• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Mentality

What do you think of during putting in a round of golf?

• Target Focus.example picking a link

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • Rhythm. example rocking/bounce feeling motion

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Speed

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Allignment

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Options 1-4

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nothing Im in La La Land

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

LocalsRoute

Par Member
So we got the other poll with putter swagger going and it got me wondering what goes through your mind while putting?:wall:

I am concentrated on the putt and hopefully thinking of nothing else...

Berlin's Top Gun theme song....oh ye-ah! :D

Thinking to myself, "I got this" and a combination of the first two listed.

I myself am known to be a very good putter. I have my bad days( when I think to much) and I do not make everything inside the circle...yet:D I find that I have built a routine that includes Allignment,Speed/Distance and Rhythm so I no longer worry about that while putting, accept on practice time. So I Focus on a spot not always a link or the basket depending on the put then I try to hit that spot staying focused on that spot completely through my release until I hear ching. I have found that when I miss most, its likely do to not staying focused on the spot through my release until I hear ching. I would compare it to Pulling your head out/up in ball golf or not keeping your eye on the ball in Baseball.Looking for the result before completing the action in other words.So if you are a focus putter give it a try see if it helps you.

I mainly think about getting it to the basket, which has been a big problem for me (bricking it short).

I prefer to hole out from the tee or fairway! :)

I focus on a single link, but do have a rhythm of arm motion and weight shift that I don't have to think about on the course.

I chose the second, but it's really a combo of 1 and 2. If I focus too hard I tend to not do as well. If I walk up, go through my routine, focus on myself, the putter, and the basket, I do better.

As I walk up to my mini I usually tell myself something like, "You got this."

Once I've gotten my stance, I'll check my arm motion making sure that my natural motion (i.e. what my arm would do if my eyes were closed) is directed at the heart of the chains. Finally, I focus on a link or aim point and let muscle memory take over.

Honestly, I don't go through this routine every time. If I did I'm sure that I would be a better putter but sometimes I'm not focused mentally and I can tell when that's happening b/c I'll miss putts that I feel like I should make. :doh:

i blank my mind and when i achieve the zen i putt. if i do that im 99% from anywhere. unfortunatly it is taking me a long time to master this mindset. but im starting to get it together much quicker now.

I am not sure how to vote on this one. I am working hard to concentrate, focus and relax when I putt, but I just don't get as good results as when I just walk up and throw without doing anthing at all. Grab the putter, look at the basket for a split second and throw. Takes about 1 second. Seems like the more I think, the more I miss. Make sense?

I look to focus on a link and sometimes the other stuff, but am finding the more I think, the worse I do in all aspects of the game. Trying to only think when practicing to get muscle memory now and try to let that take over when playing.

I focus at the center pole. However, My putting has sucked lately and I think I have to revamp my putting style/method. The last round I had, I could of shaved off about 4-5 strokes due to crap putts!

Any thoughts?

I voted wrong, didn't realize it right away. I picked Options 1-4, but really, that is my pre-putt routine. Making all the decisions, getting ready, what shot, stance, how fast/high, etc.

Once I'm ready to putt, it's the first one. Everything else must have already been decided.

During my "on" days I'm really not thinking about anything. Those days are the best. It's the days I start thinking I get myself into trouble.

Latest posts