• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Decisions

tboese

Par Member
So I've begun reviewing my choices for putters to use. To start off with, I've used a JK Pro Aviar-x (174) for the last 6-7 years or so. I've historically held the opinion that the floppier putters stick better in the chains than stiff putters. While I know this is indeed true to a small extent, I've recently realized that I was putting a lot more faith in this than is warranted. Especially if my releases aren't as consistent as they may be with a stiffer putter where I may hit chains more often.

Sooooo now I'm reviewing what I use to putt with. These are kind of my list of requirements or things in general I'm considering (in order of preference):

1. Grippy. I need the disc to be grippy during cold weather (lots of stiffer plastics get smooth when the weather gets colder, probably because of my hands but still), but not overly grippy when it gets warmer out.
1. Flight. I need the disc to be a valuable putter for close or long putts.
2. Comfort. I like the feel of Aviars (BB specifically), but I'm game to try different molds provided it's at least similar (ex: no I will not try something like a birdie...)
3. Weight. Always thrown heavier to fight the wind, but when I only play in the wind sometimes. I've been encouraged by a good friend to try lighter (168-170 range) to get just a bit more distance/float out of my putts.

Here are my thoughts on discs I was considering looking at:

DX Plastic - Not a lot of consideration. DX Aviars aren't grippy for me even in moderate temperatures (50's).
KC Pro 12x Aviar - I like the feel, and it's BB. Does anybody know how grippy these are in the cold?
JK Pro 5x Aviar-x - I know these are now R-Pro. I'm sure this plastic is still about the same grippiness as the older plastic, but still considering stiff discs for consistency. If I can't get a better feel for the disc with the stiffer plastic, I'll stick with this.
SS Wizard - My good friend throws these and loves them. However, they do have the issue of having a ton of plastic variations, some being grippier others not, and it's difficult to find the ones with enough grippiness and then get more than a couple of them. Some of the benefits around these are that they do have stiff and grippy plastic if you do find the right one.
Vibram Ridge - I've heard that these discs are very grippy, which gives me hope that they'd even be grippy in cold weather. Some of the concerns are that they don't float well so longer putts with them start becoming less of an option? Has this been people's experience with this disc? Also, what's the skinny on them not smelling good when they get hot (i.e. sit in your bag in a hot car)?
Medium Ion - I used a soft for a while, and while I liked it well enough, it wasn't that stiff, and it also got smooth during cooler weather (like my old champion aviars). The little textured part of the disc on the bottom of the flight plate felt good to me until I got some of the dust on it, then that too felt too smooth and I lost a good connection to the disc. I'm still open to it, but a little less than before.
Challengers - Don't know much about Discraft, but this disc feels good. How is the Pro-D plastic in the cold? Is the FLX pretty floppy in warmer to hotter weather?

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the KC Pro 12x the most, and the Ridge and Wizard are the next on the board. Would love your guys' opinions.

sounds like a perfect candidate for getting into wizards. it's true there are a million different feels and grips etc, but it's really not THAT bad. if you live next to a shop that carries them, go and check it out. If not, call up a reputable online dealer that doesn't mind hand picking one for you. sounds like you'd dig a super soft. Get one, try it, call 'em back and order more if it's your thing.

I really WANT to like the Vibrams but they just don't glide at all. It's like throwing a ball.... which can be good, and a lot of people like that direct, projectile feeling. I just prefer to have some glide on my putters.

Don't worry about weight. Stick with heavier ones. There's hardly any difference in 5g of weight when throwing inside of 40ft or so; 10g, outside 40, yeah maybe you'll get more glide but who knows where it'll go.

My buddy has enough of a supply that I should be able to compare some of his and toy around with them some. I did putt a bit with them for a bit and they are similar.

I had a lot of problems with grip on med IONs in cold weather. Then I just took up the habit of breathing on my fingers before each shot. Solved that one nicely.

jubuttib said:
I had a lot of problems with grip on med IONs in cold weather. Then I just took up the habit of breathing on my fingers before each shot. Solved that one nicely.

But then you have to breathe all the time, and who wants to deal with that hassle... AMIRIGHT?!

n3tw0rkn3rd said:
My buddy has enough of a supply that I should be able to compare some of his and toy around with them some. I did putt a bit with them for a bit and they are similar.

I actually spend quite a bit of the round doing this to try and keep my hands warm. Everything starts getting off when my throwing arm/hand/wrist start getting cold. I had noticed that you do get some extra grippiness, but it goes away pretty quick also. This however is a very good point.

jubuttib said:

in a Canadian winter that grip is cause your fingers froze to the plastic after you breathed moisture onto them

ManU said:
jubuttib said:

in a Canadian winter that grip is cause your fingers froze to the plastic after you breathed moisture onto them
Meh, Canadian winter ain't any worse than Finnish winter. =)

The vibrams don't glide as well as I would like for a putting putter. The only thing I'd personally consider them for is driving and approach, but my wizards handle those roles fine.
Ions felt pretty bouncy in the basket for me, which I didn't like. Didn't like the lack of grip on the plastic, for driving or putting. I love how they fly for drive and approach, but they don't do anything my Wizards can't, and wind knocks them around a bit more. They don't glide well for me at all on putts unlike other peoples experience.
Challengers I've heard good things about but never tried.

