• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter advice

Garret H

Birdie Member
Hey, guys --

I'd like some advice on putters -- I was checking them out at the store today, but there are so many mold types I was overwhelmed. :)

I currently use a basic Aviar Putt & Approach and really like it -- it is my main putter, but I'd like to pick up something else to carry. The Aviar covers just about everything I need, but is there some other type of putter I should carry to complement this? Possibly something more overstable, slower/faster, etc.? Sorry, I don't know much about putters, so please enlighten me!

As for a different mold, I really liked the feel of both the Dart and the new Yeti Pro Aviar. I noticed there were several molds in Champion/pearly plastic -- is there any advantage to these over basic plastic for putters besides wear? A lot of the pros I see at the park use the Vibram putters -- what do these offer over basic putters like Aviars? Just feel?

I know this mostly depends on personal preference, but if there are a few particular molds you guys can suggest, I would appreciate it. For the most part, I just like something grippy that flies straight!

Thanks!
Garret

I tell ya, I've gone through my share of putters. I started with an aviar p&a, switched to a classic aviar, switched to an evo-hpp voodoo (which I still use)... for distance I had a vibram ridge and esp zone for distance, but recently went to se rhynos...
so, I guess what it depends on is what you want to use it for... putting or distance?

You pretty much nailed it with the line that stated "this mostly depends on personal preference." Are you wanting to complement the aviar with something that flies different when driving with it? I really like my KC Pro and JK Pro aviars for driving because they are more overstable than the beadless dx aviar P&A.

I mostly use my Aviar P&A for putting only -- probably at the most about 50'-75' out. Anything more than that, I use my Impact.

Garret

Keep using the PnA for putting, and buy a KC pro aviar for driving/approaches

People will tell you to switch to whatever they use. There is nothing wrong with an aviar, trust me. I have gone through JK aviars, XDs, Ridges, wizards, soft magnets, magnets, rhynos, ions, you are not missing anything.

I'd say get something along the lines of a Wizard/BB Aviar/Focus/Challenger. Something with a bead that will beat in over time. Even an Ion or VooDoo will do. FYI, KC, JK, and Yeti Pro are all BB Aviars.

r pro/ dx cro, trust me...ive never made a better decision, disc wise. i used aviars for a long while and i eventually went cro 100%, putt and approach, and thats my strong pt, no doubt...just sayin

Last edited:
Learning longer shots with putters is a great skill - a 200'+ perfectly straight shot you can pinpoint is invaluable. Pick up a Wizard (regular old "soft" ones are great, and pretty stiff actually), and possibly an Ion if you want to try out a popular disc. Both are especially great for driving.
Stick with your putter for putting though - no point in forfeiting all your experience and starting over with a new mold (unless you want to rework your putting or something.. then it might be a good way to break habits)

It would be great for you to borrow a few from someone else to figure out what works well for you. Essentially I think it comes down to grip and feel in the hand. Really I think there is very little variation in putters and what they can do, it is primarily up to the player. Get one that you feel comfortable with and stick with it. Don't go changing putters just because you are not a good putter. That comes from practice, a disc won't do that for you. For me I started with the Aviar, a great disc, then switched to the Voodoo about 2 years ago.

If you do really like your P&A, and it's for putting only, buying a second one for practice would be better than trying another mold.

I'd like some advice on putters -- I was checking them out at the store today, but there are so many mold types I was overwhelmed. :)

It ain't hard to be confused. There's a lot of stuff out there. You'll probably get a lot of Wizard responses. And with good reason, it's a good putter as is the Aviar.

I'm of the opinion that under 30` a putter's a putter. Outside of 30` it changes. The disc starts to show it's flight characteristics. I like something straight and heavy. I use a Lightning #2. Not that I'm recommending that anyone run out and buy one. It's just what I've gotten used to. I throw straight and rather hard. And I rarely throw my putter over 50`.

Hey, guys --

I currently use a basic Aviar Putt & Approach and really like it -- it is my main putter, but I'd like to pick up something else to carry. The Aviar covers just about everything I need, but is there some other type of putter I should carry to complement this? Possibly something more overstable, slower/faster, etc.? Sorry, I don't know much about putters, so please enlighten me!

As for a different mold, I really liked the feel of both the Dart and the new Yeti Pro Aviar. I noticed there were several molds in Champion/pearly plastic -- is there any advantage to these over basic plastic for putters besides wear? A lot of the pros I see at the park use the Vibram putters -- what do these offer over basic putters like Aviars? Just feel?

I know this mostly depends on personal preference, but if there are a few particular molds you guys can suggest, I would appreciate it. For the most part, I just like something grippy that flies straight!

Thanks!
Garret

If the Aviar covers everything you need maybe you're over thinking this. Stick with what works for you.

Just out of curiosity, why not? I'd imagine, after almost 38 years playing, that you could throw it off the tee like a surgeon, let alone inside of 150'.

Don't give me too much credit. I'm not that good. Particularly since the accidents.

I carry a max weight putting putter and two driving putters. The driving putters (heavy and light) are my control discs and are used for shots about 150` or so.

I took your post too literally. I just figured you started playing with putters as drivers. I have a pure putting putter too, but I'll throw it up to 100' if it's clear. That distance will probably shrink once it beats in a little further to protect it. I have another one for the trees and anything longer too.

Don't Change

If you do really like your P&A, and it's for putting only, buying a second one for practice would be better than trying another mold.

I agree with this. Don't fix what aint broke! You can waste a lot of time and money trying different putters and find you're better off with what you've got.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Yes, I agree -- I think it would be best to stick with what I have. And, I definitely will for putting. I have tried using my putter for longer shots and find it goes seriously understable if I add power. But, it flies perfectly straight on short putts. So, maybe I should go with something slightly more overstable? Granted, my Aviar is very beat-in though. Is the Wizard more overstable than the Aviar?

Garret

Keep using the PnA for putting, and buy a KC pro aviar for driving/approaches

I'd say get something along the lines of a Wizard/BB Aviar/Focus/Challenger. Something with a bead that will beat in over time. Even an Ion or VooDoo will do. FYI, KC, JK, and Yeti Pro are all BB Aviars.

These sum it up well for me. You probably don't need anything more than an overstable complement for drives/long approaches. If you like the Aviar, just stick with it and keep it in the Aviar family, which also includes Omegas (AP & SS) if you want to try a small bead variety.

But really a new Aviar P&A might be all the extra stability you're looking for. I'd start there b/c even if it's not beefy enough, you can never have too many putters for putting practice. ;)

I started out with the pro aviar, then pro dart which i like alot except on windy days!!!tried a soft magnet which is a good disc but my favorite is thw pro banger gt.The banger has a great feel alittle indent in the disc for your thumb, its a great disc when there is no wind/windy conditions etc!!!!

Latest posts