• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quest for the best Pitch Putt Putter

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
Yeah, I know a lot of it's feel and is subjective but I'm on a train of new putters and thought I'd get some advice and opinions.

I'd found the SSS Magic as my go to putter but then I learned how to Pitch Putt (a la Nikko, Wysocki) and since then have gone through a string of firm putters trying to find one that fits.

Here's what I've tried with my results.

Gateway Eraser Magic SS 173 - My wife got me a couple for Christmas and they are somewhat on the firm side but it just never clicked. No particular reason except that I felt I needed something firmer.

Gateway Warlock Firm 173 - I went to my local shop planning to buy a Firm Magic but they didn't have any so I got the Warlock. Was a little slick as firm putters tend to be but still have a good grip to it. I got pretty decent with it but still wanted to try a magic as with long putts it would start to fade too early and I thought the Magic being more understable would keep it's line longer.

Gateway Magic Firm 173 - Same type slick feel, ok grip like the Warlock but the biggest thing about this disc was the extra glide. Holy crap, I was hitting the top band of the basket over and over my first round with it. I dialed it in since then but the wind will still affect it more then the other putters and it's actually feels a LOT lighter even though it weighs in at 173 like my other putters.

Gateway Wizard G9i 175 - Yeah, I know it's not tournament legal but I wanted to try the firmest thing out there and this doesn't disappoint. The band of on this thing feel like it's made of steel. The firmness doesn't bother me but it feels so heavy and it drops like a bag of rocks. Even after two weeks I'm still clanging shot after shot off the top front part of the rim.

So, presently I'm using my firm Magic and if the wind kicks up I'll use my SSS Magic and spin putt. I'll also use that to spin put if I'm outside 35 feet or so. I'd mainly stuck with Gateway because I liked the SSS Magic so much and their reputation for Putters. Plus, I putt a lot like Nikko and I know he's used mostly Wizards and Magics in the past.

I'm planning to try out the following and would love some input on them or other putters you think might be great putters for pitch putting.

KC Aviar - I'm not a huge Innova fan but Wysocki uses them and I love his putting.

McPro Aviar - Just because it's new and shiny even though Paul is a spin putter.

Eze or TM2 Pure - I've heard a lot of how this is the best putter since the Wizard in it's glory days.

Vibram Ridge Firm - I hear it's Wizard like and I've felt their discs before and they have a really soft rubber feel I like but are still firm.

S Wizard - Wizards are so popular and I don't want the super hard G9i to be my only exposure to such a popular putter.

I know it's more about confidence and being a better Indian than getting better arrows but better arrows never hurt.

I never really liked the Pure for putting, but it's wonderful off the tee. If you do buy EZE (in the firmer variant)/TM2, I find that a little water on the disc wiped off adds a ton of tack. Discovered that one watering my dog last year.

I putt G9i Wizards with some push and some pitch. I may test the waters on occasion, but I never stray for long. The Aviars (KC and McPro) should be good for you too. They're both incredibly firm. Good luck with your hunt.

Neutron Anode is very firm and flies similar to all of the above but on its own level IMO. I agree about pures as they make great driving and upshot discs but not the best for putts.. Ridge is fine too but seems like a better spin putter style putter due to very good HSS and tacky grip. Anode IMO is very close to aviars and wizards in glide and line shaping capability but more reliable where the ridge/pure are slightly more over-stable.

MikeC has a good(maybe video?) post on why he switched from wizards to ions/anodes...

Neutron Anode is very firm and flies similar to all of the above but on its own level IMO. I agree about pures as they make great driving and upshot discs but not the best for putts.. Ridge is fine too but seems like a better spin putter style putter due to very good HSS and tacky grip. Anode IMO is very close to aviars and wizards in glide and line shaping capability but more reliable where the ridge/pure are slightly more over-stable.

MikeC has a good(maybe video?) post on why he switched from wizards to ions/anodes...

Here.

Definitely check out a Ridge.

I'd consider myself somewhat of a pitch putter and had been using Voodoo's for a long long time, but have recently started using a Ridge and I'm REALLY liking it. The nice thing about the Ridge for me is that its a lower profile than say a Wizard or Voodoo and has less glide, which makes it feel like you're tossing a brick at the basket. I'm still trying to adjust to that difference compared to the Voodoo, as some of my putts are coming up short, but it's really a point and shoot type putter because of the lack of glide.

