• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push putt

Mygrassisblue

So I've been push putting lately with mostly good results, but I seem to have trouble in the wind. I know feldberg says get it nose up, but it seems to be wobbly when I try to make a point to throw nose up. Should I have a hyzer angle when I release? Sometimes my putt is to the right of the chains even when releasing flat, even when I make it. Putting with 175g wizards.

IMO a push putt is a good putt to know but use it only when needed. I would suggest not making a push putt your main method/style of putting.
But that's just my opinion.

I was missing right. What helped me was making sure my body weight was moving forward towards the basket (and front foot) during the stroke.

Thanks guys. I make a lot more than with the spin putt, except for windy days the disc gets blown off the line I out it on. I usually try to add wrist spin with a straight arm to help out but I lose accuracy.

As a push putter myself I find that in the wind you have to either give it a little spin or grab a more stable putter. I usually putt with a Judge or Mercy (Judge right-handed and Mercy left-handed) and if it gets really windy I grab my zero hard Harp.

I have read that Feldberg steps up to a Judge from the Dagger in moderate winds or grabs a Sinus for heavy winds. He practice putts with all three on occasion to get a feel for each and then the wind, on any particular day, will dictate which putter he uses.

Thanks guys. I make a lot more than with the spin putt, except for windy days the disc gets blown off the line I out it on. I usually try to add wrist spin with a straight arm to help out but I lose accuracy.

This may or may not help you...but I've found that rather than using the wrist/straight arm to add spin, I maintain better accuracy by bending my elbow a bit and keeping my wrist static. Feels odd when you first switch that, but it helped me out a good bit.

I've actually incorporated some elbow bend in my putting, period, and I've been missing right way less.

So I've been push putting lately with mostly good results, but I seem to have trouble in the wind. I know feldberg says get it nose up, but it seems to be wobbly when I try to make a point to throw nose up. Should I have a hyzer angle when I release? Sometimes my putt is to the right of the chains even when releasing flat, even when I make it. Putting with 175g wizards.

When there is wind in play, I'll intentionally manipulate the nose down and hyzer angles; the further from the basket, the greater the nose down and hyzer. This allows for a more "aggressive" (i.e. quicker / harder) push that launches the disc faster, flatter and lower mitigating much of the wind's effects.

Bonus #1 is my release point (height) can stay basically the same as nose up throws in calm conditions. Bonus #2 is the faster, flatter and lower disc flight pretty much pancakes and sticks to the ground when I miss...

IMO a push putt is a good putt to know but use it only when needed. I would suggest not making a push putt your main method/style of putting.
But that's just my opinion.

Your opinion is your right to have, of course. But it contradicts my opinion a lot.

Push and spin putts are two totally different styles. It's a matter of taste. There are some of the top players in the world who use either spin or push putts.

Your opinion is your right to have, of course. But it contradicts my opinion a lot.

Push and spin putts are two totally different styles. It's a matter of taste. There are some of the top players in the world who use either spin or push putts.

What do you do with a low ceiling 40 footer? I'm going back and forth with spin vs push putt as well. I feel it's about situation, or is there something I'm missing?

What do you do with a low ceiling 40 footer? I'm going back and forth with spin vs push putt as well. I feel it's about situation, or is there something I'm missing?

You're not missing anything. His post made no sense.

I hope they go ahead and push putt everything. I'll be more than happy to take their money.

I think it is safe to say that push putts result in less comeback misses.

Spin putters often blow by the basket by a good ten, fifteen sometimes twenty feet.

If you are a great putter you are always going to make that comeback putt.

But for us mortals, from time to time, we miss the comebacks. I think this why I evolved to push. When you don't practice regularly the push is a nice conservative style.

But boy do I miss the days when I was practice putting daily, had a great spin put and wasn't afraid to put one in from outside the circle.

I push putt. I'm not going to impress the pro's with my % made but it stands up as well as a spin put. Each has advantages and disadvantages, mostly associated with wind. Low ceiling from 40'? I'm not going to make it every time but that's due to my skill level, not putting style. I practice this type of shot in a hallway with two door frames between me and the basket. The lower you need to keep it, the more pop you have to generate with your finger spring. You don't have to loft a push putt to get distance on it. With a strong finger spring I can get a putt out 40' with about 12' of loft throughout the flight.

My philosophy on putting is, I don't care if you throw it granny style, end over end with your eyes closed and back turned. If you have found a way to make the disk go in the basket, stick with it. Don't worry about someone who thinks they have found the platonic ideal of all ways to throw a disc at a target.

One of the biggest things I noticed with my Push putt was the stiffness of the putter... In one of the many clinic videos I've watched on the YouTubes, there was mention of using a stiff putter. I switched from my somewhat beat up, soft-ish Aviar to a new McPro Aviar and it was a great change.

The spring, or pop of the disc out of my hand was a noticeable difference.

Worth a look! But it definitely improved my push putting, and helped all around, not just in the wind.

Latest posts