• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putters Anonymous

I've always felt like I have an issue.....I currently carry 5 throwing putters and two putting putters. There are only 3 molds though. I have 2 E Anodes to putt with, a soft proton anode for piping dead straight shots, a firm E Anode for flippier duty, my main thrower is a freshish plasma ion, an old beat up proton ion (serves basically as a backup, falls between the plaz ion and the soft p anode on stability, mostly in the bag for sentiment reasons, and to fill space lol) and capped off by a soft neutron particle for OS duties.

2 max weight JB Roaches, 1 for putting only, 1 kinda beat for a flippy thrower and backup putter.

165g Moonshine Envy for primary throwing duties.

Max weight Ti Zone.

Yah, I really can't wait for the (late) 2020-2021 season to start. I'm going to be throwing putters more than ever. I've been throwing Wizards for years and added the Deputy a while back as well. Both give me incredible glide, with the Deputy being a fantastic hyzer flip/turn over disc. But the Luna and the Fierce has my attention. If anyone has any experience with those 2 discs, I'd love to hear some feedback, especially in glide/distance compared to the Wiz/Dep. Thanks.

What do you use your Judge and Envy for? Those are two of my absolute favorite putter molds, but I didn't find them to coexist very well in my bag. Envy is a little faster and more HSS, Judge a little slower and easier to work angles with...but overall they are a similar enough stability that I felt I just needed to pick one and stick with it. I chose Judges this year because they are more versatile for me and I putt with them now too, but you can never go wrong with relying on Envies!

Funny enough, I am toying with throwing the Envy's kid brother, the Proxy, back in the bag, albeit in a small well-defined role. I play a lot of long tunnel shots, and the Proxy is such a good disc for just ripping hard, flat, and straight down a hallway.

Yeah Proxy is the one I absolutely can't do without. For all those place in the middle, helicopter landing, holes. To your original post, there's a 600+ very tight tree lined hole on local course: I place my proxy 3 times for par; my buddies are in the woods with their drivers.

Club qualifier: Pilot (putting putter), Proxy, Envy, Zone.
I hear you on Envy. I use when I'm thinking about hyzering in my zone but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it there (I feel like there's almost nothing prettier than an Envy on hyzer). Similarly, if I'm thinking Proxy but need to smash it due to distance needed OR if I need to go straight with slight left finish and just give more hyzer. Admittedly, Proxy and Zone are most used and I would drop the Envy first. But my Envy knows when it's her time to shine.

I really want to add my Aviar back into that mix. Just cementing my qualifications.

I bag 2 pures for putting and throwing, and have a judge for longer anny approach shots. Also have a z zone and a tactic (they overlap but zone skips more, the tactic sits better). Also keep bouncing between a p2 and a wizard for when the pures aren't working for putting (or I can't hit anything and blame it on the disc lol).

Right now I'm carrying 5.
Two putting Fireflies and throwing AviarX3, Firefly, and Sonic. Occasionally I add another Firefly or thrashed KC Aviar depending on the course.

Was going through extra stuff in the basement deciding what to sell and took a peek through the P2 box. Pulled a couple of premium plastic goodies out that I simply will never need to throw with how long a C-Line or S-Line putter lasts.

I did however count my putting putters. I uh, have a lot. 34 p-line P2s now. 12 in the practice stack, 2 in my bag, and 20 freshies.

I must remember to stop adding these to my orders.

The only putter I actually liked throwing was my woodchuck, but after the whole stay at home order gave me lots of time to experiment, I have grown to love both the rhyno and the ringer gt. They are technically approach discs I guess, but the jawbreaker ringer gt kicked my jawbreaker challenger out of my bag as my putting putter because I love throwing it as well as putting with it

I feel like this thread was made for me! I absolutely adore putters. Basically any shot under 250' will be a putter for me. Sure there are exceptions once in a while, but this is the general rule.

...One of my favorite things to do is go... with 4 different putter molds... It's a very satisfying way to play sometimes.
I feel like this is every round for me :) ^^^ New putters are constantly auditioned.

There are so many molds that could be my favorite putter; it really depends on the day you ask. The common theme is that they are relatively neutral when thrown 250'+. Not understable, not overstable... just neutral. If a company makes a mold like this, I'm probably gonna love it.

