• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about Hershyzer Wall Drill

JCone

So last night I was practicing the wall drill for the first time. I realized I've been leading my entire throw with my front shoulder for the past 18 months. My D has been wildly inconsistent, any where from 290 to 340 (big range). After falling into the wall until I nearly gave myself a butt bruise, I now have another question. During the drill it feels like a "fall" into the wall with my butt leading. In the field (I haven't taken it out there yet) is this a stride/push with the back foot (RHBH) into the plant foot? Looking forward to taking it out there but haven't been able to get out yet and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Thanks in advance.

It gets tricky explaining/processing both feet at the same time and lot depends on your speed. I think you might want to be a little more under control going into the wall, possibly a little more bent/load into the rear knee. This drill will build muscle you might not have used in your rear leg. The slower you can do this drill the better balance you will have. It's more of a load/squat into the rear leg and stride into the wall and fall and drive your rear side forward into the wall from the rear instep. You want to maintain the torque from your rear foot, so it can roll forward, or if you have moved all your weight forward it will drag or kick forward behind the front leg.

The plant foot needs to come down closed enough to be able to catch/brace your momentum and then transfer it to the hip and up to the arm/disc. Once the front big toe plants, you fall to the heel like crushing a can under it.

This is almost like part 2 of the hershyzer:

This might help as well: