• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting: Barry Schultz

IllustratorVir

Eagle Member
I was watching the 2016 Earlewood Classic and I really started to pay attention to Barry Schultz's putting form. I couldn't help but to notice his posture in comparison to the other competitors. I also noticed that his chance is about shoulder width apart, quasi straddle. Normally, when I straddle I have my stance really wide and my posture is usually bent more at the knees/hips. Well... after trying to emulate Barry's stance, I can say he is on to something. Here is a pic for reference:

uKWnDya.png

I was pretty amazed how easy this was to adopt. Also, misses left or right became less common because my entire body is postured and facing the target. It was fun and I look forward to working on it some more.

Video of the tournament so you can see it in action. :D

Cheers!

Seems to be working for him and so far works for me, too. :D

I'm not sure Barry is the guy I would choose to emulate. He is a notoriously streaky and inconsistent putter (by the pro standards, I'm sure hes a much better putter then 95% of disc golfers). He has a severely nose down delivery which makes it very difficult for him to make a lot of those circles edge puts where you can't jump.

I'm not sure Barry is the guy I would choose to emulate. He is a notoriously streaky and inconsistent putter (by the pro standards, I'm sure hes a much better putter then 95% of disc golfers). He has a severely nose down delivery which makes it very difficult for him to make a lot of those circles edge puts where you can't jump.
In my mind, when I win two world championships, the masters championship, USDGC three times, get sponsored by Innova and then inducted into the Hall of Fame, I will begin to criticize Barry's putting style. Until then, if it works for me, it works for me. Thanks anyway. :hfive:

In my mind, when I win two world championships, the masters championship, USDGC three times, get sponsored by Innova and then inducted into the Hall of Fame, I will begin to criticize Barry's putting style. Until then, if it works for me, it works for me. Thanks anyway. :hfive:
Pbmercil is correct, Barry was known as a very streaky putter but when he was on, nobody could touch him. His driving and approach game is in the top 3 of all time though.

He's also pretty tall, which probably has something to do with his style. I think a shorter person would have trouble pulling that off.

Yeesh. Whatever dude. I guess I'm not allowed to say that Peyton manning wasn't a very good qb last year either cuz I haven't won 2 super bowls.

Barry was consistently the second best player during his run at the top of the sport. And anyone who watched it (like me) could tell it was because KC was a significantly better putter. In today's game Barry at his peak might not have even be a top 20 putter.

Yeesh. Whatever dude. I guess I'm not allowed to say that Peyton manning wasn't a very good qb last year either cuz I haven't won 2 super bowls.

Barry was consistently the second best player during his run at the top of the sport. And anyone who watched it (like me) could tell it was because KC was a significantly better putter. In today's game Barry at his peak might not have even be a top 20 putter.
I appreciate the history lesson. :)

I believe Barry narrowed up his stance because it was putting too much stress on his hip. I know when I practice straddle putts in a wide stance my hips feel it.

I appreciate the history lesson. :)
Barry also wasn't a very good wind putter since he had such a pronounced push putt with nose down trajectory. You don't see very many people with that putting style anymore because it is very difficult to score well in the wind.

Barry also wasn't a very good wind putter since he had such a pronounced push putt with nose down trajectory. You don't see very many people with that putting style anymore because it is very difficult to score well in the wind.
What if the nose trajectory was neutral?

That would be slightly better. Nose down headwind push putting is impossible because your putt drops like a rock and you'll just put them in the dirt under the basket all the time. A neutral flight is better but still touchey.

Barry did have hip problems a few years back and had to alter his driving and putting form for a while. I'm sure that it just evolved into what you're seeing now. Just like any sport you adapt and overcome injury then try to correct whatever caused it so it won't happen again.

I've been told Barry's nose down putt is due to putting on the old spitty baskets. He's a phenomenal putter if you ask me. Maybe not Paul mcbeast good but pretty damn good.

That would be slightly better. Nose down headwind push putting is impossible because your putt drops like a rock and you'll just put them in the dirt under the basket all the time. A neutral flight is better but still touchey.

Would still be a bad putting style for the wind. Spin or spush putts are much better than lofty push putts when windy.

And that's what spin/spush putters believe. The truth is neither style is better than the other. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I also believe that's why the younger top pros you see adopting the hybrid style (I don't call it "spush").

But look at the top fifteen players in the world now:

by rating --
McBeth -- hybrid
Wysocki -- push
Locastro -- push
Doss -- spin
Feldberg -- push
Sexton -- push
Schultz -- push
Schusterick -- hybrid (he was all push at one time, yet now it's difficult to say which is his go to now)
Koling -- push
Lizotte -- spin
Johansen -- spin
Brinster -- push
Seaborn -- hybrid
Nybo -- spin
Climo -- push

Next 5:
Rico -- spin
McCray -- push
Leiviska -- push (although he changed from spin 4 years ago; still uses spin in certain situations)
Crabtree -- spin
McMahon -- hybrid

So there you go :
Push 10, 6 of top 10
Spin 6, 2 of top 10
Hybrid 4, 2 of top 10