• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting practice logs with 1025 game.

banknwank

Eagle Member
I spent some time sorting out my mid range game this winter. I have seen improvements in distance, accuracy and over all quality of flight. I also have better knowledge of my tendencies and know better what disc/shot for given conditions/situation............all this should add up to better scores, right? Yes and no. I have seen a few shots fall from the score card but missing 20 foot putts all day is holding me back. :wall: I know there is other similar threads, but I am going to log my journey into better scores on this thread. Might help or inspire another average golfer.

So , i am not a newb anymore but not a pro either. I drive around 300-350, closer to 300 on most. I can throw my mids to around 300, but most accurate between 250-275.... My putting? Probably not up to par with the rest of my game. I am going to get back to putting in my home made basket (not as forgiving as good course baskets) in the back yard and I am using my 1025 app on my iPhone for testing/measuring my progress.

First scores tonight were pathetic. But I did see improvement right away. Yes ,in an hour and a half, I saw improvement. I haven't spent any time practicing my putter since fall, so we are at ground zero. I might spend ten minuets at the practice basket before a round, but that's about it....... First score was 390 after a short warm up. I started to fall apart at the twenty foot mark. Second round I held up better through twenty feet and found my range on a few of the 30 and 35 footers for a 540. Any body who know this game, knows those are week scores. My goal is for a twenty footer, under average conditions, to feel more like a ten footer and have 30-35 footers be a50% chance..... Realistic and should be attainable with a few evening practices a week, I hope.

I was bummed because this app is only for Apple products, then I found this link:

http://www.1025app.com/webapp/#home

I made a bookmark on my home screen and this Web App works perfectly in Google Chrome for Android. Right on!

You don't have to have the app to play, but the score card and high score storage is nice and simple. It's basically putting practice in five foot increments in distance from three angles for different looks at the basket. Two putts from each position with bonus points for making first putt in a distance bracket. Bonus points for last putt and for 100%........ The bonus points system Adds extra pressure to putts to replicate course pressure. Maximum score being 1025. Obviously, higher scores is easy way to see improvement. I liked being able to identify the distance I start to fall apart and plan to focus din those distances. 20-25 is the distances I start to fall apart. It's not unreasonable to think about making a higher percentage at these distances. I am not so worried about my percentages at 30+ ft at this point, but the desire to score as high as possible has helped me keep my focus at these ranges already. I can see myself expecting to make more of these putts as I progress, and that thought is progress in its own little way.....

Yeah, interesting idea. Anything you can do to make practicing putting more interesting to you.

I've heard of people listening to music while practicing putting. Not what I would recommend.

Putting in the winter time gives you an added advantage of learning to play against the wind, because I find that it's more of a factor, and it gives you feedback that's pretty clear-cut at times.

My strategy has been (this winter) to walk the course with a bag full of putters. Not just one. Maybe four or five. Overstables, understables, and in-betweens. I have multiples of each, so if I want to modify a putt I just made I'll do it.

I'll stop at a hole anywhere from 80' to 6-7' and use all the putters in my bag. Hits/misses don't phase you when you do it like this. This, in my experience, helps me to clear out my mind of the noisy little distractions I have for myself. Basically, what happens is that I am so concerned with making/missing a putt that I have driven myself to distraction, and I end up missing the putt. I also second guess myself at times. The best thing you can do is to have confidence in yourself, and the putts will make themselves.

THANKS! wank, great app. I can see this coming in handy for practice. I made a loop in one end of some bright orange marker string so I can loop it around the bottom pole of my basket then measured out the increments on the string with a tape and marked the string in five foot increments with a sharpie then tied the other end to a stake so I can roll up the string. Now I can practice anywhere (without having to measure every time).

Last edited:
THANKS! wank, great app. I can see this coming in handy for practice. I made a loop in one end of some bright orange marker string so I can loop it around the bottom pole of my basket then measured out the increments on the string with a tape and marked the string in five foot increments with a sharpie then tied the other end to a stake so I can roll up the string. Now I can practice anywhere (without having to measure every time).

That's exactly what I was thinking........I was going to use the rope from my golden retriever. Three rope/strings and tent stake or nail would make for an easy set up. Last night was my first night and simply stepped off the distanc and marked with 3 discs. Then stepped out to next distance and so on. The three sided set up works well in my back yard. One side has elevation changes, one side starts to feel confined, and the other is wide open and flat. It doesn't take a lot of time to play cause you do it right at home. You could use any target if you don't have a basket. If I had to go to the course to practice my putting, I would never practice cause I would play a round instead.

