• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Putters Getting Slicker Over Time

I've had a "few" thousand putters through my hands over the years (more so in the last year). If you want to keep the chalky, super grip feel that certain putter runs have from the get-go (usually softer/more flexible) you need to buy more of the same...age, sun, oil, etc., all age discs in a unique way. I used to swear by 1994-1996 Magnets (still 1 in the bag). I would pull out a 15 year old "brand new" putter out of storage and make it "old" in less than a month just by playing with it occasionally. It doesn't take much hand grease to break things in beautifully...

Although I am now a 170g Chalky SS Wizard lover, I am not sure I could turn down a 1995 Mystic Mills Glow Magnet. I basically ran out of old stock and had to move on. Wizard vs. Magnet is not even a competition that most would consider - but I am old school.

If I remind myself that I am throwing a Wizard instead of a Magnet before every "circle" putt, they ALWAYS seem to go in. Maybe I need to snap a rubber band on my wrist or something and remind myself that the Wizard will always fall left so I don't unconsciously try to throw straight-line floaters like my old Magnets were so brilliant at. I still wish I could drive with putters...

I think my problem is probably a combination of a slight change in my form and my main putter getting a little slicker. I've been working on my 25'+ putts and I've added a little zip, I'm probably putting harder now than I should from 20' and in. I may try a couple of the tips for getting some grip back on my disc. Or I may swap putters for a while and drive with my main putter to rough it up a bit. Or maybe I'll break out my old Wizards... But I'll likely just lessen my weight shift on shorter putts.

the pores of any plastic will fill with dirt and dust particles over time. I learned a trick in my R/C racing days that washing the tires with simple green cleaner brings them back to as new or even better. This trick applies really well to disc golf discs as well. be forewarned though it will mess up your stamps

I've had a "few" thousand putters through my hands over the years (more so in the last year). If you want to keep the chalky, super grip feel that certain putter runs have from the get-go (usually softer/more flexible) you need to buy more of the same...age, sun, oil, etc., all age discs in a unique way. I used to swear by 1994-1996 Magnets (still 1 in the bag). I would pull out a 15 year old "brand new" putter out of storage and make it "old" in less than a month just by playing with it occasionally. It doesn't take much hand grease to break things in beautifully...

Although I am now a 170g Chalky SS Wizard lover, I am not sure I could turn down a 1995 Mystic Mills Glow Magnet. I basically ran out of old stock and had to move on. Wizard vs. Magnet is not even a competition that most would consider - but I am old school.

If I remind myself that I am throwing a Wizard instead of a Magnet before every "circle" putt, they ALWAYS seem to go in. Maybe I need to snap a rubber band on my wrist or something and remind myself that the Wizard will always fall left so I don't unconsciously try to throw straight-line floaters like my old Magnets were so brilliant at. I still wish I could drive with putters...

This post lost me. I thought we were talking about putters losing their tackiness and how to regain it.

Give it a good wash in the sink with regular dish soap and a towel. Works wonders for bringing back that tacky feel to R-Pro and DX putters.