• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting on Hills: No Bead or Floppy?

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
What kind of disc does everyone use on putts when the basket is at the top of a hill? I have heard that discs without a bead like a Warlock are less likely to roll.

Then yesterday, someone told me that very flexible putter's are better. Unfortunately, I can't even think of how to simulate the circumstance at home or know of a nearby course to practice this shot on.

Attachments

• putt question.JPG
    putt question.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 18
Part of being a good putter is being consistent. That means using the same putter.
Find a putter that feels right in your hand and stick with it. Using a different putter for different shots will not improve your game.

Quite a few times I've read people on this site claim they have tried "tons of putters" and nothing seems to work for them....that's because of one simple cliche'..... "It's not the disc". :D

I don't think bead has any role at all, my Magics roll all day.

That's good to know Dave. And I do always use the same putter but I just wondered if I should approach this putt differently to improve the chances that it wouldn't roll on a miss.

My normal putter. If you put it in, it won't roll. If you're worried about roll, you probably won't put it in.

Do you have a practice basket? If so, you could set it up on something to elevate it (deck, wall, back of truck, roof of car, whatever) and practice. I usually find that my putter is running out of speed as it approaches the basket so even if it misses, it lands close and flat.

That's good to know Dave. And I do always use the same putter but I just wondered if I should approach this putt differently to improve the chances that it wouldn't roll on a miss.
If there's a chance you might miss and it will roll, lay up instead.

I used to carry a Blowfly around with me because if for some reason it did get up on end (which wasnt likely it was so floppy) it was like a flat tire and wouldnt go very far. I stopped carrying it though because it got to where I wasnt likely to make the shot if I was using it since it was hard to predict the flop in my hand so I decided might as well just lay up with my regular putter if its that risky.

Floppy is less likely to roll as most of the engery will dissipate upon hitting the ground with the discs recoil. I play a course where short birds can roll down hills for bog or worse. Only timefloppu putter roll is it you hit the cage and it comes down on it's edge.

I carry a woodchuck for these situations. If it is mega hilly I will most likely lay up than go for it unless I am 100% sure I will make it. I will even lay up for bogey if the consequences are double or triple bogies.

On extremely unforgiving pins I usually switch to a high loft spin putt so the disc just falls flat and close to the basket if I miss. In that situation I usually only get roll aways if it clips the basket and flips on edge.

I carry a pro rhyno for hills like you're saying. Normally I will use a DX. I see both schools of thought, but I like carrying different plastics of the same mold for different reasons. I'm no pro, but it's what currently works best for me.

I'll either use a push/loft/lob style putt or if I can come in from the side, a hyzer putt that will hit and slide with the hill so as not to roll.

If I'm playing a course that has a LOT of these type holes I bring a floppy disc that is most like my putter when I want to lay up.

I used to use a Blowfly II which is actually a really neat disc, but now I'd use an Eraser soft Voodoo.

\/\/

I'll use my SSS Magic... it has rolled in the past, but is less likely to roll than my Rhyno.

For the same reason, I use it on baskets near water.

It doesn't make any difference what disc you use, if you land the disc on edge, with a forward spin, its likely to roll.

Anny putts are the most dangerous for hilltop pins, and spike hyzers can take nasty bounces, especially with softer putters.

The trick is to figure out how to make the disc land flat to the terrain when it lands, if it doesnt go in.
As mentioned above, a stall putt that floats straight down will usually be more likely to pancake on the ground near the basket.

If the basket is at the top of a hill and there is no drop off on the other side then it's a dead run with my #1 putter, period. If I hit metal and roll away oh well. The only possible adjustment I make is to make sure I put enough height on it so I don't hit the baskets and take the roll. It's extra easy to come up shot putting up hill. Of course, you can get a roll by bouncing off the top but I'd rather miss high than low.

I really don't think there's any putter THAT much more likely not to roll. I bought a Blowfly for upshots to sidehill pins thinking it would be most likely to stick. I found that due to the flexibility it's equally likely to spring up and catch and edge (and then roll). I use Aeros for those shots but any dead stable putter is probably just as good. You want to avoid an overstable putter for these as you want the disc to land flat.

I'll go with a SSS wizard instead of an evo wizard for shots like this, but I'll still use the evo if I'm inside the circle. If it lands it the basket it doesn't roll.

Just pay attention to the hill you're on and the angle of putting you're going to use.

For example if you're on a hill that's sloping from high left down to the right (the opposite of the one on the top left corner of this page), throw a straight or anhyzer putt would make the putt less likely to roll than a hyzer line.

I carry a Blowfly if I'm on a course where I know I have a basket on the side of a hill ('Ala Devens in MA).

Laying up flat/with the hill sounds great unless the hill is full of rocks and roots that causes the disc to bounce and roll.

Screw 100ft putt backs. I'll carry the Blowfly.

How you put is much more important than what you put with.

Do a loft put, very little spin, but throw it high up and make it land FLAT. Imagine trying to put in a way that it lands on the basket and stays up there.

Latest posts