• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Game/Practice

cooliomcfly

Ok, so i am a relatively new disc golf player (4 months) and i have everything developed to an acceptable (to me) level...besides my putting. I have a practice hole in my backyard, and recently i came up with a routine/game to play, and was looking for tips to help improve the game and my practice sessions, as well as share to anyone else who is interested.

How to play:
Step 1: start stopwatch

Step 2: (skip to step 3 if your only using one putter) Take 10 steps in any direction from the foot of the basket. turn around, and throw all putters in a row. if only one misses, pick it up and move on to step 3. if two or more miss, pick them up, and repeat leaving the putter(s) that made it into the basket behind. When you are down to one putter, move on to step 3.

Step 3: Take 5 steps away from the basket, turn around, aim, and throw. If you miss, repeat. If you make it, move on to step 4.

Step 4: Now take 6 steps away, turn around, aim, and throw. if you miss, go back to step 3 (5 steps away). If you make it, go on to step 5.

Step 5: Repeat the process going up to 10 steps total, making 6 in a row with a 1 step distance intervals between steps. (if you're only using one putter, go on to step 7, if not, go to step 6)

Step 6: Repeat steps 2 through 5 until you have gone through all your putters.

Step 7: Stop stopwatch, record time. YOU WIN!

Extra note: to make each throw more different, you can move around the backet between every throw to make wind or elevation a factor. Also, all steps are arbitrary and adjustable to an individuals skill level.

I have found that, in my skill level, i make almost all 5 step throws (only really slip up when i just dont care or am not paying attention to wind), make most 6 step throws, about 60% 7 step throws, 30% 8 step throws, and hardly none of my few 9 or 10 step throws. i also like how this system determines the location, distance, and wind direction for you, instead of just walking away until i decide to throw. it also adds pressure in the higher step throws, making them more important in practice. As i said before, any improvement or criticism is very much appreciated!!! Thank You!!!!

i find putting practice from a set distance(20-30ft) (with 3-5 putters) in your yard or inside your house
gives you a base you can visualize when your on the course.

so basically no matter where your at you feel like your just at your house in a controlled environment, and you can adjust from your base to account for wind or elevation

When I practice before a round I start off with my three relatively identical Aviars. I see people practice with 2 to 4 completely different putters all of the time, I just don't get that. After about ten minutes or so I go down to just one. You only get one chance to make the putt when you're playing for real. I don't practice any putts under 30 feet. To me, shorter putts are more of a mental/confidence thing.

That seems like good practice, but it won't get you in the habit of making your putts quite like the "30 minutes of putting for 30 days" that's detailed on this site. I'm on day 30 today and my short game and approach shots have improved significantly. It seems boring to throw from an easy distance (5 steps in your case) over and over again, but it really trains you to hit your putts and to expect to hit them.

Here's how I've done it:

Throw six identical putters in model and weight. There are several possible outcomes and results:

If you make all six, move back a step from your starting position for the next "round".

If you make 5/6 you've earned the right to stay at that starting position for another six.

If you make 4/6 or less you move forward a step.

I repeat this for the full 15 minutes (it's two 15 minute blocks with a break in between). The only other change is that if I miss more than 50% of my putts from any location after I've "earned the right" to stay there I also move forward. Once you've lost the right to stay somewhere you have to be perfect again to move back there. If you fail to stay there again, you have to be perfect twice in a row. I did have to hit 21 in a row once (using seven discs) and pulled it off, but you usually run out of time before you reach that point.

That sounds really complicated but it works and doubled my consistent putting distance over the past month. It provides an incentive and allows you to track your progress as you go. Plus it forces you to stay focused on hitting your putts for the full time that you've allocated for practice.

That seems like good practice, but it won't get you in the habit of making your putts quite like the "30 minutes of putting for 30 days" that's detailed on this site. I'm on day 30 today and my short game and approach shots have improved significantly. It seems boring to throw from an easy distance (5 steps in your case) over and over again, but it really trains you to hit your putts and to expect to hit them....

I absolutely can't wait to move into my new house which actually has a yard so I can start doing stuff like this!

My warmup and putting practice at the course always starts with at least 10x 10 foot putts, the sound of chains makes me happy and gives me confidence.

I think you should lose the stopwatch aspect of your game. Putting isn't about going fast, it's about repeating the same fluid movement time and time again.

I like playing a game we call darts when practicing with a group of people.

Set your desired putting line. 2 discs each.

1pt for hitting metal
2pts for chain
3pts for sinking your putt
first to 21 wins with a 'must win by 2' rule attached.

My warmup and putting practice at the course always starts with at least 10x 10 foot putts, the sound of chains makes me happy and gives me confidence.

ditto. when warming up i always start short and then add distance. starting short builds confidence and locks the putting motion in.

try perfect putt 360 for a good practice routine.

I like playing a game we call darts when practicing with a group of people.

Set your desired putting line. 2 discs each.

1pt for hitting metal
2pts for chain
3pts for sinking your putt
first to 21 wins with a 'must win by 2' rule attached.

Fun group game, but almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. I do not believe in being rewarded for misses, even if you hit metal. It trains you to just hit metal, not sink your putt.

I do no games when I putt.

I've always focused on those putts from 20ft to 30ft since there are what 70% to 80% of your putts will be.

When I first started out I went through a lot of putters until I found what I liked.Find something you like first then really focus on those 20ft to 30ft putts,still take the time to do the 15 and in putts.I've seen guys in Tournaments miss these, so it helps just to throw a few in there to know the feel for that distance.

Now what I do since I've gotten pretty good at putting is I don't focus anymore in practice.It's all about my muscle memory.This helps me out on the course since now that I am focusing, I'm usually pretty automatic from 20ft to 30ft.

Oh and keep your chin up.This helps keep your putts up and prevents you from hitting the bottom of the basket.Also make sure to get in the habit of kicking your back leg out.This will come naturally once your comfortable with your form you choose and it helps get more oomph on the putt.

Always remember putting is the hardest thing in disc golf.If you find yourself missing putts,just step back take a breath and relax.Not everyone is going to make every putt,not even the big pros.Keep that in your head and you'll get much better in the long run in putting.

Latest posts