That's exactly what I was thinking........I was going to use the rope from my golden retriever. Three rope/strings and tent stake or nail would make for an easy set up. Last night was my first night and simply stepped off the distanc and marked with 3 discs. Then stepped out to next distance and so on. The three sided set up works well in my back yard. One side has elevation changes, one side starts to feel confined, and the other is wide open and flat. It doesn't take a lot of time to play cause you do it right at home. You could use any target if you don't have a basket. If I had to go to the course to practice my putting, I would never practice cause I would play a round instead.
I hear ya, everytime I say I'm going to the course to practice I end up playing the course. And I like the idea of three different lines to mix it up.

Last edited:
after your post I read the rules and realized I had to make two more strings lol. Now I have the different approach angles. If all else fails read the instructions.:doh:

after your post I read the rules and realized I had to make two more strings lol. Now I have the different approach angles. If all else fails read the instructions.:doh:

Yes, the multiple angles keep I real and change the wind and elevation.......only one angle in my yard gets an elevation change, but certainly a different putt. Let me know how it gos and what kind of your scores your posting.
It's interesting the subtle little things you learn when focussing on one aspect. My wife found her comfort zone for Max putting distance to be around 25 ft after only a few rounds. ( the idea is to increase that comfort zone) After 25 ft ,she starts to modify her putt to hybrid throw/putt in order to get there.....she was able to apply that knowledge in our round this afternoon and make better choices. I still missed several 15-20 footers in my round today......:gross:and gave up 8$ in skins because of it.:wall: I made some longer ones for a push here and there, but collapsed under the pressure of my skin birdie opps......it will come back around quickly with a little effort and time.

Last edited:
I played 3 sets today. Made 495, 495 and 510. Was 100% on 10ft and 15ft, but then I had some problems. Made like one or two fro 30ft and 35ft. Hardest was the one that was uphill.
But still did ok in the following rounds.
It was a fun game, will play more some other day.

I played 3 sets today. Made 495, 495 and 510. Was 100% on 10ft and 15ft, but then I had some problems. Made like one or two fro 30ft and 35ft. Hardest was the one that was uphill.
But still did ok in the following rounds.
It was a fun game, will play more some other day.

Similar to my scores..........I can start to break down around 20 ft. I haven't put in any 1025 rounds yet this week , but I've been spending a little time putting around the back yard. With the minimal time I have spent, I have seen big improvements in my longer putts. Not that I am making a bunch more, but better flights and hitting metal a lot more. I throw 40 footers, then put them all out from the longest miss. When I am running the basket on a 40 footer, my longer misses end up in that 15-25 foot range. That is my trouble zone, so I hammer all my putters from the longer misses. I did make a handful of putts outside the circle out side the circle Sunday afternoon to pick up a few skins and even hammered a 60 foot putt.:clap:
I will test my self on 1025 Friday evening or sat morning and see if my ,so so , efforts have gained any ground. I haven't played a single round this week cause I wore myself out on over 6 rounds this weekend. But I have tinkered with the putters a little.......

Putted around the back yard quite a bit this week end and tried my luck at 1025. My scores were worse this time! Same story as on the course......I quickly fall apart after 15 ft. Not that I have been putting religiously . I have seen some improvements in longer putts, but need to concentrate on getting better in the 15-25 foot range to improve scores in 1025 and on the course. :wall: I have read about people getting 1025 down and having to move first distance out to 15 ft.....I can't imagine how much that would improve my scores on the course. My goal is to get comfortable out to 25, and have a shot out to 35...... We will see I guess. I am going to set up some ropes to make marking out my 1025 course quicker and easier. I have found I don't like to take the time to set it up and start hucking long putts, rather than working on what I need to wrk on.:thmbdown:

I just use a measuring tape and 6 minis. It's pretty easy and fast to set up without ropes.

Because of this and similar putting games I am more confident at longer putts within the circle. The key word is confidence. Work on developing a routine for yourself that works, and stick with it. Practice only as long as you can keep your focus, otherwise you will be wasting your time. Work your routine into every putt, don't rapid fire.

Practice the way you play; play the way you practice.

Practice the way you play; play the way you practice.

very much worth repeating. and probably why I brick any putt attempt during rounds without a beer in hand ;)

A group of friends and myself usually do a 2-4 weeks of daily 1025 before big tournaments. I can say it made a HUGE difference in my game late last year. There is something about the confidence build in the middle of a tournament when you hit a 25-30 footer for par. It also gives me something to visualize - just like the backyard - for some of the more high pressure putts.

