• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting form Poll

Most used putting style.

• Total voters
I putt from the center of my body still with my spin putts. Maybe I'm defining a spin putt differently than others. My spin putts don't go miles past when I miss. Spin putts have more of a tendency to spit out of the chains when they hit the left side. Pitch putts, with little to no spin, will still catch and drop in, even on the left side of the chains.

I use the weight transfer spin putt mainly. I have also used the pitch version but havn't practiced it as much. I feel more confident with the spin put and I am still in my circle of trust if I miss.

Weight transfer, one foot forward, spin putt and I still suck at putting.
I'm much better than I used to be, mainly because of hours of practice.
I have lots of problems with wind and elevation changes.
When it's calm, I'm fairly comfortable inside of about 18', trying to work on a comfortable range out to 33'.

I always straddle spin putt. I feel like I am a lot more consistent with my X-coordinate aiming. I always seem to hit a part of the basket on putts < 30 feet. I just need to work on my Y-Coordinate direction because I seem to hit the tray a lot when I miss.

my putting style depends on how good i am shooting on any given day. yesterday i was push putting and missed something like 8 in a row. i then went to stradle and sank a good majority of them , or came very close.

I try to practice as much as possible on my putting. My biggest problem is putting on very windy days. I have tried putting down towards the basket when it is real windy but mr.Wind still seems to take my disc for an unscheduled ride far away from the basket.
So I would like to ask-how do you deal with the wind when you are putting? I have tried different things but to no avail.

Inside 30' I pitch. Outside 30' I spin- pitch. When I try to straddle-putt I feel like I have no power (cant get it to the basket). You need a straddle putt every once in a while so I need to practice those & also flick (side-arm) putts!

I try to practice as much as possible on my putting. My biggest problem is putting on very windy days. I have tried putting down towards the basket when it is real windy but mr.Wind still seems to take my disc for an unscheduled ride far away from the basket.
So I would like to ask-how do you deal with the wind when you are putting? I have tried different things but to no avail.

I was a horrible wind putter but started using a Zone on really tough days. If it's so bad that even the zone doesn't do it I turn the Zone upside down for anything inside of 20. Learned that trick here and it has saved me buckets of strokes.

The Zone is a manhole cover...

Z

Inside 30' I pitch. Outside 30' I spin- pitch. When I try to straddle-putt I feel like I have no power (cant get it to the basket). You need a straddle putt every once in a while so I need to practice those & also flick (side-arm) putts!
That sounds like what I do. Shorter pitch putts but more of a spin if longer.

this weekend, i exclusivly putted straddle, and found that as im a natural spin putter i was spinning it alot, but my intention was to pitch as much as i could,

what i discovered was this. there was never ever a reason for me to have a different position to the straddle. Slopes, distance, wind, trees, height.... whatever. I see this as a good thing, because it confirms that i can learn and master 1 putting style and thats it.

the other thing that this weekend confirmed, is that i'm a long way from mastering the straddle putt, but i can straddle/straddle jump putt all the way out to 60ft without having to change putter.

so im now a convert, straddle all the way.
One dat I hope to put like Barry.!

I went practice putting last night and modified my technique a bit for more consistant results. I changed up my stance to allow for more of a pitch and to align myself better with the chains. I'm now standing about shoulder-width apart with my right foot foward by about a foot's length (if you drew a line horizontally from my right heel it would meet with the toes of my left foot). Just enough to make me feel more stable when shifting my weight. I still put a modicum of spin on the disc but I'm now starting with the disc down between my knees to get a good pitch. Lastly I fixed my grip. I hated how inconsistant my release was on putts and did some research to find out its almost universally agreed upon that all four fingers need to be under the flight plate and I was keeping my index finger on the rim. Initial impressions were positive. Even though I wasn't sinking a ton from more than 15' out I was hitting metal on nearly every putt and thats improvement that makes me smile.

I put my index finger on the rim and have pretty consistent releases, im by no means a pro at putting, but I feel confident around 30'

I put my index finger on the rim and have pretty consistent releases, im by no means a pro at putting, but I feel confident around 30'

I don't mean to say it can't work. I found a few instructional vids on youtube where the instructor uses that style of grip. But as I looked further into grip I found most advised that all 4 be under the flight plate. Since I felt my releases were inconsistant at best and sloppy at worst I decided to change up the grip, and my releases aren't magically perfect all the sudden but it has been a marked improvement so far both in gettting a clean release and accurate putt. Its all subjective, ya know? What works for my hands won't work for the next and might work moderately well for the pair after that.

weight transfer and spin.

only straddle when there's something in the way.

i still can't figure out for the life of me how guys do that turbo putt jazz..

I'm trying to figure out which form is best for consistency because I straddle and am really unconsistent.

I can straddle putt and "inline" putt. Usually, I putt with one foot forward (inline). However, sometimes I just stand over the putt and feel like straddle putting would be better. Depending on if its a downhill, uphill, level, short, or a long putt will help me make my decision. I straddle for all uphill putts (more power this way) and severely downhill putts (can get lower so its not as far down). I always inline putt long putts (unless they're uphill) so I can put more power on it. And, feel it out for level ground short putts.
Anyone else do this?
DSCJNKY

Straddle putt break through.

I'm trying to figure out which form is best for consistency because I straddle and am really unconsistent.

I had a major break trough whils playing pp360 in the park the other day.

the trick with the straddel putt is to imagine that the disc is a 175 g ball. Swing your arm, pendulum style, back and forth weighing up the shot as if the disc were a ball. Focus 100% on this swing, smooth and consistent, just trying to lob the ball in the basket. (throwing the disc on its side can simulate the flight of the ball)

Now you have the weighting of the pitch right, the 'ball' is gonna go in. However due to the discs shape you need to get it rotating to keep it flying through the air and not tumbling, so as you swing your arm pendulum style, curl and uncurl our wrist gently to give the disc enough spin to keep it level.

Once you have the hang of the spin the disc its just a question of getting the weighting right.

you'll know when you figure this out right, because the basket will start to look like a catchers mitt.

I've switched many times between the straddle or the weight transfer and I feel better with the latter. I only use the straddle within 15 feet and on windy days. It all depends how you feel that particular day. Sometimes you like to straddle and bang away, and sometimes you like to bang it sideways.

Latest posts