• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting practice ideas

adamdadkins

Hi all,

Given that there is a bunch of snow on the ground, going out to the course is a bit of a difficult proposition. However, I have an Innova practice basket (the Traveler, I think it's called) and I want to do some putting work. I recently committed to my first tournament and in between my workouts, I figured tightening up the putting and approach was a solid idea.

My question to you guys: what are some of the ways you practice putting? I saw a video with Paul McBeth throwing into a net with the chains tied up, for example. I typically do some "in the circle" shots and then throw approaches.

Thanks!

-Adam

I take about 10 discs and I put em in a line every 5 feet. Putt 5 discs at each only move on to the next when you sink all 5 and if you miss 3 you have to start at the beginning

My putting is pretty solid, I have confidence that it will win me games, but it definitely didn't happen over night. I tell you my experience, not because it is the best way, but because it has been working for me.

A couple years into playing pretty serious, I knew I had to do something about my horrendous putting. I had a month of house sitting for my parents and about 28' of indoor living room space. I threw 1000 putts a day (10 putters, same mold/weight) for about 22 days - machine gun fire, repeatedly from 15/20/25/28'. I kept track in a journal of how many I made/missed/streaks. Idea being to build muscle memory.

Did I see immediate results? I bet if I had been keeping putting stats, I would have seen a slight improvement, nothing huge, but I could notice a difference, most importantly I knew what a good putt felt like, I could recreate that moment in my mind, and my muscles "remembered".

Since then I've practiced a variety of ways, but my favorite is to play a putting game (pp360 or 1025 or similar). But I don't putt from any one particular spot, I mark off 5-35', then place my putters randomly approximately along that line (not knowing the exact spot or distance, using a variety of obstacles (an old christmas tree or two, a stack of chairs, a hoola hoop mando, etc or what ever is possible, or obviously if you're outdoors use a variety of obstacles and elevations and WIND conditions). I focus on each and every putt as if it matters - I practice the same way I play competitively, every putt I come to on the course I have practiced. And let me mention wind again, "it's too windy to play" F that, get out there, learn the wind, learn how it helps you (I let myself get in a place where I was scared of the wind, which I believe stems from practicing indoors way too often if the conditions weren't perfect outside.) Practice in the worst conditions, be prepared for the worst, and excel in the best.

Last edited:
I like to start out at fortyish feet and throw two putters. Make both, move up three feet. make one, stay there. miss both, move back to the previous spot. Don't go backwards from your original starting point. It usually takes a while to make it inside thirty feet. Work your way up to gimme distance, then play going backwards for two makes and towards the basket with two misses. See how far out you can get. This way of practicing gives you the most reps on the edge of your makeable putt zone.

I throw like 3 ions at my basket from 30 feet, hit metal and one of them bounces off and hits my car.

I have an Ion too. I just don't like the feel of it compared to my Aviar collection and my Wizards.

Set up a basket inside my family room and was consistently hitting 10-20 foot putts. Less consistently hit ones past that. (I actually measured with a tape measure, too.)

Thats why you needs a base line putter. MVP putters are too bouncy.

Lulz

Don't practice putting at measured distances, practice with the same mold and weight putters that you currently use, and most of all, have fun!

i have worked on my putt for a while. i am 90% in no wind at 20 feet. 30 feet 60% 50 feet 20%. that is where i need to work on. i took my innova skillshot and i took a belt and wrapped the chains. so i can only hit metal. trust me i have missed where the chains would be. i am training my mind to only hit pole.

My local disc golf shop has a room in the back for putting and such. He has a basket in the center of the back wall and left/center/right markings about 10' back for 3 sets and a 4th center mark beyond that. I've been trying to weed thru my putters and decide what to use going forward and I'm doing my testing here. 1 hard and soft of each model, throw each disc 1time from each station. It will be 20 puts w/each mold in one run thru. Assign points for misses, half for rim/chain outs and no points for an outright miss.

Once I decide on a putter I will have 4 or 5 probably of whatever mold I like best (already have 5 Judge and 6 Wizards) and I will do larger groups from each space. So nice having an indoor area for practice when it's this cold out.