Considering you're comfortable with Aviars and Wizards fly and feel pretty similar, I would suggest getting a Wizard. My preference is Evo or soft in 172-175 for driving, and 166g Organic soft for putting.

It's highly recommended you shop for Wizards in person if you can. I own about 25 and only one or two feel exactly like another one I own. For the most part they all feel unique, but they're all good. They make ones that have just a bit of flex in the flight plate, but aren't floppy, but are still grippy on the surface. That is the kind I putt with and it's perfect for me. If you can shop around and find one like I use, I believe you'd be very satisfied with it. If you have to order blind, I'd recommend a Soft Organic.

how's about a Warlock for being similar to the Aviar
flies like the Wiz (a broken in one)
decent glide
and same plastics that Mike is talking of...I have a couple of really nice chalky SSs

I have a variety of them I'd be happy to send you to try out

n3tw0rkn3rd said:
You will throw my Wizards over my dead body...mwa ha ha!

All my Wizards (including the ones you tried) are a little too firm for your taste, I think. You should really get a 168ish SuperSoft Wizard and give it a shot, now that it's gotten cold. It should meet all those requirements. Discspeed will hand pick them for you at the ClearWater DG store, just tell him you want a tacky one and not a chalky one and he'll get it for you if they have it. He's used plenty of Gateway plastic, you could probably just tell him what your primary concerns are and he'll find you something you'll like.

I think I've given up on finding a consistently made Wizard, I like them enough that I'll just keep throwing them and deal with the variations as they come. It's really not that bad, they all have their uses, and every time I think about switching, I get warned about consistency problems with other manufacturers. Now that I'll probably be travelling to MN every summer, maybe I'll try and find a seller there and just pick them up annually. I could do the same for you if you like them.

I shudder to think how a glideless Ridge would do at the glide-sucking void of 7000'. I'm quickly souring on the idea of trying the Ridge.

Mike C said:
The vibrams don't glide as well as I would like for a putting putter. The only thing I'd personally consider them for is driving and approach, but my wizards handle those roles fine.
Ions felt pretty bouncy in the basket for me, which I didn't like. Didn't like the lack of grip on the plastic, for driving or putting. I love how they fly for drive and approach, but they don't do anything my Wizards can't, and wind knocks them around a bit more. They don't glide well for me at all on putts unlike other peoples experience.
Challengers I've heard good things about but never tried.

Considering you're comfortable with Aviars and Wizards fly and feel pretty similar, I would suggest getting a Wizard. My preference is Evo or soft in 172-175 for driving, and 166g Organic soft for putting.

It's highly recommended you shop for Wizards in person if you can. I own about 25 and only one or two feel exactly like another one I own. For the most part they all feel unique, but they're all good. They make ones that have just a bit of flex in the flight plate, but aren't floppy, but are still grippy on the surface. That is the kind I putt with and it's perfect for me. If you can shop around and find one like I use, I believe you'd be very satisfied with it. If you have to order blind, I'd recommend a Soft Organic.

This man knows his shit.

emiller3 said:
I shudder to think how a glideless Ridge would do at the glide-sucking void of 7000'. I'm quickly souring on the idea of trying the Ridge.
If nothing glides at those altitudes, I'd think it'd mostly even the playing field in favor of the Ridge. =)

Thanks for all the input guys. Anyone wanna chime in for the KC Pro Aviars?

ff you decide to go the challenger route i"d suggest trying light blue soft x they are nice and grippy, and fall right in between other colors of x plastic (super soft and they wilt in the heat) and the very stiff pro d. I've recently switched to voodoos though. you do ended up with the gateway consistancy issues but the good ones are money. Dynamic discs always seems to have good runs of gateway putters alot of which they have custom stamped so when ya find a good one you can sorta count on being able to find more. they also firmness rate them so you have a little bit of an idea of what your gettting

Dan Mc said:
ff you decide to go the challenger route i"d suggest trying light blue soft x they are nice and grippy, and fall right in between other colors of x plastic (super soft and they wilt in the heat) and the very stiff pro d. I've recently switched to voodoos though. you do ended up with the gateway consistancy issues but the good ones are money. Dynamic discs always seems to have good runs of gateway putters alot of which they have custom stamped so when ya find a good one you can sorta count on being able to find more. they also firmness rate them so you have a little bit of an idea of what your gettting

I love the baby blue soft x challengers. They are soft, but not too soft, and they have a little firmness that sets them apart from the other softies...,so I think.

I tried a KC Aviar for a while last winter and it turned really slick as snot as it got cold and if there was a little bit of dew on the ground it felt like I couldn't really wipe it dry... I've heard other recent runs are different. Also, I didn't throw it enough to scuff it up which adds some grip.

For a while I was doing the Aviar P&A if it was warm and the JK when it got into the 40s.

Warlocks are like a moderately broken in Wizard... without a bead.

I've been putting with Aviar P&As again for most of the summer and may stay there... or go back to the fusion tank and the SE Rhyno... best putter plastic ever...

Thanks for all the input guys! Still not sure what I'm going to go with, but I'm going to try some of these putters out and see what comes of it.

Latest posts