player make a run for it? Watch and find out!

Having some fun watching Anthon and Nichols battle. I won't lie though. Im a fan of Barsby, but not really digging him as a commentator here. He's a little aggressive, and sounds like he's had a few too many drinks. Maybe the Barsby sarcasm doesn't translate with only audio?

Interesting to see Anthon playing while wearing the ankle monitor...