• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting form Poll

Most used putting style.

• Total voters

Jungle Tim

Birdie Member
I have noticed recently a large number of pros on you tube putting with the straddle putt, even when there is not thing in the way at all.

So Im wondering how most people putt.

I generally do not putt straddle unless there is something in my way as I just feel more comfortable putting one foot in front of the other. I think putting is really all about what feels most comfortable to you.

Recently I have been working on the snap on my putts and have seen some improvement in distance and accuracy. I am still not really consistent outside of 25 ft but have definitely improved.

I've wasted more time than I care to admit trying to find success straddle putting. All that time I should have just done whats comfortable and practice it over and over and over again. So thats where I am now and it turns out I'm most comfortable with a weight transfer and putting spin on the disc. I'm not sure if I do it the same way as others but I've been improving quickly doing this with the more firm wizards. And I found this out by clearing my mind of how I should putt and thinking simply put the disc in the chains and I let my body do what it thought was best.
I'm still only a so-so putter at best right now but I have seen significant gains.

i have experimented with many different putting styles because i stink at putting, always trying to find something comfortable to stick with and focus on. i just can't seem to get the feel for the weight transfer type of push putt, so i am focusing on the spin putt. i have seen improvement, but still miss a lot during rounds over 20ft. as far as straddle putting, works great for me on uphill putts, but other than that, i don't use it.

I can't vote because I am not consistant enough yet to have only one way of throwing. On throws over 20-50 feet I have found that recently I have been bringing my arm back in with the disc pointed on a strong hyzer angle, but then when I bring my arm forward and release it is coming out perfectly level with a lot of spin allowing for better glide. This is something that I have noticed a lot of pros doing and it seems to have helped me a lot for some reason. On putts inside of 20' I usually just do a little bit of a push putt, I dont putt a lot of spin on the disc, I just kind of push it into the basket. Then on putts over 50' I tend to stand sideways to the basket and do a little more arm motion along with weight transfer to help with power if needed. In contrast on putt inside of 50' I tend to stand more like a straddle, but I always like to have my right foot closer to the target, unless the lie doesn't allow for it. I think it frees up my body a little more. I cannot stand straddle on long putts because I simply cannot generate enough power that way, I need my hips to get into the action.

None of this may be correct only what has worked for me!

I used to straddle putt exclusively, but it is not quite as comfortable for me and when I'd get to where I needed to putt further distance I'd have to switch to one foot forward. I now putt with one foot forward most of the time. I try to pitch putt if I'm in within 15 feet or so, but I have to put spin to be accuarte any further out than that...I just try to minimize the spin. I practice straddle putts a lot too though because there are lots of times in a round where the straddle putt just makes more sense.
It's my opinion that straddle putting, more than other styles of putting, really requires that you are completely relaxed and confident in your putting. Maybe that's why you see pros doing it more often than casuals.

I have noticed recently a large number of pros on you tube putting with the straddle putt, even when there is not thing in the way at all.

So Im wondering how most people putt.

Inside of 20 on good terrain I'll generally pitch putt with weight transfer

Outside of that a straddle putt seems to work better.

pitch and spin

What's the difference between a "pitch" putt and a "spin" putt? :confused:

Pitch Putt - Delivering the disc as if it were a softball (in flight path), as little spin as necessary. This is considered a safe putt as you should not go too far past if you miss, but can be susceptible to the wind.

Spin putt - This requires a flatter trajectory, tends to have more power and therefor spin. Can be delivered from the side of the body, like an approach. This type of putt can yield much greater range for putting, and will penetrate the wind better, but, as experience tells me, can go miles past!

Pitch Putt - Delivering the disc as if it were a softball (in flight path), as little spin as necessary. This is considered a safe putt as you should not go too far past if you miss, but can be susceptible to the wind.

Spin putt - This requires a flatter trajectory, tends to have more power and therefor spin. Can be delivered from the side of the body, like an approach. This type of putt can yield much greater range for putting, and will penetrate the wind better, but, as experience tells me, can go miles past!

I putt from the center of my body still with my spin putts. Maybe I'm defining a spin putt differently than others. My spin putts don't go miles past when I miss. Spin putts have more of a tendency to spit out of the chains when they hit the left side. Pitch putts, with little to no spin, will still catch and drop in, even on the left side of the chains.

I weight transfer my short putts. Does anyone else do a chickenwing putt? I use this once i'm outside 20 ft. I bring the disc from behind my back down by my knee and release on a slight hyzer. It flattens out and glides towards the basket. I can get alot of distance from this putt. But I get alot of stares from other players. They ask me if I used to play ultimate. I have never played ultimate this is just a shot that i used to throw with a frisbee playing catch with my buds growing up.

I weight transfer my short putts. Does anyone else do a chickenwing putt? I use this once i'm outside 20 ft. I bring the disc from behind my back down by my knee and release on a slight hyzer. It flattens out and glides towards the basket. I can get alot of distance from this putt. But I get alot of stares from other players. They ask me if I used to play ultimate. I have never played ultimate this is just a shot that i used to throw with a frisbee playing catch with my buds growing up.

That isn't what we call a chickenwing around here. Then only name for what you do that I know of is an "old school frisbee toss".

The Chickenwing is gripped with your thumb under the rim & your fingers on top of the disc then thrown forehand.

That isn't what we call a chickenwing around here. Then only name for what you do that I know of is an "old school frisbee toss".

The Chickenwing is gripped with your thumb under the rim & your fingers on top of the disc then thrown forehand.

I saw an video compilation where one guy threw his drive like that. Very odd to see he bent over so fast to get his body weigh behind the drive. Wierd, to each his own i guess. That's why i love this sport some many shots, so versitile.(sp)

Latest posts