I regularly get outdriven, even in my weak (intermediate) division. I cap out around 320 ft but I putt better than the majority of the players I compete against. :)

A group of friends and myself usually do a 2-4 weeks of daily 1025 before big tournaments. I can say it made a HUGE difference in my game late last year. There is something about the confidence build in the middle of a tournament when you hit a 25-30 footer for par. It also gives me something to visualize - just like the backyard - for some of the more high pressure putts.

I regularly get outdriven, even in my weak (intermediate) division. I cap out around 320 ft but I putt better than the majority of the players I compete against. :)

That's the idea. I throw around 300 on average and might see a few 330ish in a round. So not gonna find too many shots in the long game. Finding a few more pars on crappy up shots and capitalizing on drives inside the circle will be the difference between +5 or par rounds for me. I miss bird putts in the 15-20 foot range all the time and I am ready to improve my putting. I have been hitting more longer putts due to the little practice I've put in , but still miss several putts I shouldn't...... I made a few 50 foot runs at the basket today and almost made a few, was able to make my come backs for par, but still missed a few short ones to blow the score. I know I can get there, just gotta put in a little more quality time with the putter. My home course best is sitting at +2, And a little putter practice will get me my even par rounds I've been looking for.

Arrrrrrrg!

I knew I needed to wrk on my putting.......but it's worse than I thought. :wall: Turns out my first score above 500 was a good one! I put in 4 rounds today and didn't break 400:thmbdown:. I started making excuses in my head. My homemade basket is unforgiving .......station 2 has big elevation changes......little colder today and putters are slick......:gross:blah blah blah. Bottom line is I stink and miss too many between 15-25 ft.

On the positive side, it made me mad enough to try harder. I also recognized that I am not committing to putts in that range. I am lightly flopping the disc at the basket like I am worried about long comeback or roll away. Just plain silly ( there is no comeback putt in this game )and a text book example of poor confidence keeping you from making a putt. Grabbed a stack of ten and hammered them at the basket from 15 repeatedly. Concentrated on firm, level and smooth putts and it took the awkward feel out of that range of putt.

I knew I needed to wrk on my putting.......but it's worse than I thought. :wall: Turns out my first score above 500 was a good one! I put in 4 rounds today and didn't break 400:thmbdown:. I started making excuses in my head. My homemade basket is unforgiving .......station 2 has big elevation changes......little colder today and putters are slick......:gross:blah blah blah. Bottom line is I stink and miss too many between 15-25 ft.

On the positive side, it made me mad enough to try harder. I also recognized that I am not committing to putts in that range. I am lightly flopping the disc at the basket like I am worried about long comeback or roll away. Just plain silly ( there is no comeback putt in this game )and a text book example of poor confidence keeping you from making a putt. Grabbed a stack of ten and hammered them at the basket from 15 repeatedly. Concentrated on firm, level and smooth putts and it took the awkward feel out of that range of putt.

Floppy putts might be a sign of a loose grip. Try increasing your thumb pressure and/or index finger pressureFloppy putts might be a sign of a loose grip. Try increasing your thumb pressure and/or index finger pressure.

Work on a routine. Mine involves a deep exhalation before each putt. I center myself mentally. I look at my target and I commit to following through to the target. Come up with your own. Be comfortable, be confident.

Am I a great putter? Hell no. But, I am getting more consistent and my accuracy at distance is improving.

I spent some time sorting out my mid range game this winter. I have seen improvements in distance, accuracy and over all quality of flight. I also have better knowledge of my tendencies and know better what disc/shot for given conditions/situation............all this should add up to better scores, right? Yes and no. I have seen a few shots fall from the score card but missing 20 foot putts all day is holding me back. :wall: I know there is other similar threads, but I am going to log my journey into better scores on this thread. Might help or inspire another average golfer.

So , i am not a newb anymore but not a pro either. I drive around 300-350, closer to 300 on most. I can throw my mids to around 300, but most accurate between 250-275.... My putting? Probably not up to par with the rest of my game. I am going to get back to putting in my home made basket (not as forgiving as good course baskets) in the back yard and I am using my 1025 app on my iPhone for testing/measuring my progress.

First scores tonight were pathetic. But I did see improvement right away. Yes ,in an hour and a half, I saw improvement. I haven't spent any time practicing my putter since fall, so we are at ground zero. I might spend ten minuets at the practice basket before a round, but that's about it....... First score was 390 after a short warm up. I started to fall apart at the twenty foot mark. Second round I held up better through twenty feet and found my range on a few of the 30 and 35 footers for a 540. Any body who know this game, knows those are week scores. My goal is for a twenty footer, under average conditions, to feel more like a ten footer and have 30-35 footers be a50% chance..... Realistic and should be attainable with a few evening practices a week, I hope.

Those are some good scores! I was happy that I broke my high of 255 yesterday evening.

Latest posts