As far as driving with the Ridge I'd say it's right in between a Wizard and Voodoo; it flies kinda like a slightly beat Wizard (or fresh Voodoo) with just a bit of fade at the end of a straight flight. And what can I say about the feel of Vibram discs? They're great! I'm using a X-Link Medium as my main putter and it's got a great velvety feel, is not floppy by any means, but definitely has give if you bend it. In the Gateway comparison category, I'd say it's in between S and SS. If that's too floppy, go with a Firm.

Man, I hoping my local shop has some Anodes in stock. Aim for the Chains and reading up on them has me really wanting to try one.

I was ready to buy a Ridge but the no glide, drop like a rock is what my Wizard is doing and I keep hitting the front of the rim. I like a little glide but my magic has so much float it's feel like throwing a paper airplane sometimes. Maybe a Ridge (or Wizard) in a lighter weight might work.

Man, I hoping my local shop has some Anodes in stock. Aim for the Chains and reading up on them has me really wanting to try one.

I was ready to buy a Ridge but the no glide, drop like a rock is what my Wizard is doing and I keep hitting the front of the rim. I like a little glide but my magic has so much float it's feel like throwing a paper airplane sometimes. Maybe a Ridge (or Wizard) in a lighter weight might work.

Yeah I suggest it-- I have a blue Proton used I could sell you for $10 if they don't and lots on the MP here. My favorite is my black neutron. Ridge is a good driving putter and their rubber is the shizzz but lacks the distance IMO. Anodes float much better like an understable slower putter but are not an understable putter at all and have great HSS.

Yeah I suggest it-- I have a blue Proton used I could sell you for $10 if they don't and lots on the MP here.

Going to the local shop in an hour or two. If they don't have any in stock, you'll be hearing from me. What's the weight on that blue proton you're got? And what's the difference between Proton and Neutron plastic? On a firmness scale of 1-10 what would you rate it's firmness (and the firmness of medium/firmer anodes in general)?

Once you get the ridge to do it's initial break in(the rim gets compressed together real dense and shiny, then the area where your thumb normally sits on the flight plate gets a little higher) it glides quite a bit more. It still likes a lot of spin on further putts but it's much easier to judge than putters with more glide.

Ya, I'm a big fan of the Anode/Ion combo. I have a medium Proton Ion for (push) putting, and a medium Neutron Anode for putter driving.

Well, my shop had plenty of Eclipse Ions mediums but no Anodes so I'm ordering one online.

I felt up the Ridges but even the medium is wayyyyyy to soft for me.

The medium eclipse ions I felt in the store today were not quite as firm as I'd hoped and they seemed to be almost slightly bowed in/convex. I'm hoping the neutron medium plastic is a hair firmer.

How would any of you compare the neutron MVP putter plastic to say a medium gateway or KC pro?

stick with the g wizards. great for pitch putting...watch nikko when he was wizard pitch putter! almost 100% from 27feet and in...and lots of chances for 40 footers without the blow by fear.

I was using my friends soft anode today, i definitely like that disc. Ended up using my challenger most of the time, but i plan on getting the ion/anode combo..most likely in the soft plastic.

I am a pitch putter. I putted with medium wizards for a summer and swore I would never putt without them. Then I got my hands on a Yeti Pro Aviar. The Yeti has more glide and speed. Where the Wizard feels dead in the air, the yeti has better response to "finger spring." I still drive with Wizards, but it's going to take a great putter to knock Yeti out of the bag.

I found a shop about an hour from my house that has a much larger selection than my local hole in the wall. I'm going to ride over there just so I can feel up all their discs.

I called and they've got the exact Anode I want, right color, plastic, etc. The weight is 175 instead of 173 like I usually use but I don't think that will be a big deal. Before I buy it I just want to be able to pick and and actually test out a few (or at least as much as you can in a store).

I am a pitch putter. I putted with medium wizards for a summer and swore I would never putt without them. Then I got my hands on a Yeti Pro Aviar. The Yeti has more glide and speed. Where the Wizard feels dead in the air, the yeti has better response to "finger spring." I still drive with Wizards, but it's going to take a great putter to knock Yeti out of the bag.

Listen the this guy, yeti all day :cool:
The sunken flight plate makes popping it off your fingers so much easier.

Latest posts