• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Woes - Practice vs Live

When I practice in the yard (atleast 50 putts a day) I try and get myself mentally prepared by playing out scenarios. I throw around for about 10 minutes just to warm up and get comfortable and then begin slowing down and getting into my pre-routine for every putt.

I'll then imagine I'm on a random hole at my course in a tournament, "okay, my drive just landed 25 from the basket and this is for birdie," and play around with the idea that I'm a stroke off the lead or whatever. This simulates tournament round pressure for me. Or I might even apply more pressure and say "I'm 30+ from the basket and this is to save par."

I do that for about 15 minutes, go sit and have a cup of coffee and reflect on how I did. Then I do it again.

What I find is important when 'practicing like I play and playing like I practice' is having a sound pre-putt routine. No matter if I'm 5' away or 50', I do the same thing every time.

For me that involves: getting setup in my stance behind my lie, then lining up my throwing arm with the pole, then a couple forward lunges towards the pole to get my rear foot push off timing in check, then pointing my disc at the focus point on the pole (similar to Shusterik), cock back and EXECUTE.

Lastly but not least, don't get down on yourself if one day your canning everything then the next day can't find your groove, I'm guilty of this frustration, step back, take a deep breath (or a short break) and find your way again.

Good Luck!