• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question for Ypsilanti Area DG-ers

Canis Lupis

Bogey Member
In Oct, I played The Ponds at Lakeshore course and the wind was unbearable. My question is is it worth the 50 minute drive back to try it again, or is it windy there all the time? It seemed like an interesting course as it used to be a ball course, but if it's like that all the time forget it. The Throw Shop was solid though.

Sounds like you just went on the wrong day. It's open, so there will be a little more wind, but the few times I've been up it hasn't been super windy. Or if it's really bad and you have some cash, just head over to Rolling Hills.

Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. I'll be right back. Don't you go dying on me!

I got robbed by a sweet old lady on a motorized cart. I didn't even see it comin'!

[/drift]

I haven't played there but my cubical neighbor has played there quite a bit and says it's always windy. Wide open off a lake usually isn't a good mix for calm days lol.

What's really cool about this course is that you play it during the Willow Run air show...All the old bombers and fighter jets flying over while you're playing. It's awesome!

Willow Run airport is real close by. Mostly cargo planes, but the Yankee Air Museum is on site also which has a lot of vintage flying war planes. The airport hosts an air show every year.

It has been a very windy fall and winter at Lakeshore. I've played many a wind free round in the dead of summer though. I did get in 30 holes on New Years Eve day with virtually no wind and 50 degree weather. The Throw Shop is closed until March too if that's the reason you're coming out. I think the uniqueness of this course always makes it worth it a play.

I live in NW Ohio, and I know the ann arbor/ypsilanti area has a bunch of course. my question is what are the best courses to play in that area? I have played Hudson Mills - monster, Rolling hills, and the Ponds.

If you liked the Monster at Hudson Mills, I'd suggest going the metro-park route. The Original course at Hudson Mills is very good. And, your vehicle pass and wristband from Hudson Mills will get you into Kensington if used in the same day. Kensington is 30 miles from Hudson Mills. Each park has a good party store/disc shop located nearby.

At Kensington someone has been doing a great job of clearing the am pads. I'm not sure about the courses at Hudson Mills, but I assume they're keeping up with the snow as well.

I live in NW Ohio, and I know the ann arbor/ypsilanti area has a bunch of course. my question is what are the best courses to play in that area? I have played Hudson Mills - monster, Rolling hills, and the Ponds.

My favorites are Rolling Hills, Willow Metropark, and Independence Lake. Cass Benton can be really awesome too, if you go at the right time, but it suffers from disrespectful people. Mary Beth Doyle offers a great little round with a lot of short holes. Bandemer Park is really really good for a 9 hole course, with 3 different tees on each hole that mostly play quite differently, making it almost a 27 holer. Hudson Mills has two very nice courses, and the Ponds is awesome for field work and playing with big drives. Those are the notable ones unless you expand your radius a bit, but with all that great play, you don't really need to.