• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting styles

discer47463

Personally which putting style do you believe is the best? Feel free to use pros as examples.

Straddle Putting:
I never use it unless I'm in a jam and it always works out for me.
Why don't I practice this?
It looks goofy until the disc is in the chains.

i have an inline stance. i feel like i use a bit of push and when im about to release, a bit of wrist to get the disc to spin in as well

I've went through so many putting styles and so many different putter lol right now I'm throwing the nate doss style with a yeti aviar

I guess it's mainly straddle putting. What I mean is I've kinda coppied Feldbergs straddle stance were my lft foot is about a foot (no pun intended) behind my rt foot. What I found is a get more of a push off with the legs and can slow my arm speed down and for me, the slower arm speed, has improved my accuracy. I've also started to use the straddle stance in my jump putting. I just move my lft foot further back (approx 2 ft.). Some may say that far back turns it into a staggard stance, but the diff is that my shoulders are still much more square to the basket.
Now in uber windy conditions or I'm more than approx 30 ft out and don't need to jump putt. I use the staggard stance. For me it comes down to the slower my arm speed the more accurate I can be. So in this case. I can get much more leg push with a staggard stance for this "gray area" of distance (too far out for a nice controlled straddle putt, but to close for me to jump putt).

P.S. Notice that I said ME a lot. Advice is always great, but it comes down to what will work for you and this works for me!

Inline stance, but as yearofrolling stated, it seems every time I have to use the straddle putt, it's been effective. I still can't jump putt while at all.

short arm pitch putt is great to try and integrate into your current style. It teaches you wrist extension and palm pushing. after you get the feel, you can try it with you old style.

If your looking to learn putting style and don't have one yet I would say the straddle is the most versatile putting style. It also you the most stance movement without changing your form. Inline putting with a tree in the way forces you to throw hyzer or anhyzer around that tree when putting with a straddle tree on the left, line your left foot up to the lie, tree on the right, line the right foot up. It allows your putting line to start 3-4 ft on either side of your lie without changing your form. But it all depends on what works for you. Putt how you can get consistent and comfortable putts every time. Whatever form that may be.

staggered stance... i putt with a pig so i use a slight hyzer with some spin to putt

While I agree with Hysell, if you can make straddle your most consistent style you'll almost always have a look, something that's not as true for inline putting.

Yeah. I agree with the whatever works for you putting style. Lol my putting however doesn't matter whether I straddle or inline my putting motion never changes.

straddle seems to have been working for me recently. Whenever I'm stuck behind a tree, my long legs tend to give me a nice line right at the basket

I line up and aim my body and then square my shoulders at the basket. This helps me make sure I'm on line every time with the center of the basket, and it's been working so far :)

Go to a straddle whenever I'm putting from trouble and like someone said earlier I seem to make a lot of em and would use it more if I didn't look so dumb doing it. Birdies aren't dumb though!

Oh yah I tend to be more of a push or pitch putter, anything over 75' though I'm spinnin.

Last edited:

Latest posts