• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting with a Nova

Tomahawk Cook

Question for the more experienced members...

I'm looking to buy 5-10 putters this coming Winter and really work on putting consistency and form. I plan on buying a basket for my basement... etc. etc.

I've been putting with the Innova Nova disc for about 1 year now - and am pretty darn comfortable with it. Now, that being said, I've NEVER seen someone else actually use this disc as a putter (only approach, short holes off the pad, and when there's some heavy wind putting). Am I putting myself at some sort of disadvantage by not using 'what everyone else is' as a putter?

My thought was to use whatever I was most comfortable with, as every person would have their own unique fit etc. etc., but I've never really putted repeatedly with anything else other than a soft wizard so I don't know if I'm missing out or not. I've tried other people's putters out but without playing for multiple weeks in a row I've never been able to give another putter a real chance.

Thanks for thoughts and insights!

You don't see people putt with Novas much because it's a new disc and people usually take a while to get comfortable enough with a disc for putting.

Nothing wrong with putting Novas. It's such a short distance it doesn't matter. You can throw bricks at the basket from 30ft if they were legal and you liked the feel in your hand and you wouldn't be wrong. Comfort and confidence are the most important thing in putting. Disc selection is probably the least.

You're on the right path. Being the most important disc in your bag, putters are about what works for you, not others. If Novas work, and you're happy with them, use them.

And sprintermatt here putts them. I'm sure he'll be here soon.

One of the few 1000+ rated players here in CT (he beat mcbeast in Hartford in 2013) is now putting and up shots with the nova. Switched over from mcpro aviars.

He's a spin putter and shoots them in. The aviars were spitting out a lot and now the nova is catching better. I've seen him even do touch shot flicks with it. It just sits with no skip.

He said that there's a South Carolina innova pro who's using novas as his putter too.

inside the circle use whatever the hell you want. I can putt just as poorly with any putter really so its a wash for me I just prefer some over others and guess I might make a few more putts b/c I like it-- probably not. :D

Go for it!

I too have putted with them for a short amount of time, but I just like that my DX Aviars felt shallower to me, so I went back. There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting with them, IMO. If it works, go for it! Don't worry about what others think of your putter. My main squeeze inside 80ft is a DX Aviar that looks like I used to play fetch with my dog with it, then tried raking a gravel driveway with it, and it definitely gets looks, but I also set a state putting record here recently with it. (Not official, but the putting challenge is held at each event put on here in the state, and I have the highest recorded score)

In the end, bang em with a Nova!!

The Nova is actually a great putter for spin putting. It just locks on a line and you don't have to worry about it turning or hyzering out as long as you put spin on it.

I think once you get good with the Nova, you are going to excel with it. It's already dead straight for drives, so putting with it will just allow you to shrink the number of discs in your bag, really.

My only comment on the Nova is I don't like the "rivets" that they use to attach the over mold to the flight plate. Not to mention it was obviously just a copy of MVP's discs (maybe not precise mold, flight pattern - don't get over technical here, people, but it was an obvious design copy).

So I just don't like it aesthetically. But I, nor anyone else here will knock you for putting with something you like and are comfortable with. I have switched over to the Quest AT Crossfire this last year, and it works amazingly for me. No one else I know uses it, but whatever.

You are on track. Get a bunch in the same weight and practice, practice, practice.

Awesome - makes me feel better that I'm on the right track. I definitely put spin on my putts and love that it holds the straight line - only time I miss is when I come up short and get a basket dink.

Thanks for the replies :D I'll be snagging 4-9 more Novas in the next week or two!

Nothing wrong with putting Novas. It's such a short distance it doesn't matter. You can throw bricks at the basket from 30ft if they were legal and you liked the feel in your hand and you wouldn't be wrong. Comfort and confidence are the most important thing in putting. Disc selection is probably the least.
I pretty much agree here. Disc selection isn't a big deal as long as it's comfortable in your hand. Hell, the practice basket in my apartment is full of Yeti Aviars, JK Aviars, an XT Aviar, a McPro Aviar, a Pure, a Pa4, and a Pa3. From 25 feet and in, the flightpath of the disc doesn't really come into play. I (only slightly jokingly) say that from 20 ft, you should be able to make 95% of your putts with any disc in your bag.
Probably not the best advice in the world, but also not a big deal in the long run.

My only comment on the Nova is I don't like the "rivets" that they use to attach the over mold to the flight plate.
Those are the injection points, not attachment points. The rubber is bonded to the plastic all the way around.

I was putting with a nova for most of this season. I'm experimenting with other putters from now until the start of next season, just to be sure I love my novas. I love the effortless distance you can get from their great glide.

Those are the injection points, not attachment points. The rubber is bonded to the plastic all the way around.

Hence why I put "rivets" in quotations.

So if they could have done it like MVP, why didn't they? I am still not completely sure why Innova would opt to leave those "injection point nipples" on the disc.

I don't claim to be a disc designer, but you'd think if they were going to copy MVP they would have at least made it worth their while aesthetically.

I definitely put spin on my putts and love that it holds the straight line - only time I miss is when I come up short and get a basket dink.

And to the OP - if your putts are coming up short somewhat consistently, try tilting the nose of the disc up (so you can see the stamp a little easier). It will give the disc a bit more loft, which is what you want on the longer putts.

I used to have that problem putting uphill all the time.

I have somewhat recently switched to putting with Novas and I love them for a putter. I putt with just a touch of hyzer and these things stay on a straight line and grab the chains like nobodies business. I was using KC Pro Aviars and my longer putts were missing left side chain way too often.

Glad to see all of the positive responses on this thread so far! I get handed a lot of verbal abuse from my buddies in my area for it, all in good fun though... I hope.

For me, it's by far the best inside the circle putter ever invented. I say this because it's combination of a stiff plastic and sleek plate (a vast majority of pros prefer a stiffer putter, and for good reason), and the tacky grip from the overmold. The tackiness is amazing, especially on a hot day. Do yourself a favor and find one with a black rim. I can 'miss' on the weak side with a spin putt and watch it still drop into the basket.

Please, any doubters, try it for yourself! If a putter has a wider margin for error, that's the ballgame. You simply owe it to yourself to learn how to get over the nubs and learn a disc that can do that.

I switched to Pure from the Nova because I have release issues when driving with it and since it's such a sweet straight flyer, some wobble will get you 50 feet to the right of the basket instead of under it.
I practiced putting the other day and brought my 2 Nova, even though I havent used it for 2 months it's still my best circles edge putter... As soon as you're far enough from the basket to actually benefit from the flight I think this is a sweet putter.

Maybe I'll just learn to release it and replace my Pures again.

You can put with a nova as other here have said, but I use them for very short drives 200ft and under, its also a great approach disc as the way its designed makes it sit very well where it lands.