• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putters.. what weight?

After careful consideration, I decided to go with a soft magnet. I've ordered a black one that's 173gm. I'm using the Omega SS putter for shorter putts right now & a soft wizard for longer putts. The Omega SS is pretty well worn in. I'll go between the wizard & Omega & see what feels more comfortable. My first ever putter was a soft wizard. They do beat up pretty fast, but for $7.49 that's ok. Today was a good day putting, getting two rounds in, so things are looking up:D

Just picked up a 175 Rhyno DX this weekend because my 170 Aviar wasn't up to par. (Pun intended.) It's effectively retired for now.

The Rhyno holds the line much better and is a tad heavier. I really like it so far.

After careful consideration, I decided to go with a soft magnet. I've ordered a black one that's 173gm. I'm using the Omega SS putter for shorter putts right now & a soft wizard for longer putts. The Omega SS is pretty well worn in. I'll go between the wizard & Omega & see what feels more comfortable. My first ever putter was a soft wizard. They do beat up pretty fast, but for $7.49 that's ok. Today was a good day putting, getting two rounds in, so things are looking up:D

Glad to hear!!!...another tip....when you find a putter you feel "comfortable" with, get at least one more in the same weight, just for practice putting, and/or to have as a backup...just in case!

when it comes to my putters i like 172-175. cant tell you why... never putted with anything less than 172 so i just have confidence with these heavier weights.

I recently (~ 2 months ago) switched from a max weight putter to 166g. I feel much more confident on putts in the critical 15-25 foot range & am making a much higher %. Similar make % on shorter & longer putts.

I like them on the heavier side. (175+) This, of course, helps in the wind but I also feel like I get a more fluid arm motion.

DannyM....

Once I do figure out which short range putter is the one, I do plan on getting at least one more. I think it's sort of a waste of time to practice putt with just one disc. You have to walk back & forth twice as much if you only have one practice putter;)
Do you ever get up to the Greenville, SC area to play? We plan on moving there in about a year. We've played Easley, GV & Greer.

Ive got 2 Voodoo's and a magic, Hard Voodoo for approaching. SSS Voodoo for overstable putting, SS Magic for Understable putting.

Ive got 2 Voodoo's and a magic, Hard Voodoo for approaching. SSS Voodoo for overstable putting, SS Magic for Understable putting.

Really, you have a SSS Voodoo? ;)

I have almost the same line up. Soft or Med Voodoo for approaches, SSS Magic for true putting. Will use the Voodoo for headwind putts. All putters are 175.

Havent read thru the entire thread but I throw 170-172 weights the 2 yrs I been playing (prod banger-pro-d magnet-sss wizard-sss magic) I noticed if its a 170, the putter tended to pop out of the chains/basket where the 172s would stay put