My current favorite is the Aviar PandA but, depending on the day, could just as easily name Envy, Proxy, Pilot, Ohm, Rhyno, Colt, Stud, Dart, Voodoo, Magic, Warlock, Wizard, Challenger, Magnet, etc etc etc. Adding more to the list would just bore you; you get the idea.

If I had to pick only one for the rest of my life, I'd choose the venerable Aviar PandA because it is cheap, widely available anywhere, and available in just about any plastic.

EDIT: to the extent that I have "a bag" I will almost always have the following:
1 lid (Polecat or Sonic usually)
1 understable putter
1 neutral or slightly overstable putter (this slot changes the most)
1 overstable putter (almost always Rhyno)
1 soft putter for tricky greens (R-Pro Rhyno or R-Pro Aviar usually)
2 putting putters in identical plastic, color, run, wear

Last edited:
I feel like this thread was made for me! I absolutely adore putters. Basically any shot under 250' will be a putter for me. Sure there are exceptions once in a while, but this is the general rule.

I feel like this is every round for me :) ^^^ New putters are constantly auditioned.

There are so many molds that could be my favorite putter; it really depends on the day you ask. The common theme is that they are relatively neutral when thrown 250'+. Not understable, not overstable... just neutral. If a company makes a mold like this, I'm probably gonna love it.

My current favorite is the Aviar PandA but, depending on the day, could just as easily name Envy, Proxy, Pilot, Ohm, Rhyno, Colt, Stud, Dart, Voodoo, Magic, Warlock, Wizard, Challenger, Magnet, etc etc etc. Adding more to the list would just bore you; you get the idea.

If I had to pick only one for the rest of my life, I'd choose the venerable Aviar PandA because it is cheap, widely available anywhere, and available in just about any plastic.

EDIT: to the extent that I have "a bag" I will almost always have the following:
1 lid (Polecat or Sonic usually)
1 understable putter
1 neutral or slightly overstable putter (this slot changes the most)
1 overstable putter (almost always Rhyno)
1 soft putter for tricky greens (R-Pro Rhyno or R-Pro Aviar usually)
2 putting putters in identical plastic, color, run, wear

Speaking of the Magnet, a disc with a big comedic Horseshoe on the disc flying into the basket would look cool, Pro D is the plastic that would work for, most versatile. Well actually the Jawbreaker would be most used for putting/approach but the plastic is hard to see a stamp on, if you get the more swirl type plastic and the Stamp is in a foil that is close to the other color to the plastic.

I'm a putter-y type of guy myself. Long Long ago, when I first started I distinctly remember telling my friends, "Putters are a waste of money when you can just putt with drivers." How wrong I was! Fast forward 15 years and the majority of discs in my bag are putters and a big percentage of my tee shots I'm using a putter :)

DX Aviar: Inside Circle Putts
Electron Atom: Outside Circle Putts
DX Polecat: Touch shots, off the tee on 200' or less, technical lasers, run the basket if I'm afraid of a blow by (LOVE POLECATS!)
SS Wizard: Driving Putter
XT Proto Colt: Controlled turnovers 250' or less
Crystal FLX Zone: Forehand upshots or HUGE hyzer Putt attempts, sticky landings, headwind disc
Star/G*/R Pro Rhyno: Used this before the zone (same type of shots)

Also been known to hyzer flip some crazy lines in the woods using Star Wedges :)

Question for all you putter experts...are any of you proficient at flicking wizards? I love throwing a flick as an upshot between 175 feet and jump putt range (probably 60 feet for me.) I putt with wizards, and I like driving with them on holes under 240ish. However, I just can't get a clean release with them on a flick. I've flicked all sorts of other putters (judges, shields, aviar 3's) but something about the bead/nose of a the wizard makes it hard for me to flick cleanly. Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do enjoy throwing putters, but think I like throwing mids a little more. I really try to limit the putters in my bag to one OS, one Stable, one putting mold (maybe the Stable and putter are the same). I feel you can get a lot done with a good stable putter, working angles, and maybe have a fresh/beat one for a little more variety.

