• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter grip and release

chowee21

Par Member
So I've watched several videos and read about putting and wanting some more people's advice.
when I holf my disc, it feels more comfortable to have my pinkie kinda floating.

The disc is fully seated in my hand and the base of my thumb is applying some pressure to the top.

When I throw, it almost feels like I am using my middle and ring finger to push the disc out of my hand.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 145
If you're push putting your fingers act like springs and will feel like you're "pushing" the disc towards the basket. Your grip also looks like it reinforces your thoughts. I actually use a similar grip but pinch with my index and thumb with the middle and ring there to stabilize to disc. With putting it's all about consistency, you could grip with just you're thumb and ring finger, as long as you can put it in the basket consistently you're fine.

So immediatly after I posted this, I apply a different technique, I think i got it figured out.

I have turned this into the "Spush" putt by apply the principles above (spring the disc out of my hand) and using the technique described in Dave Dunipace's Putting Tip .

I have quite a bit more power and also have a consistent release and control over the disc.

I have been putting inside (about 20 feet) and it feels good and I can it my spots.

This may be the shortest thread ever, but it may or may not have given me that "Aw Ha" moment.

I would never recommend that grip to anyone, but if you're set on it then I won't try to talk you out of it.

Assuming that's going to be your grip from here on out I would work on push putting and focus on learning to do that properly. Instead of having four contact points (index knuckle, middle/ring/pinky tips) you only have three and that will take away from the spring and balance required to spin or even spush putt.

What exactly do you want thoughts on?

So immediatly after I posted this, I apply a different technique, I think i got it figured out.

I have turned this into the "Spush" putt by apply the principles above (spring the disc out of my hand) and using the technique described in Dave Dunipace's Putting Tip .

I have quite a bit more power and also have a consistent release and control over the disc.

I have been putting inside (about 20 feet) and it feels good and I can it my spots.

This may be the shortest thread ever, but it may or may not have given me that "Aw Ha" moment.

Daves comments work well for spin putters- for push putters it is almost backwards- the body and arm do all of the work and the hand just releases.

I like the hybrid- I little of each- fingers and a little bit of wrist for the spin, but straight arm. As far as grip goes for that, my first joint on my index finger is resting on the bead of my wizard with the other three fingers pressed tightly as close to the rim as possible, but with pressure on the flight plate- to spring it forward.

dibnosP.jpg

I have a pretty similar grip, but my thumb is farther toward the center of the flight plate so my pinch point is more thumb/middle finger though there is room between them. My pinky finger does not touch the disc, but is stacked on my ring finger. Spin or spush, it works well for me. The closer my fingers get to the rim, the less control I feel I have on the disc.

I have an unconventional grip as well but for me when it comes to putting its all about what feels right to you. Someone could have the craziest grip but as long as they are putting in chains that's all that matters. If you find that you are having trouble making putts inside the circle on the reg or your consistency is off then it would be time to make a change.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 55
I never watched that dave video. Two things that stood out to me:
1 Strong side put cuts through, weak side catches. Go Discatcher
2 He basically says don't follow through, which goes against everything else I have heard about putting.

And yes my remark toward the discatcher is snarky, its a very small sample size. I actually prefer the discatcher over most baskets.
I watched another of his putting videos, and he literally says stop fast (not follow through) In his defense he is following through, just not allowing his wrist to open (one of the things I notice I do when I am not putting well)

I have an unconventional grip as well but for me when it comes to putting its all about what feels right to you. Someone could have the craziest grip but as long as they are putting in chains that's all that matters. If you find that you are having trouble making putts inside the circle on the reg or your consistency is off then it would be time to make a change.

I hold it like this except I keep my index finger along the outside rim, I have had amazing results by just changing the position on the index finger. I do think its a mental thing though and for some reason it works for me.

IMG_0306.JPG

This is my putt grip. When I first started playing, my pinky seemed to catch the edge of the disc upon release, so I made this modification to my grip and have used it ever since. It works for me.

This picture is my putting grip. It's not a putter, but you will get the idea. I rest the crease of my first index finger knuckle on the rim, and fan out my other fingers. I dont place any fingers against the rim as it creates bad releases for me. My style with this grip is a spush, but with a lot of pushing.

Attachments

• 20150326_124532.jpg
    20150326_124532.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts