• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Promoting DG on Local TV

Disc Golf Live

Eagle Member
The latest episode of Disc Golf Live video magazine is available for broadcast on local and community TV stations. If you live in one of the many areas served by such a station, take advantage of the free broadcast opportunity and bring some DG to TV in your town. It usually takes local resident status and a few bits of paperwork to get engaged at the station, and DGL dvds are provided at no cost. Check with your station to see what it takes to get things rolling.

Episode 62 of Disc Golf Live (Mama's Mini Masters) features a pair of California events and a great home-built disc golf project. Pure Hyzer Productions chipped in coverage of the Mama Bears tourney, while Central Coast Disc Golf provided Masters Cup coverage. Chris Beyer's piece on building a mini-basket for home use rounds things out.

Thanks to the PDGA for supporting DGL. We welcome additional underwriters and content providers, drop us a note if you're interested.

Best regards,

Joe

Can you go into further detail regarding local TV avenues? We have some channels that broadcast school /community stuff this might be good for.

Thanks for the question, Aim.

Minnesota has a great local TV system.

Every station is unique, so I can only speak in generalities about what a station may require but here goes.

Stations fall into three categories, and many "stations" have two or three feeds: Government, Educational, Community. Education and Government versions are often controlled by local municipal folks and may or may not be open to requests from residents. Community (also know as public access stations) typically take programs provided by residents. Some stations combine aspects of all three types of content.

Watching a station is an easy way to get contact information. Many have websites, that's how I tend to do my research. Many stations require folks to attend an orientation in order to be eligible to submit programming, some have online tutorials, others just require paperwork. Program DVDs are mailed to stations/resident providers at no cost and a content sharing website called PEGmedia.org facilitates downloads.

Between website information and a phone call when necessary, its pretty easy to track down a local station, then just ask what it takes to submit programming. It might be possible to find a golfer locally who is also already involved at the station who can submit programming. For local government/educational stations but no "community" option, it is always worth talking to the person in charge and inquiring about submitting programming. If there is a course nearby, it is a good idea to let municipal folks they can help promote a local resource by running an informational crawler with course directions, club and event info, etc.

Hope this helps.

Joe

well, with the deep freeze around the corner sounds like I should do some simple DD to try and get DVDs in the hands of those who have the power ;)

Thanks for the detailed response! Have a great rest of the weekend.

Cold headed this way, too. Not as much as you though. Sun for my round tomorrow, though.

Latest posts