• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Question for Valkyrie throwers

ian.

*Legalize It*
Hey guys im thinking about picking up a few valks to test out and i was curious how the different plastics range in stability.. CE, JK Pro,4x or 5x , Star, Champ, etc. I have been disc'd down for a while and looking to throw a driver again and for some reason have never thrown a Valk so it seems to make sense and i thought it would be a nice step up from all my dx teebird and comet throwing. Thanks for any feedback :thmbup:

Save yourself the money and hassle of trying to replace CE, 4x, and 5x and go with either Champ or Star. Champ is a bit more stable than star in most cases although I have seen a couple freakishly stable Star Valks.

I like the champ valks because the seam to complement my sidewinder without much overlap. My star valk beat in to almost the same flight.

I'm a long time Valkyrie thrower. Go with CE and JK Valkyries. The Valkyries have stayed in my bag for so many years because they're easily controlled and super reliable. I would stay away from the Star plastic Valkyrie's...they feel great but aren't very durable.

yeah im open to any CE, JK, whatever.. i have some trade bait so i am not to worried about price and what not.. but i would prob get a Star or Champ first just to see how i like the mold.. i tend to like understable stuff.. how would you say the JK, CE compare to Star?

I'm a long time Valkyrie thrower. Go with CE and JK Valkyries. The Valkyries have stayed in my bag for so many years because they're easily controlled and super reliable. I would stay away from the Star plastic Valkyrie's...they feel great but aren't very durable.

I have to disagree with that last statement. I have a star valk that I bought the week star plastic came out and it is still my go to driver. Its been through some **** too including hitting a car that was going at least 50 mph.

I'll also disagree with the go with CE or JK part. I mean if you like paying $25-$50 per disc then go for it, but its not the most economical choice that's for sure.

yeah im open to any CE, JK, whatever.. i have some trade bait so i am not to worried about price and what not.. but i would prob get a Star or Champ first just to see how i like the mold.. i tend to like understable stuff.. how would you say the JK, CE compare to Star?

CE can go either way. I had a white CE that was beefy, very overstable compared to any other valk I've ever thrown. I have a yellow CE that is one of the most understable, extremely flippy, disc that I have ever thrown.

The JKs are much more consistent, honestly right where a valk should be.

As far as compared to star, star beats in and become a little more understable, but to me its the sweet spot and they stay there forever. JKs pretty much stay where they are as far as stability, if I had my choice I would go with the JK over the CE. CEs are very unpredictable so its hard to compare.

I would stay away from the Star plastic Valkyrie's...they feel great but aren't very durable.

i'm semi-new to star plastic, only used it for 4.5 months so far, but i will say that my star leopard has taken serious oat abuse :sick: and has meet trees 20' off the tee many times :gross: and there's not a mark on it :hfive:

star plastic is a tank

sweet thanks for all the info guys... so sounds like i should snag a star to test and if me likey then move on up and snag a JK Pro

In four years, I've only ever had two Valkyries, and they're both Star plastic. I mourned the first one when I lost it, and quickly replaced it. I agree with roadtripstuff that they beat into a sweet spot and stay there forever. But my experience is not very broad compared to others, since my first and only two Valkyries have been Star. This is the one disc that has never left my bag in four years.

I personally throw 5x jk valks. they are still super available and relatively cheap (I just bought three for thirty). I would probably like the 4x's but they're less glidey.

Why are the 4x's less glidey than the 5x's?

On another note....I throw Valks....no my somewhat-noob arm can throw them kind of good....I can get them out to 360' on a normal throw and 385 to 390' on a complete rip when I actually throw correctly...I've found that DX Valks get way too flippy too easily. I've had a DX Valk for maybe a month or two and have played with it for a good 20 rounds...I have to release that thing on such a hyzer or it just wants to turn to the right and glide into neverland...The Champ that I have is so damn beefy that I can only throw it on a turnover shot because no matter how much snap (what little I have) is not enough to get it to flip...the 4xJK that I have is still new and I don't throw it that much yet....kind of afraid to lose it b/c the color is yellowish/green....I want to die it before I throw it...make it easier to see...but when I did throw it it was butter....went for miles and flipped up nice..I do have a star that I should probably put back in the bag and start breaking in if they do get more understable than the Champs...maybe I should get a 5X and try that out..

I would imagine with the 4x's being significantly more flat, some glide would be lost vs the 5x.

I like both star and champ Valks.

I would add that, if you buy 150gm and 170gm champ Valks, you would have your driver duties covered, outside of overstable. The champs don't glide like the stars, but are super reliable a will almost last forever.

A 150gm Valk is a thing of beauty with a tailwind. (mine is star)

My noob $.02 is Pro. Obviously they beat quicker than star or champ but I never wanted a Valk to be stable. I threw a Pro for a while until it went swimming & loved it. I'm throwing teebirds now as my main driver or I'd probably replace it. Pro has some awesome glide

the pro valks are only available in the newer flight number pro plastic right? Most pro discs i have felt all seem to be kinda domey but if i could find a flat pro i wouldnt mind testing one out but i have a feeling that will be hard to do

Latest posts