• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter/Basket

fiveonomo

I need some help with picking a new putter. I have been playing for 4 or 5 years now and I have always played with a pro Birdie. It has been a good disc but I am thinking of moving on. I know that everyone is different but I am just trying to get an idea of what is out there and what people think about the putters that are available. Secondly, I am looking for a good collapsable/storable basket, any thought? Help on both of these items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott.

Well I have 6 different putters and my favorite is the pretty new Innova Sonic, this Putter is the straightest flying I've ever seen. Put about 75% power in it and you have a perfectly straight lined shot. If you go any more it will turn over. So it's easy to keep straight, and turn over.

I also have a DX Piranha, this Disc is out of print, but you can find them online still. I really like this Disc and have had it for like 7 years now... It's more like the retro putters. But good luck finding that.

I just picked up an XD, and really like it. Innova calls it their most Driver like Putter they make. It's a good approach Disc also. I like how the the XD feels in my hand. It's got good grip too. Good Forehand Disc as well.

On the note of Baskets I just picked up an Innova SkillShot a month ago, and really like it. It has 16 chains, and spit outs are pretty rare if you ask me. It only weighs 25 pounds, and comes with a bag. Cost me about 130 dollars at Dicks Sporting Goods. The only downside is that it only holds so many Discs before the chains start to get moved around, and gaps form leading to more spit outs. But I have 6 putts like I said and there enough putters to putt with, but not so much that they over load the basket.

Last edited:
I have tried many different putters and I always come back to the Magnet. I especially love the Soft Magnet. It really goes straight and sticks to the chains for me. I got my friend to try one, and he really likes it as well.

I too was a big fan of the sonic...straightest flying putter I have thrown. That being said, I found that it just got spit out of the chains much too often for my taste. I decided to give the gateway Magic a shot, and really love it. It feels good in the hands, flies straight, and stays in the basket. So right now it's my current putter.

Of the ones I've used:

Aviar - good all around disc, that I used for many years and enjoyed.
Coyote - Yeah, it's a midrange, but it was a sticky disc that flew well and grabbed the chains well, so I used it for a good while.
Sonic - See above...good disc though
Pig - liked it at first but I dunno...just didn't feel good in my hands and didn't like it from a distance.
Magic - Money... :)

I'll also add that I am pretty much a 100% lob putt....so that plays a big role in my choices. I like something that flies straight, lifts out of the hand easily and fast, yet will hold a line if I have to backhand it.

As for baskets: I picked up an In-Step basket for my practice and love it. It breaks down fast and easily, fits in my small trunk if I need to take it somewhere, and is solidly built. It goes for about 70-80 bucks, and you can find it on ebay or online somewhere. Just look up "In-Step disc golf" somewhere and you'll find it. Good bang for the buck. If you want more chains it's easy to do, although I haven't bothered.

All I use is the XD. I like the low profile driver like feel. I have problems with traditional putters getting stuck in my hand.

But the nice thing about your birdie is that it's super slow. If you throw it hard and miss the chains it's not going to land very far on the other side. You will lose that with almost any other putter out there.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am not sure what I am going to do, I may just stick with what I have, I dunno.

Latest posts