• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter's 21 (Disc Golf/Horse Shoes)

hedfan1

Eagle Member
It might exist already but I've never seen or heard of it so I decided to draft some rules and give it a name... PUTTER'S 21 Tell me what you think please.

PUTTER'S 21
1. This game is played by two, three or four players. (More if desired)
2. Only if an even number of players are involved can (T)eams be made.
3. Place two Disc Golf Baskets 50 feet apart.
(Distance between baskets can vary for player ability)
S4 Each player has one, preferably two discs each.
S5 If playing as (S)ingles, all players stand by the same basket of the two previously placed baskets.
S6 All players shoot from the same location, from one basket to the other basket.
S7 The starting order does not matter. Player one shoots one disc then player two shoots one disc and so on. Once all players shoot one disc, player one will then shoot their second disc and so on until everyone has shot both discs. The player that has the most points will shoot first, second most points will shoot second and so fourth as the game progresses.
S8 If a player makes their long shot it counts as three points. If a player makes both long shots they will receive six points total.
S9 If a player misses one or both of their long shots they still have an opportunity to gain points by making their putt from where their long shot landed. If they make their putt from where their long shot landed they gain one point for each putt made. The completion on this process is called one round.
S10 The first player that reaches 21 points and leads by three after a completed round is the WINNER!

T1 If playing as teams of two, partners of each team will stand at opposing baskets, using two discs per team.
T2 Players at the same basket will proceed to shoot as if they where playing one on one as directed above.
T3 The point system for teams is the same as the individual game. Although now, if the long shot is missed by any player their teammate by the other basket will attempt to putt in their teammate's missed shot from where it landed.
T4 This process continues until a team has reached 21 and leads by three.

I love games. It goes along with not missing out on fun. Any chance you can post some kind of diagram to help us get our heads around this? I think it makes sense, but I want to be sure before I give it a rip.

Who regularly hits 50' putts? Even Climo is probably <50% at this range.

I know you said you can adjust for ability, just saying you are reaching too high, maybe 40' but you would probably be surprised at how hard a 30' is to hit consistently.

Is this a fecetious comment? I hope so.

Not facetious in the least. I play different bar/tailgate/backyard games all the time (and have created a few that I'm working on patenting) and if you check out my sig, I'm a big advocate of fun. I was serious about the diagram if you have a chance to upload one. Thanks! :thmbup:

What if you lost a point if you miss that follow up putt? Would encourage players not to go 30ft past the basket. So it would be 3 pts if you hit the 50 fter, If you don't you have 1 pt if you make the follow up, lose 1 pt if you miss that follow up.

I like this idea and have played a 'make shift' game that is very similar.

I have also played with two baskets and teams of two with a similar set up and throwing rotation to the drinking games "caps" or "beer pong." It makes putting practice fun and competetive.

Is this a fecetious comment? I hope so.

The idea is to not regularly hit the 50 foot putt. That is why it is worth 3 points instead of 2. It's a big enough insentive to go for 3 points but makes you want to be able to get one point if you miss. The idea is to learn how to go for those 50 foot putts and still be able to keep your disc landing close to the basket if you miss. Then practice your short putts for 1 point when you do miss.

When I'm playing I want to go for birdies but ensure I get par.

We play H.O.R.S.E. as well but that doesn't teach you how to putt like your in a round of DG. If you miss your shot, you miss it. There is no incentive to keep your disc from shooting 30 feet past the basket. People tend to putt differently when playing H.O.R.S.E. or just shooting the long shot over and over.

In DG you don't want to over shoot the target by 30 feet, right? This game is suppose to help you work on that, while increasing your accuracy for longer and shorter putting. Do you give your self a birdie if you just hit the basket? Almost making it is still missing it...

I'm just giving you my reasoning for the way I set up the rules, and defending them.

Got it. :thmbup:

I like this idea. I've done pp360 for so long that I'm getting tired of it and the other one--42?--was too complicated for my simple brain. I'm going to try this:thmbup:

Yeah we play a very similiar game around here. But we make it easy and make you have to use one of your partners putters.
So there are four people. 2 v 2. You and your partner stand on oppisite ends just like the other two.
Before you start you both pick a putter and you both have to throw one of yours and one of your partners.
So then I would throw both putters, then my opponent who is standing next to me throws both of his.
If you make either on you get 3 points, if you make both you get a 1 bonus point.
If you chain out its 2 points and if you hit high or low its one point.
BUT, if you hit the pole it's -1 point and to get really competitive if you don't hit anything at all its -1.

That's how we play round these parts.

Every Wednesday night at Sidelines Grill in Marietta, GA, we play a variation on this, with rules as follows:

Once the number of players is established, we flip for playing order. The order rotates every round.
The first player every round chooses where to putt from, and declares any "mandos" if he wants to.
He then putts 3 discs from this spot at a single basket, followed by the next player, etc.
A made shot is worth 3 points. Hitting chains is worth 2 points. Hitting the basket is worth 1.
The first player to 21 points without going over wins.
If you go over 21, such as by hitting chains when you have 20, you go back down to 15.

This is a sort of disc golfing cross between "horse" and "21," and it's a lot of fun indoors in a big room with obstacles. :thmbup:

What if you lost a point if you miss that follow up putt? Would encourage players not to go 30ft past the basket. So it would be 3 pts if you hit the 50 fter, If you don't you have 1 pt if you make the follow up, lose 1 pt if you miss that follow up.

I thought about point subtractions but I wasn't sure if that would prolong the game a bit too much. I have yet to play this game, I'm still trying to get some friends to come try it and give me some notes on it.

Yeah we play a very similiar game around here. But we make it easy and make you have to use one of your partners putters.
So there are four people. 2 v 2. You and your partner stand on oppisite ends just like the other two.
Before you start you both pick a putter and you both have to throw one of yours and one of your partners.
So then I would throw both putters, then my opponent who is standing next to me throws both of his.
If you make either on you get 3 points, if you make both you get a 1 bonus point.
If you chain out its 2 points and if you hit high or low its one point.
BUT, if you hit the pole it's -1 point and to get really competitive if you don't hit anything at all its -1.

That's how we play round these parts.

I've used my 2 mach lites to play something very similar, though my scoring was a little simpler. Each player on a side throws 3 discs, 3 points for a made putt and 1 point for hitting anywhere on the basket.

I hope anyone that has the baskets and or place to play trys this out. I'm glad to hear the feedback and that others out there are doing similar games to work on their DGC games!

As like most yards games, variations are accepted and welcome.

In my teams of two, you also use one putter from each team member so you would be putting with both your disc and your partners. I'm glad you like that variation bthoma1.

Lewis, how long does a typical game like yours last with the -1 missed putts and back to 15 for going over 21?

We play something like this but have 3 points for basket and 1 point for metal hit. Ace race style kind of....

me and a buddy played this last night in my backyard, had the baskets about 35 feet apart. we had a lot of fun while grilling some burgers/hotdogs

Rule clarification

Ok, so my friends and I play it where making it in is 3 points, hitting chains is 2, hitting basket is 1, and hitting the bottom pole is -1. We were betting discs so it's kinda important. I was at 19 and we were doing 2 discs. So I hit a put that put me and 22, if I hit the pole for -1 for my second putt, would that putt me at 21? Because they said I automatically go down since I went over but I still had a chance to get to 21. So what is correct

I recommend making a missed comeback putt a one point deduction because for most players I know, laying up both of the 50' shots for the easy putting points is a winning strategy against a player running their first shot. If the goal is to get comfortable running longer shots, learning that you can handle the comeback putt is important

Latest posts