Right now it's the Zone (been that way a long time) and the Reko (and Judge for putts). The Reko is so buttery. Has a decent medium depth and flat top, so pretty comfortable, and flies so true. So, Zone/Reko ftw.

Question for all you putter experts...are any of you proficient at flicking wizards? I love throwing a flick as an upshot between 175 feet and jump putt range (probably 60 feet for me.) I putt with wizards, and I like driving with them on holes under 240ish. However, I just can't get a clean release with them on a flick. I've flicked all sorts of other putters (judges, shields, aviar 3's) but something about the bead/nose of a the wizard makes it hard for me to flick cleanly. Anyone else have this problem?
I don't know about the Shield, but the Judge and Aviar3 are low-profile designs that are all the rage these days. The Wizard is an old-school deep putter. It's not as easy to get used to for the flick as the shallow putters. It certainly can be done but it takes...practice?

picture.php

Being that most of us play disc golf for fun, the shallow putter option is very tempting. They are just easier to flick.

I'm in the 4-5 putters range in my bag most of the time, and putters make up the bulk of my extra discs. Whereas most drivers of a particular flight characteristic across different brands share a similar shape and profile, putter shapes vary quite a bit more. So for me there's always been a lot more trial and error in finding the right putter for putting and the right putter for approaches/drives. I learned to play in the early 00's when KC and JK BB aviars were all the rage (plus the Wizard cult following) so after I got over the newbie fascination with chucking faster discs and I committed to learning to throw slower speed discs properly, that's what I went with. I like beaded putters but the broad square-ish shoulder of the KC aviar never felt quite right in my hands. Fast forward a few years to when I started playing again and there's a dozen new disc brands selling dozens of new putter molds and my putter collection started to grow. I haven't tried all that many because I like to give each disc an honest shot and play with it for a few months, but it's a part of my bag I'm always tinkering with.

Currently in the bag:
K3 Rekos x2 - putting only. I like the small bead for resting my index finger on. Shallow flat top works well with my grip. I tried a K1 Reko as a driving and approach disc for while, but I could never get a consistent release for those shots.
Omega BB x2 - Driving and approaches. Aviar PnA top with a nice fat bead... this disc just feels great in hand. Stable enough to take a good rip but can handle turnovers as well. Currently throwing both an AP Millenium standard plastic and ET (XT-type) plastic.
BT Hard Harp - This disc has probably saved more strokes from get out of trouble shots than anything else I carry. Plus it's just a great OS approach disc. Headwinds, flicks, big hyzers, etc...

On deck to try:
Zone - A lot of people rave about this disc for similar uses to the Harp. I've been happy enough with the Harp that I haven't gotten around to trying a Zone yet but curiosity will get the best of me one of these days.
Envy - I love throwing putters of the tee which is what this disc is all about, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I can't get a clean release on a forehand with a Wizard either. For me it seems to have to do with how the bullet nose rests on my finger.

I can forehand polecats, Aviar P&As, and all the big bead aviars, but I just can't get a clean release with a Wizard.

Yeah, practice was showing better results, but I already had good results fore-handing Yeti's, so why make more work for myself? I ended up dropping Wizards. I know, sacrilege! But it's my game and I throw what works. No need to reinvent the wheel. :p

I can't get a clean release on a forehand with a Wizard either. For me it seems to have to do with how the bullet nose rests on my finger.

I can forehand polecats, Aviar P&As, and all the big bead aviars, but I just can't get a clean release with a Wizard.

Yeah, practice was showing better results, but I already had good results fore-handing Yeti's, so why make more work for myself? I ended up dropping Wizards. I know, sacrilege! But it's my game and I throw what works. No need to reinvent the wheel. :p

Thanks man, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for. I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining why I found them difficult to flick, but the "bullet nose" is the perfect description. I'm not sure any amount of practice will make me feel comfortable with flicking them with that nose. Ultimately, there's enough molds out there that I think I can find something that feels like a stiff wizard for putts and bh, but with a different nose that is better suited for flicks. Seems like another reason to try out an aviar P&A

I love Wizards.
I like, like Polecats, Birdies, Upshots, Scales, Jokeris, Rhynos, Bergs....
I like a bunch more.

Latest posts