• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Rounds

And actually with drivers in ball golf it's all about finding the right launch angle and flex in the shaft to achieve the right angle to maximize carry. Average regular players actually need 10*+ drivers to get more air under the ball to get more distance.

@Muffin
Is your thought process really so linear that you cant understand that there are a series of steps for learning a few things about throwing a disc accurately and far?

Its a lot easier to A. See how a properly thrown disc flies while using a slower/easier to manipulate disc
B. helps learn the mechanics of different kinds of throws using discs that are easier to manipulate.

You yourself said you wished you'd have started with a leopard as opposed to an Orc, now imagine someone convinced you when you had just started out to learn the basics of a flat straight throw, how to shape lines, how to "snap" when you were just starting... If you think you would of improved by starting out disc'd down from an orc to a Tb/leo, why does would that same tool not be applicable even further with discs even slower and easier to manipulate??

Last edited:
The more you throw putters the better you will throw them. Playing putter rounds forces you to make shots and hit lines with your putter. You learn what kind of shots you are capable of with a putter and it gives you more options on what discs you can throw during a normal round and that, in my opinion, is a good thing.

This is just one of many things putter rounds can teach you, but you have to be willing to learn.

The more you throw putters the better you will throw them. Playing putter rounds forces you to make shots and hit lines with your putter. You learn what kind of shots you are capable of with a putter and it gives you more options on what discs you can throw during a normal round and that, in my opinion, is a good thing.

This is just one of many things putter rounds can teach you, but you have to be willing to learn.

This!
See muffin, the few things you mentioned that you would learn by playing rounds with a putter are true, but you will also be learning how to do other things like mentioned above, you then Take that and apply it to a faster disc and so on, make sense?

It very well may not be helpful to you personally, but you could see how it could be useful, yes?

I've never done a complete putter round, but I have played a round with one mid and putter. It gave me confidence on both parts of my game, but I still intend to play more putter rounds to fix the horrible OAT I throw with

Sorry the Pig didn't work out for you. If you want to get rid of the one you bought, I'll trade/purchase it from you. I assumed that the Ion was "neutral", like an Aviar. That's how the Ion was described by someone in a previous post. I was just telling you what works for me. How old are your Ions? Is there a chance that they are beat in to the point that the flight is inconsistent? The only problem I had was that as soon as I chimed in, someone else immediately said I was wrong, and they themselves didn't have all of the correct information.

Glad you picked up on what I was calling dumb. I don't care if you're wrong. If someone else on here does, **** 'em. You had misinformation and corrected the advice to match the truth once you knew it. Great question on my Ions though. The one I drove so badly has seen some use, so that COULD be part of the issue. I don't have a lot of experience driving them since then. I did pull a brand new Opto Pure out of the bag and flip it over too though, so it isn't entirely the discs fault. I'll work with all of my putters and mids more and see what happens. Best possible thing I can do at this point.

And the rest of you should get in a cage together so we can see who's right. I love forums. If you can sift through the crap and backbiting you're actually able to learn something... Or you can ask an honest question like I did last night and get zero feedback because all of you *******s are too busy insulting each other.

I carry two bosses, two katanas, seven wizards, and four rocs.

Sometimes I wonder why I carry drivers. I am maybe getting an extra hundred fifty feet on a good rip, but they are always getting me into trouble... If I didn't play Kincaid every day I'd take them out of my bag. Maybe just keep a katana for the nasty...

Mid-range and putter only rounds make you a better player. Like previous posters said, focus is on placement and line shapes.

And the rest of you should get in a cage together so we can see who's right. I love forums. If you can sift through the crap and backbiting you're actually able to learn something... Or you can ask an honest question like I did last night and get zero feedback because all of you *******s are too busy insulting each other.

U mad bro?
Also a cage fight would be silly, id win and there would be pieces of muffin everywhere, very messy

U mad bro?
Also a cage fight would be silly, id win and there would be pieces of muffin everywhere, very messy

Nope. Although the thought of you walking out of a cage covered in muffin chunks is pretty amazing. This thread seems to devolve more and more the further out we get. Quite entertaining.

I don't want to come off like an A... Putter rounds (and forehand only rounds) have really helped my game. I don't even try to throw drivers hard anymore. Smooth really is far. Throwing putters farther gave me the tools I needed to learn this. My scoring improved dramatically in a very short time.

I can only relate what happened to me. I really hope that newer players improve rapidly too.

I seldom play from the rough anymore. I think my putter only rounds had more than a lot to do with that. I can only speak for myself... there are many paths available to travel to a destination. Putter rounds were the best path for me.

This is where your ignorance shines through.
Ball golf and disc golf share a few simular traits, how you utilize your discs/clubs isnt necessarily one of them. Using your putter in ball golf off of the tee or for an approach is generally a disadvantage. In disc golf the "putter" disc is more versatile than the putter club. It can be used as a "wedge" a "short iron" or as a "putter". So comparing the two when one isnt nearly as specialized as the other is dumb.

Also "driving" is rarely "100%, all out", if thats how you do it, there may be strokes to take off our score by fixing that.

It is ignorant to think any sport represents any other sport 'perfectly' in analogy. That is why it is an analogy, to clarify a line, a distinction. I easily could have said 'practice pitching will not help your hitting', 'practice kicking field goals will not help your tackling', etc.

And last time I checked, when people had a contest to see who could throw the disc the longest, it was called a 'driving contest'. Of course, if you are playing a round, and you are taking a little off, controlling the distance, and more concerned with 'placement', then you are making an 'approach' shot.

I am not against having the ability to 'drive' a putter. I am against the philosophy that 'driving' a putter will cure all your dg woes.' Driving your putter will make you good at driving your putter, and that is about it.

I saw online that a course was 755 feet total in length. I brought only putters and was sorry to see that the first hole was 390 into the wind! I have been meaning to do this to improve my backhand game though.

I think it's funny that Stud's argument that playing putter rounds will only improve driving with putters, however they title of this thread is puttter rounds not putter driving or field work with only putters or what have you. I think it's beneficial because you can really work on your approach game accuracy with your putters if you do this. (I don't do it much but the course I play the most is short and really only requires a putter off the tee on many of the holes)

I've found that helps me on longer courses when I'm 150' out and I want to be accurate with my putter.

Practice will make you better, if you choose to play putter only rounds it will help some aspects of your game. It will help your driving with putters, you'll have to spend some time working on nose down with your drivers after. But to just dismiss it as foolish is in itself foolish.

Latest posts